Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Goodbye, Wayne...
Wayne Gustaveson, THE guru of Lake Powell, retired from the Utah DWR on June 30. He will continue to post fishing reports and maintain his much-trusted website as long as possible, he says. 

Gustaveson is almost single-handedly responsible for the introduction of stripers to Lake Powell, and has been the absolute authority on fishing that huge impoundment for decades. His retirement is well deserved.
I bet a thousand fisherman are applying for his job right now...............................where do I apply? Angel Wink
The man deserves a HUGE thank you from every fishermen in the state of Utah. He not only saved Lake Powell from the mismangement of the guru's in SLC, he identified a major biological event that no one knew was happening, the spawning of striped bass in fresh water lakes. That single contribution to the biology and management of fisheries around the country puts him in a special class. His introduction of SMB to Lake Powell and the mangement of the fishery there are both contributions to the sportsmen that will stand for ever.

We thank you Wayne and we wish you the best for your retirement !!!
Congrats on his retirement, he deserves it...

Selfishly, I am Sad that he is retiring. I looked forward to his early spring forecasts that let me know if I needed to plan a fishing trip there in the spring or not...hopefully he will continue those forecasts.

Heck of a nice guy. Ran into him many times out on the lake and at the cleaning station...just a regular guy that tries to make it so that everyone catches fish.

There is no way a replacement Wayne will come close to the old Wayne!
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
(07-02-2021, 10:23 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I wish him a great retirement!  Through some decades of going to Powell every year, I would check his reports to get the latest fishing info from the man in the know.   He is a rare guy that took his job to another level and has provided great fishing experiences to countless fishermen.  It will be nice if he can keep the website and reports going in retirement.