Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Velocity Rod Comments
I picked up one of the Velocity brand rods offered by obiefishkenobi recently. It's a 6.5' Light action spinner. I also wanted to try a Pflueger President reel because so many people speak highly of them. Spooled one up with 10# Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 braid and a fluoro leader.

The rod has a lovely deep bend that I thought would be ideal for light crankbaits - and so it turned out to be. It loads beautifully with 1/4 to 3/8 oz baits and the Ultra 8 casts a country mile. In the first 15 minutes on the water, a square-lip crank produced a hard strike from a two and something pound bass. The smooth-bending rod kept him pinned and allowed no slack or ripped-out hooks. Perfect performance for a crankbait rod. 

The President reel lives up to its hype, too. VERY smooth both casting and retrieving, and the drag ran with no jerkiness at all. 

My only complaint about the rod is that it does not have a lure keeper ring near the grip. That's easily remedied with a split ring and a zip-tie if I don't feel like adding one the right way.
I have 2 Presidents and love them both.  I doubt I will ever buy a different brand of spinning reel.  Nice catch.
I put two pres's on the two St Croix UL's that I picked up for Cookie last year. We love them (both). I picked up a couple rods from Pat this spring and also adorned them with Pres's. Also love them. I do recall a member warning me about submerging them. I do my best not to (despite having the gymnastic balance, while rock hopping, of a 50 year old Angus bull with hoof rot) - i heed his advice and clean them whenever my acrobatics include baptism.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew