Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swim baits vs Live bait?
I gotta tell you I have used both and it seem sometimes I do better with swimbaits. I was curious to see what other members think.

Do you prefer swimbaits, plastics, spinners?

Or do you prefer live bait, anchovies, smelt, minnows, worms,etc?
[cool]
[signature]
I sometimes go with both of them. I will use worms, spinners and swimbaits in fresh water and I will use dead salted chovies over live sometimes in salt water.

The live bait is nice but not always feasable.
[signature]
During summer in bays in ocean I kill with plastics for bass and sometimes halibut! Work the rock areas with plastics and nice bass tend to show up[sly]
[signature]
I always have a supply of nightcrawlers when open-water fishing. Waxworms are also a must. But I'm getting myself used to artificials. This year, my plan is to fish almost exclusively with artificials. I'll use the worms only when I'm getting desperate to catch something quickly.
[signature]
I use both.
[signature]
Every time I go out I take live bait along, cause you never know whats going to work that day. Have had better luck with live bait over all.
[signature]
I will always have more fun with plastics. I might not always catch as much as I would with livebait, but I dont use livebait a whole lot. I'm looking to get some swimbaits this year and see how those work.
[signature]
Did you check out the ones they have on the Megabait site??? They are really awesome and realistic looking. I'm taking a couple of the live jigs to the CAT with me this weekend.
[signature]

Hey there releaseit,

I'm getting lazier all the time. The older I get, the more satisfied I am with accepting that if I catch fewer fish with the swimbaits than live bait that's OK. In a float tube, live bait is a hassle, a learned skill, but a hassle.

Even though I've got all the bait catching gear, more and more I'm fishing swimbaits. You'll find you'll go more often and fish longer too![Wink][Wink]

JapanRon
[signature]
i prefer fishing lures i find it hard to sit around soaking bait and waiting for a bite i like to walk the bank and toss lures though i will say i have done so much ice fishing this year i have bought more wax and meal worms then the last 5 years past
[signature]
Thanks tube, I will check out the website[Smile]
[signature]
i usually prefer live bait minnows being my favorite worms my second. [reply]
[signature]
You refering to one's like this that I was lucky enough to get for testing?

[image]http://www.fishcatcher.bigstep.com/images/lures/charlie/charliem/charlie07201m.jpg[/image]
[signature]
Yeah that's one of them. That one is the Charlie. I have a few different sizes of the Swimbait Charlie. They also have the live jigs. They come in an assortment of sizes and colors. They just came out with a new color as well that glows in the dark. Super good for night fishing.
[signature]
I have Mega-Baits and Storm swim baits. They both work good under the right conditions. I go out on charters during summer months and I kill the bass and other kelp lovers with them[sly]

I see these guy fumbling trying to get live bait on and after 1 hit gotta reload!! Not swim baits.
[signature]
I have many tyes of swimbaits including megabait's holographic luers.

I too use live bait at the same time I use swim baits.

I like to always have a set line while working a lure. I feal most confident that I will go home with dinner with this method. seldome do I go home with out dinner.

but as to say dose one work better than another? I have yet to decide one over the other. they both work well.

I would have to say if some one is having difficulties with swim or crank baits they should pratice using several presentstions. remember that there are hundreds of anglers pitching the same lure in fornt of the same fish of which many have become wise to these lures including live bait sets.
[signature]