Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah Lake from shore?
With the water so low and the algae blooming, anyone have a suggestion on where a decent area to catch a catfish or two from shore might be? Thanks!
Most water within casting range of shore...even around the marinas...is not over 1-2 feet deep.  While a few kitties might stray within reach it will be more productive to fish deeper water.  That is tough from shore.  Your best bet...if the water level is low enough to allow your 4x4 and/or high clearance vehicle to get there...is off the rock shelves between the first and second springs at Lincoln Beach.  That is where I launch my float tube at "low tide" and my sonar shows the depth dropping quickly to 4-5 feet within reasonable casting distance.

[Image: ON-DA-ROCKS.jpg]

I have caught a lot of cats close in...when you can find them snuggling.  And there are several local "tank banglers" who motor out, set up their comfy chairs and do well.  I have not checked it out yet this year but based on water level reports I would guess it is probably fishable.  Maybe BLK could provide a more recent observation.

[Image: TANK-BANGLER-2.jpg]

Okay, I also made up an access map if you need it.  Stay on the hard-packed dirt path and you should have no problem with bogging down.  It is solid.  Then you will cross the trickle inlet of the first spring to get on the west side and work your way over the rocks to the exposed shelves beyond. 

[Image: ROCK-SHELF-ACCESS.jpg]

TD covered it pretty well as usual. I have seen a couple of trucks drive out to the rock edges but probably better to hoofed it and do a little rock-hopping to get to the edge. You can drive without tank treads to the first trickle inlet referred to and then a short walk on the rocks, maybe 75 yards to the rocky point. There is a narrow inlet to the main spring on the west side of the rocky point that is best to avoid as it is fairly deep and has been know to consume careless anglers. I saw a Toyota with it's front end dropped in that hole and I am surprised it is not still there. Dunno know how they got it out but I'm sure it was not easy. 

It is a good spot for cats, wb, a few crappie and perch, and the occasional northern or walleye. The warm water from the spring seems to attract the fish, especially during the cold months. 

Another fishable area from shore is on the ends of the berms an either side of the Lincoln launch. There are always people fishing off the end of the launch and around the docks, mostly good for white bass and the occasional mudder.
(08-31-2021, 07:56 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Most water within casting range of shore...even around the marinas...is not over 1-2 feet deep.  While a few kitties might stray within reach it will be more productive to fish deeper water.  That is tough from shore.  Your best bet...if the water level is low enough to allow your 4x4 and/or high clearance vehicle to get there...is off the rock shelves between the first and second springs at Lincoln Beach.  That is where I launch my float tube at "low tide" and my sonar shows the depth dropping quickly to 4-5 feet within reasonable casting distance.

[Image: ON-DA-ROCKS.jpg]

I have caught a lot of cats close in...when you can find them snuggling.  And there are several local "tank banglers" who motor out, set up their comfy chairs and do well.  I have not checked it out yet this year but based on water level reports I would guess it is probably fishable.  Maybe BLK could provide a more recent observation.

[Image: TANK-BANGLER-2.jpg]

Okay, I also made up an access map if you need it.  Stay on the hard-packed dirt path and you should have no problem with bogging down.  It is solid.  Then you will cross the trickle inlet of the first spring to get on the west side and work your way over the rocks to the exposed shelves beyond. 

[Image: ROCK-SHELF-ACCESS.jpg]

Thanks for the info! Caught and released a 6lber on Wednesday! Plenty of white bass tho, couldn't keep them off the bait unfortunately.
(09-04-2021, 04:25 AM)Envenomation09 Wrote: Thanks for the info! Caught and released a 6lber on Wednesday! Plenty of white bass tho, couldn't keep them off the bait unfortunately.
Some problems are better to have than others.  Glad you scored at least one kitty.  It should get better soon.
Good thing I saw this before I got down to LB yesrterday. Again I get there and my boat won't start. I had finally got my brother to meet me down there. Been like 15 years since I have fished down there with him, and boat won't start.
I just got it back from the shop here in Blackfoot and assumed they fixed it.
So we fished this spot with Evenomation09. They had the point and were doing well. I got a nice one right off on shrimp. Then they gave us a white bass. And we couldn't keep the bass off after that. But we never got anymore catfish. Thanks for posting this little map Pat.
(09-07-2021, 02:54 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Good thing I saw this before I got down to LB yesrterday. Again I get there and my boat won't start. I had finally got my brother to meet me down there. Been like 15 years since I have fished down there with him, and boat won't start.
I just got it back from the shop here in Blackfoot and assumed they fixed it.
So we fished this spot with Evenomation09. They had the point and were doing well. I got a nice one right off on shrimp. Then they gave us a white bass. And we couldn't keep the bass off after that. But we never got anymore catfish. Thanks for posting this little map Pat.

Hey Randy, sorry you are still battling with your boat.    Glad you were at least able to salvage some fishing from the trip.
Trying to post picture.
[Image: 20210906-095641.jpg]
Someone told me to check the kill switch. I said I didn't think I had one. But I just found a little switch under the throttle controller that was off. It says in tiny letters on/off.
I can't believe I didn't know about it. But that was the problem. I swear I'm not getting senile in my old age. Now I want to go back to LB, but I'll wait a week or so for it to cool off. I would have stayed and camped yesterday and just bank fish, but by noon it was already above 80 and heading to above 90 and those camp spots have no shade.
Yeah, Randy, those camping spots are just a tiny step above camping in the middle of a Walmart parking lot. Or the bottom of a gravel pit. I wish they would plant some trees at least but maybe they can't.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.