Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fliggin' around with Kent 8-13-21
Got a PM from Kent requesting a cat-fliggin' session at the Knolls to fine tune his Fligonometry skills.  So we launched his boat out of the Pelican Bay Marina about 6:30.  Low water.  Said he dinged his prop but not so bad we couldn't get out fishing.  It was less than 2 feet going out of the harbor and a looooooong ways out before we found over 3' to put the boat up on plane.

[Image: BEST-TIME.jpg]
[Image: WINDY.jpg]
Water had a little ripple at daybreak but was like glass most of the morning.  Motored into about 4 feet of water in a proven kitty zone and put out the baited fligs...some with chubs...some with white bass meat.  Caught fish on all of the above.  Took less than a half hour for both of us to catch our first fish skunk repellent.

[Image: FIRST.jpg]

[Image: CAPTAIN-KENT.jpg]

We continued to use the electric to maintain speeds between .5 and .8 mph...dragging the baited fligs through water from 3 feet out to over 5 feet.  Most bites seem to come in between 4 and 5 feet of water.

It was Friday the 13th and we commented that as we were quitting, Kent had boated 13 cats.  But then as we were bringing in the lines he got the 14th.  Yay Kent.  As an appreciative guest on the boat I shook off a lot of fish to let Kent maintain his lead.  I allowed myself to settle for six.  Most of our fish were about 2 footers.  A couple smaller and a couple bigger...but not by much.  Even got one ambitious white bass on a big flig with a chunk of white bass meat on it. 

[Image: AVERAGE.jpg]

[Image: WHITIE.jpg]

I enjoyed fishing with you again Kent.  And we never did have to break out the downrigger and fish the thermocline.  Probably wouldn't have found any kokes anyways.  Likely not even any cutts.
sounds like a fun outing. sure will be glad when water levels are back to normal especially at the knolls. one of my favorite places to fish. glad yall had tugs.
Sounds like a fun outing, your fligging lesson really paid off for Kent.
(08-14-2021, 01:51 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like a fun outing, your fligging lesson really paid off for Kent.
Kent is no slouch at fligology.  He has had some decent success...including sturgeon in Idaho on fligs.  But, like most sincere students of angling technology and tactics he is always open to picking up new ideas from others.  We should all be like that.  Unfortunately...as Kent and I discussed on this trip...there are too many "know it all" anglers who fish the same way...in the same spots...year round.  They may catch fish once or twice a year but fail to adapt to changing conditions in order to insure success on every trip.
(08-14-2021, 02:07 AM)TubeDude Wrote:
(08-14-2021, 01:51 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Sounds like a fun outing, your fligging lesson really paid off for Kent.
Kent is no slouch at fligology.  He has had some decent success...including sturgeon in Idaho on fligs.  But, like most sincere students of angling technology and tactics he is always open to picking up new ideas from others.  We should all be like that.  Unfortunately...as Kent and I discussed on this trip...there are too many "know it all" anglers who fish the same way...in the same spots...year round.  They may catch fish once or twice a year but fail to adapt to changing conditions in order to insure success on every trip.
Isn't that the truth, it's always good to learn from others.
(08-14-2021, 02:07 AM)TubeDude Wrote:

Thanks you two. I wish I would have been there. I haven't actually met Kent, but always loved his posts and love that he posts on the Idaho side his Sturgeon excapades. I guess I'm one of the no it all anglers that always fish the same way and same spots. But I got 64 doing it last year. This year not so well.

I wish I could've been there.
(08-14-2021, 03:32 AM)fast_randy Wrote: Thanks you two. I wish I would have been there. I haven't actually met Kent, but always loved his posts and love that he posts on the Idaho side his Sturgeon excapades. I guess I'm one of the no it all anglers that always fish the same way and same spots. But I got 64 doing it last year. This year not so well.

I wish I could've been there.

Hey Randy, if you really want to "hook up" with Kent...for sturgeon, catfish or whatever...shoot him a PM.  He is a great guy and there is probably nobody else on BFT who has been more generous with his time and expertise in introducing others to new facets of fishing.  As long as you are willing to share in the expenses of a trip he is generally willing to help almost anyone toward becoming a better fisherperson.
It was a pleasure getting out with Pat again. It was way past due. Always good to refine my fishing skills from those who have been there and done that -- many times. He must have taught me good because the fish gods definitely shined on me and I didn't have to be the "gracious host".
(08-14-2021, 01:41 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: It was a pleasure getting out with Pat again.  It was way past due.  Always good to refine my fishing skills from those who have been there and done that -- many times.  He must have taught me good because the fish gods definitely shined on me and I didn't have to be the "gracious host".
Although we have fished together multiple times over the (all too many) years, this trip truly was "past due".  It has been too long.  You and I have maintained a friendship for a whole lotta years...first across the miles while I still lived in Arizona...and during the past 18 years that I have been back in Utah.

You know when you are with a true and trusted friend when you can go for long periods without feeling the need to make some kind of conversation...each already knowing and understanding what the other is thinking.  But then again, when you have two old codgers with poor hearing it is better to not say anything...because you just have to keep repeating it...louder.

And you are ALWAYS a gracious host...regardless of the final score.  There have been times I was top rod for the day...and others where you did better.  But the true measure of enjoyment of a fishing venture is not always the number of fish caught.  And if it ever becomes so, then it is time to find a new pastime.
A dawn-to-dusk angler named Kent
Enjoyed all the hours he’d spent
But, deaf as a post
He was still a good host
While his guest, in the back, did repent.
(08-14-2021, 10:23 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: A dawn-to-dusk angler named Kent
But, deaf as a post
He was still a good host
Good stuff...as usual.

Back atcha...

We have a wordsmith named Rocky
Who is good enough to be cocky.
No matter the subject at hand
He can turn mundane to grand
Even though it might seem a bit schlocky.
But, deaf as a post
He was still a good host

Rocky, I like that clever post. I have fished with Kent a couple times so I can appreciate it.

rj
But, deaf as a post
He was still a good host

...While his guest, in the back, had his pole bent.

Smile
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.
(08-15-2021, 01:51 AM)N.E.T.O. Wrote:
But, deaf as a post
He was still a good host

Smile

"...While his guest, in the back, had his pole bent."  Snags will do that for you. Wink
(08-15-2021, 02:05 AM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(08-15-2021, 01:51 AM)N.E.T.O. Wrote:
But, deaf as a post
He was still a good host

Smile

"...While his guest, in the back, had his pole bent."  Snags will do that for you. Wink

Lol!
I used to N.ot have E.nough T.ime O.ff to go fishing.  Then I retired.  Now I have less time than I had before. Sheesh.