Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smoky skies and our health
With all the smoke we have been having are any of you having any issues? I have been having a mild headache, when we go for our daily walk, I'll get a little sore throat. I was hoping the smoke would be less when I get up away from the Wasatch front but it hasn't been much less. Hopefully we will get some relief later this week.
Sounds about like us, was really bad the other day and had a pretty sore throat. I know it bothers my neighbors asthma, I believe it's been in the unhealthy level here for most of last week.
We're staying indoors as much as possible until it's gone.  No clay target shooting or fishing; MAN we're bored!
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
COVID kept us in isolation for a while but now its self isolation from the smoke. This is not doing any good to me either with asthma, the sore throat thing, and headaches. No vaccine for smoke.  
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
There's a vaccine for smoke, it's called selective logging, clear a bit of the dead out of the forest and they won't burn as bad.
We decided to walk indoors today. The problem was finding a place that was open at 8am. First we went to the Mall, nope, they do not open until 10 am now days. Next we thought about the Dee Event Center, we drove up there and found out they don't allow people to walk in there, too bad because it would have been perfect. Right next door is the ice rink, so we went in there are they said sure, only problem is it is a ice rink, we should have brought Winter cloths but we went ahead and walked, better than being outdoors. The only issue was, we could not walk around the rink, so it was only one minute in each direction, oh well, until this smoke clears, I guess that is better than nothing.
(08-09-2021, 04:11 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: There's a vaccine for smoke, it's called selective logging, clear a bit of the dead out of the forest and they won't burn as bad.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Cal has never done a good job of managing their forest and because of that, we are all paying the price.
I walk 36 holes of golf every week, and dis so this morning. It wasn't nearly as bad today as it has been - or didn't seem so.

All I can say is that it's a good thing they banned logging and such - or those spotted owls wouldn't have any forest habitat today.
(08-09-2021, 05:22 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I walk 36 holes of golf every week, and dis so this morning. It wasn't nearly as bad today as it has been - or didn't seem so.

All I can say is that it's a good thing they banned logging and such - or those spotted owls wouldn't have any forest habitat today.

LOL, I know you are kidding Rocky but for those not in the know, since the trees are being burned anyway, where do the spotted owls have to go now!! That was one of the worse reasons not to thin the forest out that the environmentalist ever came up with.
Little clearer here today also. A few more cows on the forest would help clear out a lot of understory, but the price per pair and the cutting of numbers that can go on have changed, so ranchers can't afford to put many out anymore.
maybe just maybe
human caused climate change and the science behind it is reality
and a factor
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Well, no. The only reason "they" keep claiming it's human-caused is because they can't tax the sun or volcanoes.

Back to the smoke...I think it finally caught up with me yesterday. Felt like carp with a gunky throat and coughing. Slept poorly Monday night, too. Stayed in the house, took a long nap, and I'm a lot better today. Weather guessers say it should be a lot clearer on Thursday, due to a change in the winds. Hope so.
i laugh when they think "they" know carp or more than scientists
"hey Chuck we got some non believers out there"

Timebombs go boom
have you tried a my pillow for better sleep?
I laugh when people think "consensus" and made-up numbers are science.

Climate does indeed change. That's science. "Human caused" climate change is a political agenda, not science.

Apologies for derailing the thread, but I didn't start it.
its okay one of us is gonna go post fishing content
on a fishing site
but u do u
One of us will use proper sentence structure and grammar.
(08-11-2021, 02:13 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I laugh when people think "consensus" and made-up numbers are science.

Climate does indeed change. That's science. "Human caused" climate change is a political agenda, not science.

Apologies for derailing the thread, but I didn't start it.

I read that the global temps have only rose 1.4 degrees in over 150 years and this has happened many times before, when humans were not even in the picture. I totally agree on this being a political agenda. That being said, we will need to move this thread, if we get any farther off topic. Not pointing a finger at any one person, just don't want this to go in the wrong direction.
Why move it, it's in the off topic board, ain't that where it's supposed to be. All the fires are human caused whether anyone wants to admit to it or not. Logging and animals grazing on the forest or lack of attribute to what we have today, just the cost of doing business in today's society.
The only reason to move it would be if we started getting more political on this thread. That became a big issue a number of years ago and since then we move post that turn too political to the not necessarily fishing board, if you want to read some of those post threads, they are likely still there, you just have to look for them. We found that having a normal conversation was fine but every time it took a turn in that direction things got heated.
I can understand that, politics is a very touchy issue, haven't seen a lot of that here.