Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Check yer bearings
(09-06-2021, 12:01 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: Curtis, "Last year, I decided it was time to replace my bearings, because the last time they were replaced was in October 2014."

I first installed two trailer bearing kits and two new bearing buddies (the part the grease goes in) (used my old bras).  I lost both bearing buddies and of course the bras.  I tried two more Bearing Buddies and lost both of them.  Took off the new bearing kits and installed two new hub kits.  Lost one Bearing Buddies and replaced it.  Lost and replaced one of the bras.  Haven't lost anything else since March, of this year, and so hopefully I am good to go for several more years.

What a pain to lose that many of them but 6 years without any noticeable problem with the bearings is good, guess that shows the bearing buddies do work. I've been taking mine apart every other year but it sounds like I could wait longer between tear downs. Thanks for the info.
I think most of the bras are lost in the parking lot. I started using a screw clamp on the bras to help hold them on the buddy bearing never had any trouble after that
(09-06-2021, 01:14 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: What a pain to lose that many of them but 6 years without any noticeable problem with the bearings is good, guess that shows the bearing buddies do work. I've been taking mine apart every other year but it sounds like I could wait longer between tear downs. Thanks for the info.

Yes, the Bearing Buddies work, but I am also diligent in frequently adding a little grease.
(09-06-2021, 01:40 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(09-06-2021, 01:14 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: What a pain to lose that many of them but 6 years without any noticeable problem with the bearings is good, guess that shows the bearing buddies do work. I've been taking mine apart every other year but it sounds like I could wait longer between tear downs. Thanks for the info.

Yes, the Bearing Buddies work, but I am also diligent in frequently adding a little grease.

How often do you add grease?
Before every sturgeon trip and after every sturgeon trip. After about every 3 or 4 trips to Strawberry or similar.
(09-06-2021, 11:12 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Before every sturgeon trip and after every sturgeon trip.  After about every 3 or 4 trips to Strawberry or similar.

Wow, that is often, no wonder they did so good for all those years.
This has been a great post.  Thanks everyone for the reminders and all the advice. I bought my boat 2 years ago, a used 2003 bayliner. After reading this I decided to check mine.  

I removed the cap on the first and found rust inside the cap, as well as rust colored grease.  As I was looking at removing the nut, I found a tang washer instead of a kotter pin. That was good to know. I removed the bearings and took the tire off along with the hubs.  The inner bearings had some rust as well.  So I went ahead and replaced the whole bearing assembly including a new bearing buddy and cap.  

I then pulled the cap on the other side.  Water came out of it when it came off.  It also had rust and rust colored grease.  So I replaced the whole assembly as well with a new bearing buddy and cap.

So thanks again everyone for the great post.  I doubt those bearings had ever been changed or even checked.  I will be adding grease as mentioned above on a semi-regular basis.
(09-06-2021, 11:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-06-2021, 11:12 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Before every sturgeon trip and after every sturgeon trip.  After about every 3 or 4 trips to Strawberry or similar.

Been doing that way through 4 boats and never had a problem.  How often do you grease your bearings?
(09-09-2021, 10:46 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(09-06-2021, 11:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Been doing that way through 4 boats and never had a problem.  How often do you grease your bearings?

Usually once a year, last year I took my boat to Idaho and greased it before each trip but I also bought an extra hub with all the bearing installed and pre greased. You can buy them like that at State trailer supply for any axle. That being said, I do take one wheel apart every year  and repack the bearing on that one side, the next year I do the other side.
Attached shows when I have greased the bearings in 2020 and thus far this year.
[Image: Wheel-bearings.jpg]
(09-07-2021, 02:44 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I removed the cap on the first and found rust inside the cap, as well as rust colored grease.  As I was looking at removing the nut, I found a tang washer instead of a kotter pin. That was good to know. I removed the bearings and took the tire off along with the hubs.  The inner bearings had some rust as well.  So I went ahead and replaced the whole bearing assembly including a new bearing buddy and cap.  

I then pulled the cap on the other side.  Water came out of it when it came off.  It also had rust and rust colored grease.  So I replaced the whole assembly as well with a new bearing buddy and cap.

Sounds like you were close to being right beside us on the side of the road.

Does your tang washer mean you have an ez-lube axle?
(09-02-2021, 02:32 PM)PACMEN Wrote: Was headed to the Berry last Sat. morning when BAM we lost a wheel and dropped an axle end on the freeway.
Looking out the mirror it looked like someone had lit off a 4th of July commercial fireworks fountain.  Got the rig pulled over and immediately started checking for fires on the side of the road.  We were lucky in that it was early enough so that things were still cool and things a bit damp from rains the week before.
The end of the spindle was glowing cherry red.  U-bolts were ground off and leaf spring was skidding on the mounting plate.
We were in luck as I was able to call a friend and he brought up a trailer with misc. tools etc and we were able to load the thing.
Left home at 5:15 and got back home with the boat and trailer loaded on his trailer at 1:30pm.  

Not quite the fishing day that we had planned.
New axle that I ordered is $600 with all new components. 10 days to get it here then the install so no boating for a bit around here.

I must have had water in the bearings and that was the end of it.

I am definitely going to be more diligent in my bearing duties from now on.
Yesterday I started repacking another trailers bearings.  Only have 2 more trailers to do after it.
Same thing happen to me going to the gorge, i grease buddy bearing before i left but still didn't help apparently.
This type of thing is exactly why I decided to replace my Boat Trailer axle , I was always loosing a Bearing Buddy of some part of one. Now that I have replaced the axle , I have the E-Z Lube Spindles to use and I feel better knowing that the inside bearing will always get grease first . So if anyone is interested or looking for a Boat axle shoot me a PM . Sorry to the Mods if this is in the wrong place.
(09-02-2021, 02:32 PM)PACMEN Wrote: Was headed to the Berry last Sat. morning when BAM we lost a wheel and dropped an axle end on the freeway.
Looking out the mirror it looked like someone had lit off a 4th of July commercial fireworks fountain.  Got the rig pulled over and immediately started checking for fires on the side of the road.  We were lucky in that it was early enough so that things were still cool and things a bit damp from rains the week before.
The end of the spindle was glowing cherry red.  U-bolts were ground off and leaf spring was skidding on the mounting plate.
We were in luck as I was able to call a friend and he brought up a trailer with misc. tools etc and we were able to load the thing.
Left home at 5:15 and got back home with the boat and trailer loaded on his trailer at 1:30pm.  

Not quite the fishing day that we had planned.
New axle that I ordered is $600 with all new components. 10 days to get it here then the install so no boating for a bit around here.

I must have had water in the bearings and that was the end of it.

I am definitely going to be more diligent in my bearing duties from now on.
Yesterday I started repacking another trailers bearings.  Only have 2 more trailers to do after it.
i have now for years been buying stainless steal bearing for boat trailers less headaches.
(09-11-2021, 05:50 AM)otigar Wrote: i have now for years been buying stainless steal bearing for boat trailers less headaches.

That is interesting, how much more do stainless steel bearing cost? Any idea how much longer they last compared to steel bearing?
Just like wiperhunter you now have my undivided attention.
Might be a good title for a whole new post.

If you would tell us a bit about em.
I was a diesel mechanic for 30 years. In that time I worked on a lot of bearings. Using the knowledge I gained is how I approach my bearing maintenance. One I always repack my bearings every fall when winterizing the boat. That way if there is any water in the hub it is removed and doesn't rust over the winter. Next I carry a infrared laser thermometer with me and check both tires and hubs at least every 100 mike of continuous travel. This thermometer can be purchased at Harbor Freight for $20.00. If temp goes up on either tires or hub it says trouble is coming. It take 1 minute to walk around point and shoot temps on it could save a lot of money. Safe travels and good fishing.
(09-12-2021, 06:02 PM)duofish Wrote: I was a diesel mechanic for 30 years. In that time I worked on a lot of bearings. Using the knowledge I gained is how I approach my bearing maintenance. One I always repack my bearings every fall when winterizing the boat. That way if there is any water in the hub it is removed and doesn't rust over the winter. Next I carry a infrared laser thermometer with me and check both tires and hubs at least every 100 mike of continuous travel. This thermometer can be purchased at Harbor Freight for $20.00. If temp goes up on either tires or hub it says trouble is coming. It take 1 minute to walk around point and shoot temps on it could save a lot of money. Safe travels and good fishing.

Welcome to the site, great idea, with the laser thermometer. Are these the same ones that are used to check to see if you have a fever? I recently took a trailer up to Idaho and I stopped every 75 miles or so and checked the tires and hub by touching them but the laser thermometer would have been cleaner.
The ole noggin does not work as well as it used to.
A bit ago I was thinking why don't I check some rollers I've got stored for projects.  These are all round bearings (steelies)  not cylindrical wheel bearing rollers.  Some of them are stainless the others iron.
I checked some cylindrical wheel bearings I'm working on now and they are iron. 
I am taking yer advice and going to be changing to SS bearings when replacing bearings from now on I think.
(09-12-2021, 06:19 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 06:02 PM)duofish Wrote: I was a diesel mechanic for 30 years. In that time I worked on a lot of bearings. Using the knowledge I gained is how I approach my bearing maintenance. One I always repack my bearings every fall when winterizing the boat. That way if there is any water in the hub it is removed and doesn't rust over the winter. Next I carry a infrared laser thermometer with me and check both tires and hubs at least every 100 mike of continuous travel. This thermometer can be purchased at Harbor Freight for $20.00. If temp goes up on either tires or hub it says trouble is coming. It take 1 minute to walk around point and shoot temps on it could save a lot of money. Safe travels and good fishing.

Welcome to the site, great idea, with the laser thermometer. Are these the same ones that are used to check to see if you have a fever? I recently took a trailer up to Idaho and I stopped every 75 miles or so and checked the tires and hub by touching them but the laser thermometer would have been cleaner.
They are not as precise but are a lot cheaper and in the mechanic business we used them for checking temps on wheels, transmissions, engines etc. when diagnosing problems.