Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Light weight battery choice
Im curious about battery choices from the group. I have a 17 ft aluminum bass boat. 
Im running a 40 hp outboard and a kicker motor, downriggers ,etc. I currently have two fairly heavy deep cycle marine batteries to support it all. The trouble is , those two batteries add quite a bit of weight to the already loaded up back end taking a little longer to plane, etc.

I started reading about lighter weight alternatives. Im curious , has anyone else had this concern before , did you change your battery setup to something lighter ?
(07-20-2021, 08:34 AM)catfishbait Wrote: Im curious about battery choices from the group. I have a 17 ft aluminum bass boat. 
Im running a 40 hp outboard and a kicker motor, downriggers ,etc. I currently have two fairly heavy deep cycle marine batteries to support it all. The trouble is , those two batteries add quite a bit of weight to the already loaded up back end taking a little longer to plane, etc.

I started reading about lighter weight alternatives. Im curious , has anyone else had this concern before , did you change your battery setup to something lighter ?

If you do not have an electric motor one battery would be fine. If you need two is it possible to move them to a front compartment. I did this with one of my previous boats and moving that weight from the back to the front really helped with getting on plane. I have no experience with lighter batteries.
Good advice moving your trolling motor batteries to the front that will help a lot getting up on plain. If money was no concern I would buy Dakota Lithium 100AH batteries but at $900 a piece there is  no way I can afford 3 for my 36V. trolling motor. Hers a link they look pretty awesome. https://dakotalithium.com/product/dakota...r-battery/
Since both your main and kicker motors probably have alternators, one battery ought to be enough. They do make combo starting/deepcycle batteries. I'd first just take one of yours out to see if it will handle everything.
you could go with a gel battery also, the lightest on i found is 38.4 lbs compaired to the lithium battery that was posted before 31.9 lbs.being a small boat you defiantly want to spread your weight out to maximize the complete use of the boat
I moved my two batteries forward into a compartment to help with the weight balance. That worked out great. I also agree if not running electric motor you should have no problem with one. I only use second battery on trips I use the electric a lot, I have them connected with a switch so I can use one or the other or both. When running I switch to both so they get charged by alternator from 50hp 4stroke merc. On trips when I use it at Powell or the Gorge for Multiple days . I can usually fish 3 days or so without charging, because I run around enough that they get charged by alternator. I always use one for trolling motor one for starting, so I don’t drain too much to start the main engine.
I alternate which battery sometimes to even out the charging and discharging. They are AGM Type and are going strong for about 5 years at this point. I keep them on trickle charge in off season and so far they have been great.
If I was not using electric I pilot trolling motor, I would be fine with one battery.
If money is no object lithium ion, there is a local UT COMPANY that makes a 12 volt can’t remember the name, Costco has sold them from time to time for about 600 bucks. They are quite lite, I think about 20 pounds plus minus. A buddy of mine has 3 in his boat and 8 in his motorhome and loved them. I was with him when he picked up the 3 at Costco for his boat. I was amazed how light they were and also how much they cost, and Costco had a great deal on them!!
I’m much more frugal, than money bags friend LOL.
Moving batteries worked fine for me. LOL
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Thanks folks,,,,,

I really only use the second battery for my DownRiggers, Fish finder, etc. Trolling is only with my gas kicker.

I did order some cables though to move everything forward. I would like to plane a little quicker than I do
since I went to these two big batteries a few years back.
New lithium batteries...20 lbs (instead of 60) and 10 year warranty. $1000 each!!!!! but they are lightweight, and awesome. No, I do not have them, but I know someone who does, and he loves them!
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.