Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Happening?
So, it looks like this forum and it's threads are going the same way as many different outdoors forums these days. No one seems interested in posting up any information on what's going on out there. And I dont mean always giving up the where, whats, when, private information that you have gained while fishing, but, what's hot and what's not. 

Some threads that one would think would pick up a little information at least once in a while sit empty for days or weeks unless someone has or enjoys giving out some exciting fishing times they have had at a fishing hole no matter what anyone else thinks.  For example, one that I would think, and in years past normally does have several posts a day at times and at least weekly is Ririe. This year, it has been far and between that much has been posted leaving a lot of anglers wondering what is happening up there since there has been several years in past a bit slow and ppl wondering what was happening to the Kok's and the future of the fishery. Then there's a great story about catching a few eyes and it has made me at least try a couple times to give it a shot for a bit each time I was there to bring in some good tasting eats, but, that story died a slow death.

Then, there's Henry's. Wow, not a thing in ages on it and especially since F&G has come out with it's new proposed regs on there, I would have thought at least someone that fishes there regularly would have posted up the proposals and given some updates on what's happening there.  Then there's Island Park, PallaSades, and other fisheries in central and western Idaho, many of which I am not familiar with but enjoy reading about what's happening there. At least one place like CJ Strike.  Is it even fishable this year? Anyone doing anything?  Salmon Falls, been a while and wasnt a whole lot on it this year.  And those who are posting are long long time members who just enjoy giving ppl a little bit of information on what's hot n what's not.

Maybe it's just me, but, I havent been able to do much as many have seen doing to many health issues that have taken me down in the last 9 months so I havent been able to fish like I've wanted but, I at least try to get some info out here for those who arent members and who just sneak and lerk behind the scenes to get a tid bit here n there.  Maybe it's a bit of the COVID thing that ppl havent been out, but, when I have been out, that doesnt seem to bother anyone in fact, it looks like it has been a record year for ppl to be out n about recreating.

So, sorry if I've gone overboard, but, it just seemed like no one has been doing much and if they have, for some reason they havent been posting and that's everyone's option, but, I know some are out but apparently just havent been on the puter to do any posting and thats their option, but, it sure would be nice to see what's going on around the state.

So, good luck and everyone be safe and secure and I hope everyone is healthy, wealthy, and wise and is enjoying some liquid water time before it goes away.
Yes, I couldn't agree more with your post. I know we lost members when the site was rebuilt last year and some members have been heading over to Facebook but it really is Sad to see this once great board and site deline so much just because the site is a little different. I have said this before but just in case some members are having problems getting back on the site here is a email address you can contact if you want help getting back on this site. bigfishtackle@yahoo.com
(08-05-2021, 01:18 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Yes, I couldn't agree more with your post. I know we lost members when the site was rebuilt last year and some members have been heading over to Facebook but it really is Sad to see this once great board and site deline so much just because the site is a little different. I have said this before but just in case some members are having problems getting back on the site here is a email address you can contact if you want help getting back on this site. bigfishtackle@yahoo.com

I managed one of the largest fishing web sites on the west Coast 20 years ago, The Fish Sniffer and then we did a break away start up that became huge, Imhooked. com 5 years ago we saw the hand writing on the wall. Facebook replaced most of the need for a multi page web site. People could run a lot looser without server and service attacks and not really have to spend the time moderating. The fishing tackle industry was dying as states sold less and less licenses. We sold out while we still could. Timing was a thing. The new owners lasted 90 days.
Ya know, I think Facebook has it's places and it's fine to use it, but, at least in my opinion, everyone doesnt use Facebook still today and so I just think it's great to have a open website like this where folks can post stuff up, and even off n on not on the right forum, but, most are forgivable and let it go. 

Facebook does control us all if we make the wrong comment or statement and then wham, out of no where, your blocked and sent to timeout, but I know it doesnt happen a lot but it does. I guess it's not gonna change down the road, but, without knowing which sites on Facebook are being used, I dont go there, and even if I did, I for one would still enjoy this one.  And I do agree, when this site went through reorganization, it did make it tough for some and I know that I almost gave up on it due to time it took to get in, and I think as said, that is probably one of the biggest issues the site isnt being used like it used to be, but that being said, there still is a lot of old timers on here that post once in a blue moon and maybe they are using FB more instead of hear but they really do offer great insight into whats happening and the how to's on fishing and catching fish on some key fisheries.

So, I guess, it is what it is and we are here and a lot of lurkers behind the scenes who get the information we post and I guess if it helps some, great.
(08-05-2021, 12:03 PM)duksnfish Wrote: Ya know, I think Facebook has it's places and it's fine to use it, but, at least in my opinion, everyone doesnt use Facebook still today and so I just think it's great to have a open website like this where folks can post stuff up, and even off n on not on the right forum, but, most are forgivable and let it go. 

Facebook does control us all if we make the wrong comment or statement and then wham, out of no where, your blocked and sent to timeout, but I know it doesnt happen a lot but it does. I guess it's not gonna change down the road, but, without knowing which sites on Facebook are being used, I dont go there, and even if I did, I for one would still enjoy this one.  And I do agree, when this site went through reorganization, it did make it tough for some and I know that I almost gave up on it due to time it took to get in, and I think as said, that is probably one of the biggest issues the site isnt being used like it used to be, but that being said, there still is a lot of old timers on here that post once in a blue moon and maybe they are using FB more instead of hear but they really do offer great insight into whats happening and the how to's on fishing and catching fish on some key fisheries.

So, I guess, it is what it is and we are here and a lot of lurkers behind the scenes who get the information we post and I guess if it helps some, great.

I prefer this type of format 10 to 1 but I'm a dinosaur.
Thumbs Up 
Totally agree Don, I guess that's 2 dinosaurs Smile
(08-06-2021, 01:17 PM)duksnfish Wrote: Totally agree Don, I guess that's 2 dinosaurs Smile

It's not just the format, I think a lot of us older folks also just hate Facebook and what they do. Just my opinion of course but it's not a problem for most younger folks.
The way that this website functions (when it actually functions) is so much better than how FB works. The simple process of bringing a post to the top, when someone replies to a thread, is a huge improvement over how FB works.

Had the upgrade not have been such a disaster this site would have many more active members. I also miss the many members, and their posts, that used to frequent the Idaho board.
(08-06-2021, 02:49 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: The way that this website functions (when it actually functions) is so much better than how FB works.  The simple process of bringing a post to the top, when someone replies to a thread, is a huge improvement over how FB works. 

Had the upgrade not have been such a disaster this site would have many more active members.  I also miss the many members, and their posts, that used to frequent the Idaho board.

I agree with all of you. I personally have had nothing but boat or trailer problems every single fishing trip this year. Or I would be posting more. I don't know why so many Idaho outdoors men are so afraid of some one else getting their secrets. This site works best by us telling each one what and where the fishing is best. And what works the best. On the FB sites if you post where and how you will get more bad reply's than good. This is a great site. The best. Don't give up, let's keep trying. I wish people here could spend some time on the Utah site (I've said many a time, they are more like a family, then just a fishing site.)
Yep, should be a good place to find info like it used to be, about the only one for Idaho to find info. I haven't been out much, maybe this winter we can do a get together and maybe get the word out to others and grow the Idaho membership a bit, do a BBQ on the ice somewhere.
(08-07-2021, 12:06 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Yep, should be a good place to find info like it used to be, about the only one for Idaho to find info. I haven't been out much, maybe this winter we can do a get together and maybe get the word out to others and grow the Idaho membership a bit, do a BBQ on the ice somewhere.

Good idea Lyle. Count me in.
Only thing I can think of at this point.
All I can say is due to massive health issues this year, I havent been able to fish like I normally would, but, each and every time I've posted info up, maybe longer than I should (wife always tells me, only give the Cliff Notes Version) but, I'm just hoping like the rest things pick up a bit. To bad in some ways that you cant just lurk as non-member to see the info and get more to actually join in the conversations. Oh well keep your line wet and have a great safe year Smile
Most every one on here has posted when they got out. Myself I started a new job this spring, so I've been pretty busy, now just don't get out as much due to all the low water every where I'd like t fish. Maybe get out next weekend to help a guy try and get some eyes.
(08-07-2021, 10:44 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Most every one on here has posted when they got out. Myself I started a new job this spring, so I've been pretty busy, now just don't get out as much due to all the low water every where I'd like t fish. Maybe get out next weekend to help a guy try and get some eyes.

Sorry when I said that at least I post up when I get out.  Ive never met in person anyone from on here, but, I can tell some of the best folk around just from the different invites folks have and take. And I know most everyone on here that is currently posting has been here for the ages Smile and I dont think they will stop. Just nice to have a group that doesnt in most cases get their panties in a wad.  Thanks to everyone.
No worries. I haven't met many in person, but a bunch of great people here with a wealth of knowledge that they don't mind sharing and helping each other out.
I think part of the problem is due to social media popularity and the ease to spread the word. People are reluctant to post where fish are biting and success is good because it becomes a battle zone of competition in a matter of just a few days. In an effort to help out friends the spot suddenly becomes virtually useless. It also seems to have an affect going forward into the next few years with seemingly depleted fish populations.
    While I am totally on board with you guys in preferring forums and don't do the facebook thing, I am also hesitant to post successes on fishing trips in a public format. PM's have become much more preferred because of the one on one limiting factor. Agree it is  Undecided but things are changing. (unfortunatly faster than this old guy can keep up with)
I totally agree, I don't do any social media, but like the forums for some info. I try and hit a few new lakes a year and so when I'm looking at one I just like to know if the bites been good and what they're catching, don't need anyone's secret spot, I'll go find them, it's what I like to do. I'll pm more info if I think it's warranted. If someone really, really wants to know I don't mind going with them and showing them where and what I do. Just offered up to show my boys wrestling coach how to catch walleye after about 1000 questions when I ran into him at the store.
(08-11-2021, 12:02 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: I totally agree, I don't do any social media, but like the forums for some info. I try and hit a few new lakes a year and so when I'm looking at one I just like to know if the bites been good and what they're catching, don't need anyone's secret spot, I'll go find them, it's what I like to do. I'll pm more info if I think  it's warranted. If someone really, really wants to know I don't mind going with them and showing them where and what I do. Just offered up to show my boys wrestling coach how to catch walleye after about 1000 questions when I ran into him at the store.

Only a few years ago you could talk about a specific lake and show some success you had without noticing an uptic in competition. Seems about 2 years or so ago that suddenly you even mention a little success at a specific lake or reservoir and it was like a dam broke and the flood of fishermen desended on the whole reservoir. There wasn't a hole that wouldn't being overrun and it really wasn't even a matter of not telling your secret spot anymore. It was the whole body of water. One that comes to mind was kok's in Anderson Ranch Res. Word hit early one year about 3 years or so ago and the fish got slaughtered with the high keep limit and it hasn't recovered yet. 
     Or you get a senario like CJ Strike where there is still an abundance of crappie but try to find a place to fish. Boats are wall to wall and if you do happen to luck into a nice little hole where your catching some fish, it doesn't take but just a few minutes before boats are squeezing in on you and your constantly getting tangled up with other fishermens gear. Eventually it isn't worth it and you leave.
     I get that our states population is increasing but I have to think it has a lot more to do with people bragging on social media platforms like facebook. To me forums like this seem to be more frequented with conservative fishermen who tend to practise discretion without public volunteering. I find if someone posts pictures of successes without information about where and how, they don't mind pm's from others and are more than willing to share if asked. I like that and respect the info for the person who gave it.
(08-10-2021, 11:06 PM)mtncntrykid Wrote: I think part of the problem is due to social media popularity and the ease to spread the word. People are reluctant to post where fish are biting and success is good because it becomes a battle zone of competition in a matter of just a few days. In an effort to help out friends the spot suddenly becomes virtually useless. It also seems to have an affect going forward into the next few years with seemingly depleted fish populations.
    While I am totally on board with you guys in preferring forums and don't do the facebook thing, I am also hesitant to post successes on fishing trips in a public format. PM's have become much more preferred because of the one on one limiting factor. Agree it is  Undecided but things are changing. (unfortunatly faster than this old guy can keep up with)

I guess I have to disagree with you on this. I know I saw it big time with waterfowl hunting areas because the open areas to hunt have become few and far between and when you find a spot, many, no most, dont post that up because of the very very limited places waterfowl hunters can actually get into to hunt.

As for fishing, I just dont see the comparison. I for one, and I know others here, dont hesitate to post up when, where, how, what etc when they are catching fish and love to see others get in there and catch some too.  I guess I'm speaking of the larger bodies of water like Ririe, Cascade, Salmon Falls, and others. I know for myself, I have asked openly on here how folks are doing and I have gone out and tried the exact same rigs, speed, etc and end up skunked, and that's just how the cookie crumbles. Overall, I hate PM's on fishing spots etc. My opinion is that if you cant post it up in the open, then your not meant to be on this forum. I know many wont agree with me on that, but, what are you doing on a public forum like this if you cant openly share catch information? 

As I have said, I hate FB threads as many times all you get is some giving you so much crap about how many fish your catching and why you fished there it makes it not a bit user friendly. And, there is always a threat from FB that if you say the wrong word, you are going to be banned and cant get back on for a while. Most here have always been friendly and very very few times have I seen any derogatory comments made from anyone and if there has been issues on what was done, it can be said openly and with reason and what was done was either corrected or deleted and it has made all good. We dont need some computer locking us down for what we say or do on here.  We are all able to talk to one another and be open pro or con on what we have done and no one ever really gets p***ed off for saying it and then it's dropped.

I just think posting up information on catch information on a forum like this is so beneficial to those who are members and if you dont like to post it up publicly, then as I said, I dont understand why you are on a public forum like this.  I still think that the owners of this site should make it so that those who lurk behind the computer screen to get your information should be locked down so that you have to be a member to see the posts and information. That would stop a lot of that rush to your favorite fishing spot. What good is it if there are more non-members viewing our posts vs members? If ppl want the information that is successful to us all, JOIN the darn site.

Just my thoughts, but, I have no issue just posting information in the open instead of behind the scenes with PM's.