Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4TH OF JULY PANGUITCH PARTY
Spent the 4th weekend up at Panguitch, and yes...we knew we would not be alone, lol! Fished primarily the South side looking for big tigers. Had some thunderstorms and periods of heavy rain come through that turned the bite on and off, but for the most part it was solid. The epic mayfly hatch that normal happens daily up there was also thrown off, so that had some to do with it. We fished primarily off our toons in 2-3' of water using mayfly and midge emergers, damsels, scuds and leeches. Caught 90% tigers where we were at, which is why we fish that section. Tigers were fat and sassy and really going airborne and bananas on hook up, so fun. Had a couple on 24" + that smoked me to my backing and ended up busting me off in all the vegetation. Landed numerous tigers in the 18-22" range. Fun weekend and we'll be back up there in two weeks, can't wait! 

[Image: Screenshot-20210703-192343-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210703-192422-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210705-165240-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210705-165339-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210705-165409-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210705-165431-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210705-165520-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210705-165545-Video-Editor.jpg]
Thanks for the report and all the photos.  It sounds like it was nonstop action.

That place can kick out some hefty fish.  This is the best time to get them before the weeds really get thick.
I was there a couple weeks ago and hit the north side. Got into all rainbows over there. Maybe thats why I didnt find any tigers?
Wow, great report and photos! Thanks for sharing.
"We fish for pleasure... I for Mine, you for yours."  -James Leisenring
(07-13-2021, 12:34 PM)Fishin_Fool78 Wrote: I was there a couple weeks ago and hit the north side. Got into all rainbows over there. Maybe thats why I didnt find any tigers?

Yeah...we've definitely found the North shore to be best for bows, and the south shore best for tigers. Gotta get into the shallow weeds for those tigers this time of year.

(07-09-2021, 03:09 AM)gofish435 Wrote: Thanks for the report and all the photos.  It sounds like it was nonstop action.

That place can kick out some hefty fish.  This is the best time to get them before the weeds really get thick.

It was pretty steady, but definitely the usual good windows with some slowing down at the usual times. Weather was a little sketch too, so that turned them on and off...but overall very good. Yeah, really wished I could've gotten those two really big tigers in. They can smoke you real fast in those shallow weeds. Thinking of upping to a 3X fluro tippet with the highest poundage I can find. 4X is usually plenty, but not with those really big tigers.
Went back up Friday and had the same success, but also happened to land my PB Tiger for 2021...a hefty female at 27". What a fight! Chronis were the ticket this trip. Really surprises me they are keying on those this time of year. I usually don't fish chronis after the ice-off period ends, even though I know chronis are a year round food source, but not usually in 2' of water. My theory is they are taking them as emergers, not so much as a chroni imitator. Side note, there was a guy floating worms around me and just killing them, literally....several dead floating tigers in the area. Bummed me out. Water continuing to drop, making little fishable areas in the weeds...but they are in there! 99% tigers this trip, with just one bow and one cutt. Fun stuff!
(07-19-2021, 01:04 AM)richyd4u Wrote: Went back up Friday and had the same success, but also happened to land my PB Tiger for 2021...a hefty female at 27". What a fight! Chronis were the ticket this trip. Really surprises me they are keying on those this time of year. I usually don't fish chronis after the ice-off period ends, even though I know chronis are a year round food source, but not usually in 2' of water. My theory is they are taking them as emergers, not so much as a chroni imitator. Side note, there was a guy floating worms around me and just killing them, literally....several dead floating tigers in the area. Bummed me out. Water continuing to drop, making little fishable areas in the weeds...but they are in there! 99% tigers this trip, with just one bow and one cutt. Fun stuff!

Congrats on the big Tiger trout. I was wondering how anyone gets smoked by a trout in stillwater then you mentioned 4x tippet. Did you upgrade to 3x ? Why would you even bother with tippet at all fishing if you aren't fishing dries? Almost certainly cost you those 2 that broke off. Just go with a 3x fluorocarbon leader. The extra $15 a year will dramatically reduce if not eliminate stillwater trout from ever smoking you.
(07-22-2021, 09:46 PM)Riverdogs Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 01:04 AM)richyd4u Wrote: Went back up Friday and had the same success, but also happened to land my PB Tiger for 2021...a hefty female at 27". What a fight! Chronis were the ticket this trip. Really surprises me they are keying on those this time of year. I usually don't fish chronis after the ice-off period ends, even though I know chronis are a year round food source, but not usually in 2' of water. My theory is they are taking them as emergers, not so much as a chroni imitator. Side note, there was a guy floating worms around me and just killing them, literally....several dead floating tigers in the area. Bummed me out. Water continuing to drop, making little fishable areas in the weeds...but they are in there! 99% tigers this trip, with just one bow and one cutt. Fun stuff!

Congrats on the big Tiger trout. I was wondering how anyone gets smoked by a trout in stillwater then you mentioned 4x tippet. Did you upgrade to 3x ? Why would you even bother with tippet at all fishing if you aren't fishing dries? Almost certainly cost you those 2 that broke off. Just go with a 3x fluorocarbon leader. The extra $15 a year will dramatically reduce if not eliminate stillwater trout from ever smoking you.

Yeah, you have to be familiar with where we are catching this big tigers and the environment they are in. I upped to 4x fluro tippet last trip and didn't break any off. The 3X fluro 7.4 lb has always been adequate in years past under normal conditions. The reason I broke 2 big tigers off with it this year is the water is extremely low, so the open water you can fish in the weeds in tiny...they immediately get into the weeds and the 3X isn't enough to horse them out. They are line sensitive, so 4X is as big as I would ever go. Running straight leader isn't an option for the same reasons it isn't an option in river fishing...you need a heaver leader around 6X and smaller tippet 3X-4X to roll out flies casting. You need the smaller diameter tippet to present your flies and get them to take. If you ever have the pleasure of hooking into a 28"+Tiger trout in those conditions, you'll understand immediately, lol. Thanks.
LOL, I've only been smoked by salmonids more than once in a day when fishing fluorocarbon leader only twice. Once was fishing for large grayling and bows in Alaska with a 6 wt rod and 3 x leader. Ran into a bind of King Salmon 15-25 lb range. Hooked into about 10 but only landed 2 or 3. Another time I was fishing the early run of XL silvers below a waterfall in class 4 rapids with an 8 or 10 lb flourocarbon leader only. Only caught 1 out of about a dozen of those bright 14-16 lb bullets. If I had someone to net for me downstream maybe I would have gotten 2-3 if they could mange the net in such turbulence.. Tigers in Stillwater LOL my friend but no comparison. If you're happy with giving up some of the biggest fish you hook into each year keep doing what you've been told. No reason to adapt.
(08-23-2021, 10:31 PM)kalom_XX2 Wrote:
(07-08-2021, 04:06 PM)richyd4u Wrote: Spent the 4th weekend up at Panguitch, and yes...we  knew we would not be alone, lol! Fished primarily the South side looking for big tigers. Had some thunderstorms and periods of heavy rain come through that turned the bite on and off, but for the most part it was solid. The epic mayfly hatch that normal happens daily up there was also thrown off, so that had some to do with it. We fished primarily off our toons in 2-3' of water using mayfly and midge emergers, damsels, scuds and leeches. Caught 90% tigers where we were at, which is why we fish that section.  Tigers were fat and sassy and really going airborne and bananas on hook up, so fun. Had a couple on 24" + that smoked me to my backing and ended up busting me off in all the vegetation. Landed numerous tigers in the 18-22" range. Fun weekend and we'll be back up there in two weeks, can't wait! 

[Image: Screenshot-20210703-192343-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210703-192422-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210705-165240-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210705-165339-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210705-165409-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210705-165431-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210705-165520-Video-Editor.jpg] [Image: Screenshot-20210705-165545-Video-Editor.jpg]

that's awesome congrats man I currently live in Arkansas and am seriously debating whether or not to pull the trigger and buy my first fishing boat. I am rather tired of being limited to bank/shore fishing and the times I have been out with family, friends or rented I have really enjoyed myself. I'd also like to take it out and just spend some time on the water with the family, explore, and some other things.

I am not looking to buy brand new but I would like something that I can take my family on (4 - 2 adults, 2 children). I don't really need top of the line but I don't want junk either.

Buying a boat is a game changer...getting off the bank and being able to fish any water you want to, any depth, makes your options endless. I've loved my 21' Pro Craft bass boat! Good luck!