Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Cane fly rod restoral
I've came across an old cane fly rod that needs to be resorted. Any recommendation on someone to
[Image: IMG-20210705-074130001.jpg]

do the work, ideally in the local area?

Larry
Hey, Larry I think there's a fly shop in Logan that would know, or maybe Anglers inn could help you out.
I have two of them too. Looks like yours is in four pieces must be 8 or 9 foot.
Take it to Fish Tech. I know the guy who fixes all their rods.
Is there something special about that rod?  A full restoration will be expensive, and if it is a valuable rod (special name, etc.,) it will actually ruin the value to collectors.  Nevertheless, I love cane/bamboo roods.  Just remember that the level of restoration will determine the final price.  Each ferrule could run you $65 per set.  Each metal handle component could run up to, well the sky is the limit.  Replacing the stripping guide with an, ....... AND IF it has a warp you have the time and risk of straightening.......

Ya, did one of my own several years ago.  I would actually buy a NEW cane kit and build it that way now, cheaper and probably better quality.
I agree with Angling Archer, if it is a quality name brand it may be more valuable not refinished. If it is a run of the mill cane rod it may cost more than it’s worth to refinish it and it might not be any good to fish with. Best to take it to someone that you can trust to steer you in the right direction.
Also do you plan to use it or just display it. It may make a difference in what you want to do with it.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I agree with other and I would be hesitant to spend any time or money restoring it. Hard to tell from your pictures but some of those pieces look warped. It's probably not a rod you actually want to fish with. As a wall hanger I'd leave it as is. There's one with a similar handle and intact guides on eBay for $22 now. https://www.ebay.com/itm/265219744335?ha...SwieZg4zzB
IF you want to "tackle" the rod on your own, PM me and I can talk you through it.  It could take months, depending on shipment times, how much you want to do, and how bad any warping is.  Even warping can be fixed, if it is not too bad, but..........

You have all of the info you need to make a determination on this.  PS, I was young and dumb and if I had sold my bamboo garage sale find to a collector, without "restoring it", it was $25K at the time.  It was a super rare Heddon made with his signature.  I assumed that it was nothing, didn't Heddon only make bass lures - nope.  I did not know this and I was sick for days and days and months and months.  The restored rod now sits on my Son's Office wall (such a waste of a fishing rod). Sad
Here's a bad story !! I had an uncle who was in the import business, they ran a gift shop in the Hotel Utah for over 50 years. He was also, unknown to me, an avid fly fisherman. He made his own bamboo fly rods. Had all the equipment to split the bamboo, shape it, glue it, wrap with silk thread, the whole works. He had his own supply of Tonkin cane, imported from Viet Nam. According to my cousin, there were bundles of "bamboo" in the warehouse that were thrown away when they shut the business down after the Hotel Utah closed. By piecing the account together, there were in excess of 2 doz bundles of cane, all about 18" -24" in diameter, and 4-6' long. When she told me this, I was sick to my stomach because I knew it was the cane he used to build his rods. What a waste !! I was also sick to find out they had taken his tools to DI after his death. In all the years we visited them, I never knew he was such an avid fly fisherman. It makes me ill to this day to think about it!! This ranks right up there with my mother throwing all my baseball cards and comic books away !! Another tale !!
That is a Sad story. It’s enough to make you cry for sure. Too bad all the tools and raw
Materials were lost in the shuffle.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Thanks. Nothing special about this rod. No makers mark and needs significant work. Guessing it isn't worth the to time and money to restore. Just because it's old doesn't mean it's valuable.
My first fly rod was a hardware store $6 Tonkin cane model. I was maybe 13 years old at the time, did some manual labor for an older neighbor to raise the money. I read Joe Brooks book, "The Complete Book of Fly Fishing" and learned the various casts. I could cast 60' in my front yard with the thing. Fly lines weren't numbered back then, but used letters to designate the tapers on each end and the middle section.

I wouldn't put that same $6 into the rod above. Use it as is or display it.
Single main, no kicker. Wink