Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gradually Gearing up for Kokes
I've been wanting to get a couple of koke rods with line counter reels.  I have been doing OK with some softer spinning rods, but just don't really know the set backs, just guessing.  I found a couple of Eagle Claw koke rods at Smith & Edwards a couple of weeks ago. From what I have read on here, they aren't bad and are very reasonably priced.  Compared to other brands, they are down right cheap.

I have been researching line counter reels , with the cheaper ones such as Cabelas Depthmaster, Okuma Magda Pro, etc. that run in the high $40 to mid $50 dollar range. Some mid-range ones looked pretty good but I wasn't looking to spend over $75 a piece. One I had my eye on with good reviews was the Diawa Accudepth plus B.  But it was still a little out of my price range. I stopped at Smith & Edwards on my way home from work today, wandered into the fishing section, then to the reels.  They had the Diawa Accudepth plus B with a price tag of $72.99.  Well, I really didn't want to spend that much, but I had the guy behind the counter check to see if they had any in the back.  They did and brought one out. He then showed me some of the other line counter reels, some were WAY expensive. I liked the Diawa and told him so. I told him I had bought 2 rods and was looking for reels.  I asked if the price was right.  He looked at the tag and said he didn't know, it was a pretty old tag.  He went in the back for a few minutes, then came back out with a Smile on his face and a second reel in box.  He said that they were the last 2 in stock, had been part of their parking lot sale but didn't sell at the time, and once they have been in their inventory for a year they reduce the price.  He said they were $30 each. I gave him a fist bump, grabbed the reels, and left.  What a deal!
Wow, that is a screaming deal, so let me get this straight, you got two [font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Daiwa Accudepth plus B reels for $60? Guess it never hurts to ask, congrats on an awesome deal.[/font]
(07-01-2021, 11:28 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that is a screaming deal, so let me get this straight, you got two [font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Daiwa Accudepth plus B reels for $60? Guess it never hurts to ask, congrats on an awesome deal.[/font]

Thanks.  Yes it was a screaming deal.  I could barely believe it when he quoted me the price.  2 for $60!  He then showed me a really nice  baitcaster reel with a low profile that looked great that was in the same boat, only $20.  I don't fish a baitcaster so I passed.