Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's Happening?
(08-11-2021, 12:04 PM)duksnfish Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 11:06 PM)mtncntrykid Wrote: I think part of the problem is due to social media popularity and the ease to spread the word. People are reluctant to post where fish are biting and success is good because it becomes a battle zone of competition in a matter of just a few days. In an effort to help out friends the spot suddenly becomes virtually useless. It also seems to have an affect going forward into the next few years with seemingly depleted fish populations.
    While I am totally on board with you guys in preferring forums and don't do the facebook thing, I am also hesitant to post successes on fishing trips in a public format. PM's have become much more preferred because of the one on one limiting factor. Agree it is  Undecided but things are changing. (unfortunatly faster than this old guy can keep up with)

I guess I have to disagree with you on this. I know I saw it big time with waterfowl hunting areas because the open areas to hunt have become few and far between and when you find a spot, many, no most, dont post that up because of the very very limited places waterfowl hunters can actually get into to hunt.

As for fishing, I just dont see the comparison. I for one, and I know others here, dont hesitate to post up when, where, how, what etc when they are catching fish and love to see others get in there and catch some too.  I guess I'm speaking of the larger bodies of water like Ririe, Cascade, Salmon Falls, and others. I know for myself, I have asked openly on here how folks are doing and I have gone out and tried the exact same rigs, speed, etc and end up skunked, and that's just how the cookie crumbles. Overall, I hate PM's on fishing spots etc. My opinion is that if you cant post it up in the open, then your not meant to be on this forum. I know many wont agree with me on that, but, what are you doing on a public forum like this if you cant openly share catch information? 

As I have said, I hate FB threads as many times all you get is some giving you so much crap about how many fish your catching and why you fished there it makes it not a bit user friendly. And, there is always a threat from FB that if you say the wrong word, you are going to be banned and cant get back on for a while. Most here have always been friendly and very very few times have I seen any derogatory comments made from anyone and if there has been issues on what was done, it can be said openly and with reason and what was done was either corrected or deleted and it has made all good. We dont need some computer locking us down for what we say or do on here.  We are all able to talk to one another and be open pro or con on what we have done and no one ever really gets p***ed off for saying it and then it's dropped.

I just think posting up information on catch information on a forum like this is so beneficial to those who are members and if you dont like to post it up publicly, then as I said, I dont understand why you are on a public forum like this.  I still think that the owners of this site should make it so that those who lurk behind the computer screen to get your information should be locked down so that you have to be a member to see the posts and information. That would stop a lot of that rush to your favorite fishing spot. What good is it if there are more non-members viewing our posts vs members? If ppl want the information that is successful to us all, JOIN the darn site.

Just my thoughts, but, I have no issue just posting information in the open instead of behind the scenes with PM's.
I agree with you duk. I will almost always tell how I catch them. I don't think we have enough people that follow us to hurt to much. Not like FB. And I am from Utah and the Utah board, and have gone out of my way to meet members there.  And have made great friends from BFT. I think of them as my family. That's what we need here! So feel free Idaho members to join my family. The BFT family.
(08-11-2021, 05:26 PM)fast_randy Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 12:04 PM)duksnfish Wrote:
(08-10-2021, 11:06 PM)mtncntrykid Wrote: I think part of the problem is due to social media popularity and the ease to spread the word. People are reluctant to post where fish are biting and success is good because it becomes a battle zone of competition in a matter of just a few days. In an effort to help out friends the spot suddenly becomes virtually useless. It also seems to have an affect going forward into the next few years with seemingly depleted fish populations.
    While I am totally on board with you guys in preferring forums and don't do the facebook thing, I am also hesitant to post successes on fishing trips in a public format. PM's have become much more preferred because of the one on one limiting factor. Agree it is  Undecided but things are changing. (unfortunatly faster than this old guy can keep up with)

I guess I have to disagree with you on this. I know I saw it big time with waterfowl hunting areas because the open areas to hunt have become few and far between and when you find a spot, many, no most, dont post that up because of the very very limited places waterfowl hunters can actually get into to hunt.

As for fishing, I just dont see the comparison. I for one, and I know others here, dont hesitate to post up when, where, how, what etc when they are catching fish and love to see others get in there and catch some too.  I guess I'm speaking of the larger bodies of water like Ririe, Cascade, Salmon Falls, and others. I know for myself, I have asked openly on here how folks are doing and I have gone out and tried the exact same rigs, speed, etc and end up skunked, and that's just how the cookie crumbles. Overall, I hate PM's on fishing spots etc. My opinion is that if you cant post it up in the open, then your not meant to be on this forum. I know many wont agree with me on that, but, what are you doing on a public forum like this if you cant openly share catch information? 

As I have said, I hate FB threads as many times all you get is some giving you so much crap about how many fish your catching and why you fished there it makes it not a bit user friendly. And, there is always a threat from FB that if you say the wrong word, you are going to be banned and cant get back on for a while. Most here have always been friendly and very very few times have I seen any derogatory comments made from anyone and if there has been issues on what was done, it can be said openly and with reason and what was done was either corrected or deleted and it has made all good. We dont need some computer locking us down for what we say or do on here.  We are all able to talk to one another and be open pro or con on what we have done and no one ever really gets p***ed off for saying it and then it's dropped.

I just think posting up information on catch information on a forum like this is so beneficial to those who are members and if you dont like to post it up publicly, then as I said, I dont understand why you are on a public forum like this.  I still think that the owners of this site should make it so that those who lurk behind the computer screen to get your information should be locked down so that you have to be a member to see the posts and information. That would stop a lot of that rush to your favorite fishing spot. What good is it if there are more non-members viewing our posts vs members? If ppl want the information that is successful to us all, JOIN the darn site.

Just my thoughts, but, I have no issue just posting information in the open instead of behind the scenes with PM's.
I agree with you duk. I will almost always tell how I catch them. I don't think we have enough people that follow us to hurt to much. Not like FB. And I am from Utah and the Utah board, and have gone out of my way to meet members there.  And have made great friends from BFT. I think of them as my family. That's what we need here! So feel free Idaho members to join my family. The BFT family.

Thus the reason I prefer forums over facebook/etc. I think you can still enjoy and create great friendships, share experiences/ideas and theories etc, while using discression on what information you choose to volunteer. The people are usually friendly and one doesn't have to worry about getting flamed for things as simple as a wrong word. 

I appreciate you guys choices on the topic as differences are how we learn ands at the least, enjoy a good discussion.
I'd agree with that. I share way more info than I have ever, but have had people on other forums wanting my exact spot, so they didn't have to put the work in. One thing I love doing is figuring out a new lake, might mean I get skunked a time or two, but eventually I figure it out.
(08-04-2021, 12:23 PM)duksnfish Wrote: So, it looks like this forum and it's threads are going the same way as many different outdoors forums these days. No one seems interested in posting up any information on what's going on out there. And I dont mean always giving up the where, whats, when, private information that you have gained while fishing, but, what's hot and what's not. 

Some threads that one would think would pick up a little information at least once in a while sit empty for days or weeks unless someone has or enjoys giving out some exciting fishing times they have had at a fishing hole no matter what anyone else thinks.  For example, one that I would think, and in years past normally does have several posts a day at times and at least weekly is Ririe. This year, it has been far and between that much has been posted leaving a lot of anglers wondering what is happening up there since there has been several years in past a bit slow and ppl wondering what was happening to the Kok's and the future of the fishery. Then there's a great story about catching a few eyes and it has made me at least try a couple times to give it a shot for a bit each time I was there to bring in some good tasting eats, but, that story died a slow death.

Then, there's Henry's. Wow, not a thing in ages on it and especially since F&G has come out with it's new proposed regs on there, I would have thought at least someone that fishes there regularly would have posted up the proposals and given some updates on what's happening there.  Then there's Island Park, PallaSades, and other fisheries in central and western Idaho, many of which I am not familiar with but enjoy reading about what's happening there. At least one place like CJ Strike.  Is it even fishable this year? Anyone doing anything?  Salmon Falls, been a while and wasnt a whole lot on it this year.  And those who are posting are long long time members who just enjoy giving ppl a little bit of information on what's hot n what's not.

Maybe it's just me, but, I havent been able to do much as many have seen doing to many health issues that have taken me down in the last 9 months so I havent been able to fish like I've wanted but, I at least try to get some info out here for those who arent members and who just sneak and lerk behind the scenes to get a tid bit here n there.  Maybe it's a bit of the COVID thing that ppl havent been out, but, when I have been out, that doesnt seem to bother anyone in fact, it looks like it has been a record year for ppl to be out n about recreating.

So, sorry if I've gone overboard, but, it just seemed like no one has been doing much and if they have, for some reason they havent been posting and that's everyone's option, but, I know some are out but apparently just havent been on the puter to do any posting and thats their option, but, it sure would be nice to see what's going on around the state.

So, good luck and everyone be safe and secure and I hope everyone is healthy, wealthy, and wise and is enjoying some liquid water time before it goes away.
I would still post if I hadn’t moved to Washington. I was planning on posting when I moved back to the area, but that didn’t happen due to the crazy housing market. Sounds like I’m not the only one who hasn’t been out as much as usual lately.
Hey all…. I’ve been MiA from here for a bit… I don’t do as much fishing as I used to do with a rod and reel…. When I’m not Bowfishing I’m usually hunting, I post on HT a lot. Also don’t have time for more than 1 or 2 forums. With me having a Pack Goat business also my priorities are hunting. I still try to post my yearly spring walleye fishing trips to the Columbia River.
Matt
Although I live in Utah and do all of my fishing in Utah these days, I am originally from Idaho  and will always be an "Idaho spud" at heart.  As a kid in Idaho Falls, I spent almost every summer day tromping along Willow Creek where it ran through town before emptying  into the Snake below John's Hole Bridge.  I floated grasshoppers back into the concrete culverts wherever the creek ran under a road.  And I probably caught more 2-3# rainbows before my family moved to California...when I was about 10...than many modern anglers catch in their whole fishing careers.  When I returned to Idaho to visit family a few years later I found that my beloved Willow Creek had been turned into Ririe Reservoir and no longer ran through Idaho Falls.  I could have refilled the now empty creek channel with my tears.  Well, not really.

I have made many return fishing visits to Idaho over the past few decades (too many).  Most trips were with the pretense of visiting family members that were rapidly thinning out with age.  But as soon as the required visiting was over I was off to some fishing spot...like Salmon Falls, Magic, Mackay, Henry's, a spot on the Snake or one of my favorite "trickle creeks" where I still enjoy yanking out small brookies.

I have enjoyed reading the posts on the Idaho board and have been sorry to see the decline in activity.  But I have seen it before.  While living in Arizona I started and ran the Arizona board for BFT.  Started out well, after some footwork and publicity to make local anglers aware it was operational.   There was no "Bookface" or similar then, but there were small local forums that focused on fishing certain areas...or targeted specific species.  And gradually, most of the folks who came to play on BFT drifted back to their former playrooms.

We witnessed the same thing with the California board.  Again, it started out strong, but gradually spiraled down to nothing.  You'd think California would have huge potential.  And it does.  But there must be a bajillion other fishing-oriented websites in the entire state.  Many of them are very area-specific...or species specific...and California is like a separate country with both fresh and salt water.  The available fishing techniques and species are endless.  A single statewide generalized forum like BFT just didn't provide the same warm fuzzies for most Cal anglers' fave fishing activities.

Idaho is not nearly as large as California.  Nor does it have the sheer number of anglers.  But it is divided up into recognizable geographic zones that are difficult to cover adequately in one single website.

I suspect that one of the things that makes Utah more successful is that a large percentage of the angling population lives along the "Wasatch Front"...all within a hundred miles of each other.  And most Utah anglers fish a lot of the same waters for the same species so they have more in common than a more diverse population.  Sure, we have members who live in other areas...and they contribute valuable and appreciated info...but most members are in either Ogden, Salt Lake or Provo areas...and Cache Valley.

What is the answer?  Don't ask me.  I only know the questions.  At least I think I do.  I don't always remember so good at my advanced age.
(08-15-2021, 03:08 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Although I live in Utah and do all of my fishing in Utah these days, I am originally from Idaho  and will always be an "Idaho spud" at heart.  As a kid in Idaho Falls, I spent almost every summer day tromping along Willow Creek where it ran through town before emptying  into the Snake below John's Hole Bridge.  I floated grasshoppers back into the concrete culverts wherever the creek ran under a road.  And I probably caught more 2-3# rainbows before my family moved to California...when I was about 10...than many modern anglers catch in their whole fishing careers.  When I returned to Idaho to visit family a few years later I found that my beloved Willow Creek had been turned into Ririe Reservoir and no longer ran through Idaho Falls.  I could have refilled the now empty creek channel with my tears.  Well, not really.

I have made many return fishing visits to Idaho over the past few decades (too many).  Most trips were with the pretense of visiting family members that were rapidly thinning out with age.  But as soon as the required visiting was over I was off to some fishing spot...like Salmon Falls, Magic, Mackay, Henry's, a spot on the Snake or one of my favorite "trickle creeks" where I still enjoy yanking out small brookies.

I have enjoyed reading the posts on the Idaho board and have been sorry to see the decline in activity.  But I have seen it before.  While living in Arizona I started and ran the Arizona board for BFT.  Started out well, after some footwork and publicity to make local anglers aware it was operational.   There was no "Bookface" or similar then, but there were small local forums that focused on fishing certain areas...or targeted specific species.  And gradually, most of the folks who came to play on BFT drifted back to their former playrooms.

We witnessed the same thing with the California board.  Again, it started out strong, but gradually spiraled down to nothing.  You'd think California would have huge potential.  And it does.  But there must be a bajillion other fishing-oriented websites in the entire state.  Many of them are very area-specific...or species specific...and California is like a separate country with both fresh and salt water.  The available fishing techniques and species are endless.  A single statewide generalized forum like BFT just didn't provide the same warm fuzzies for most Cal anglers' fave fishing activities.

Idaho is not nearly as large as California.  Nor does it have the sheer number of anglers.  But it is divided up into recognizable geographic zones that are difficult to cover adequately in one single website.

I suspect that one of the things that makes Utah more successful is that a large percentage of the angling population lives along the "Wasatch Front"...all within a hundred miles of each other.  And most Utah anglers fish a lot of the same waters for the same species so they have more in common than a more diverse population.  Sure, we have members who live in other areas...and they contribute valuable and appreciated info...but most members are in either Ogden, Salt Lake or Provo areas...and Cache Valley.

What is the answer?  Don't ask me.  I only know the questions.  At least I think I do.  I don't always remember so good at my advanced age.

Thanks TD, for checking in with us. You my friend is who I consider the; the Father of of my BFT family. And duksnfish, did you miss Obifishkenobi's posts on Pallasaids and Rire. Shawn says Rire koks are the best and biggest he has ever seen it. It was easy this year to get your 15 fish limit. And there were plenty of the small silver koks that will make next year good also.
(08-11-2021, 05:56 AM)mtncntrykid Wrote:      One that comes to mind was kok's in Anderson Ranch Res. Word hit early one year about 3 years or so ago and the fish got slaughtered with the high keep limit and it hasn't recovered yet. 

Looks like the thinning of the kokes really helped there because at the tournament earlier this year the top 7 caught kokanee teams averaged over 2 lbs for each koke with biggest coming in at over 22". The winning team averaged over 3 lbs for each koke. This was a 6 koke limit, on this tournament.

[Image: 4th-annuel-koke-tournament.jpg]

cloud with snow emojis
So to answer your question Randy, nope I didnt miss the posts and I dont miss any of them.  I always check in here every morning after I get up and have time to myself while having my first cup of coffee Smile.  I read all the posts even if I dont fish the places ppl post about as I just love seeing folks catch whatever it may be. 

In looking back at my first post on this subject, I think it's brought out a lot of folk that we havent heard from in ages no matter what the post has been and it has been great to at least know they are still around, posting about fishing or whatever it maybe.  At least we know this site is still important to at least a few folks, and I still say, I think we would get a lot more ppl join in if the general public were not able to view the posts and comments without joining the site. I know many other sites have switched that way and even a few Facebook pages are starting to make the forums private due to ppl taking information being talked about and stepping on toes. So, just my 2 cents on this but, it at least has a lot of folks thinking about what their priorities are even if it isnt here.  For that, thanks everyone.
(08-16-2021, 01:08 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(08-11-2021, 05:56 AM)mtncntrykid Wrote:      One that comes to mind was kok's in Anderson Ranch Res. Word hit early one year about 3 years or so ago and the fish got slaughtered with the high keep limit and it hasn't recovered yet. 

Looks like the thinning of the kokes really helped there because at the tournament earlier this year the top 7 caught kokanee teams averaged over 2 lbs for each koke with biggest coming in at over 22". The winning team averaged over 3 lbs for each koke. This was a 6 koke limit, on this tournament.

[Image: 4th-annuel-koke-tournament.jpg]

cloud with snow emojis

Catching one or two 2 lb kokes for 8 hours on the water isn't worth the time to fish. That is the issue.
(08-19-2021, 05:56 PM)MMDon Wrote:
(08-16-2021, 01:08 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Catching one or two 2 lb kokes for 8 hours on the water isn't worth the time to fish. That is the issue.

I sure can't speak for the average every day kokes fisherman there but the top seven teams in that tournament caught 6 kokes that weighed between 2 lbs and 3 lbs. Maybe we can't all do that well there, it could be those guys are all pros but at least it is encouraging to know there are bigger fish in there. Have you been catching 1 or 2 kokes on your trips there since the downturn began?  I agree with you, if most of those fishing there are only catching one or two kokes per trip, it isn't worth going.
Maybe not pros either, but guys that fish there a lot. Home field advantage makes a big difference sometimes.
(08-20-2021, 02:24 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Maybe not pros either, but guys that fish there a lot. Home field advantage makes a big difference sometimes.

I hear you, anyone that fishes any lake a lot would do better there than someone that doesn't fish there as much.
Yep, I know a walleye derby back in Montana was won quite a few years in a row by a couple locals and I heard that they fished the lake 5-6 days a week.
(08-20-2021, 11:39 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Yep, I know a walleye derby back in Montana was won quite a few years in a row by a couple locals and I heard that they fished the lake 5-6 days a week.

Yep, that could make a difference.