Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Swan Permit
Something I have never done is hunt swans, I found out today that I guess I will be hunting them this fall. My grandson has killed a few, he and his wife both drew tags last season and they both tagged out. I guess I will have to let him guide me. Looking forward to it.
They are fun to hunt. I like to decoy them, have had good success in the years I can draw. I drew a tag this year and do did my wife, after not for a couple years. Looking forward to the fall waterfowl season!
I enjoy swan smoked and hope to smoke two this year!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Four of us got tags this year. So it's going to be a busy season. Decoying them is the only way to pursue them.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(08-03-2021, 03:37 PM)Mildog Wrote: They are fun to hunt. I like to decoy them, have had good success in the years I can draw. I drew a tag this year and do did my wife, after not for a couple years. Looking forward to the fall waterfowl season!
I enjoy swan smoked and hope to smoke two this year!

I do my own goose jerky and everyone seems to like it, so i think swan jerky should turn out OK.

(08-03-2021, 04:23 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Four of us got tags this year. So it's going to be a busy season. Decoying them is the only way to pursue them.

Seems like most people that put in drew.

(08-03-2021, 04:23 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Four of us got tags this year. So it's going to be a busy season. Decoying them is the only way to pursue them.

Seems like most people that put in drew.
It was a no for me.  I drew last year and tagged one.  That makes a clean sweep for me this year, not a single tag drawn in any of the drawings.  Good luck everyone.
Yeah we generally pull a tag every other year on swans.
Can hardly wait for November now.
Unsuccessful for me this year. I had one last year. They are fun to hunt. I have a buddy with a couple doz deeks who took me out and its a blast. Usually the last hour or two of the evening is the best. good luck on your trip.
(08-05-2021, 03:37 PM)RILEYFISH Wrote: Unsuccessful for me this year. I had one last year. They are fun to hunt. I have a buddy with a couple doz deeks who took me out and its a blast. Usually the last hour or two of the evening is the best. good luck on your trip.

Thanks it will be fun to have my grandson Cody guiding Grandpa on this hunt, he always seems to take a swan when he draws the tag.
(08-05-2021, 03:37 PM)RILEYFISH Wrote: I have a buddy with a couple doz deeks who took me out and its a blast.

Pun intended? Smile

I killed mine pass shooting, I let the mature birds go by and then picked a juvey toward the rear of the flock.
Yeah we got ours pass shooting too. Took my navy friend up after sturgeon which cut into our hunting time.
(12-11-2021, 03:33 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:

I killed mine pass shooting, I let the mature birds go by and then picked a juvey toward the rear of the flock.

Pete, did you kill your swan!
(12-16-2021, 06:01 PM)RILEYFISH Wrote:
(12-11-2021, 03:33 PM)PACKFAN Wrote:

Pete, did you kill your swan!

[Image: Gales-Swan-2021.jpg]
Got my tundra swan
[Image: Tundra-Swan.jpg]

back from Dan of Wilderness Taxidermy in Syracuse the other day, I'm very happy with it. If you zoom in you can see where my BB hit him below and to the rear of the eye, I shoot 3 In. Heavy Metal BB. He was #35-40 Yards out
almost led him too far.
That's a great looking mount. They sure are fun to hunt.
(05-13-2022, 10:33 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: That's a great looking mount. They sure are fun to hunt.

Enjoyed my one time swing at them, but that was on my bucket list so that was one and done. Back to my goose hunting.
(12-13-2021, 04:26 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Took my navy friend up after sturgeon which cut into our hunting time.

I hope you are bragging instead of complaining! Big Grin
Maybe just a little. Lol
(05-14-2022, 01:56 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(12-13-2021, 04:26 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Took my navy friend up after sturgeon which cut into our hunting time.

I hope you are bragging instead of complaining! Big Grin

Like Walter Brennan use to say (No Brag Just Fact). Just not interested in killing another one.