Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An Expensive Fix
This boat was parked next to my house Wednesday evening. It appears to be 24' minimum in length. Can you tell the damage done to his skeg. Apparently this individual tows his boat with the outdrive down close to the ground which is yielding a ground down skeg and this has been going on for a while judging from the amount that is grounded. Now I'm estimating an $8000 repair for rebuild, used will be somewhat cheaper but still expensive. Don't forget the prop is a separate bill too.

[Image: Skag-Damage1.jpg]

[Image: Skag-Damage2.jpg]
[/url]

[url=https://ibb.co/TRChNBv]
[Image: Skag-Damage3.jpg]

[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Could be his trim motor/pump is weak and does not hold the pressure so even though he had it trimmed up, it slowly came down as he traveled but if that were the case, why not just get a transom saver, to keep the skag from dragging.
That looks like normal wear and tear with out any maintenance, just like alot of them I see at the ramp. at least paint it, when he goes through a good dip its gona get expensive for sure, they do make a bolt on skeg for not much $,
[Image: prop-eater.jpg]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Looks like it's been run thru shallow water with sand bottom.  Have seen a few of theses at various places.  But IMHO I would have trimmed outdrive up a bit higher and used a transom saver or at least a outdrive wedge to prevent it from hitting road or steep driveways.  
Couldn't tell if  there was any damage to prop.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I feel this is more than just hitting a sandy bottom. That skeg when I first looked at it has been reshaped, its not the normal shape of a skeg. Also the prop is sitting evenly with the bottom of skeg. A pic just doesn't do it enough justice compared to seeing it up close.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Agree. To me, it looks WAY undersized and definitely short, compared to the prop. Compared to the size of the lower unit, it is way out of proportion.