Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Marking Hyrum
After reading about the low water at Hyrum, I got out my Striker4 and set out to mark things. My main interest was the rockpile near swim beach. The next point of interest was the junk cars. Both places were high and dry which made it easy just to walk to them and punch in waypoints. Now that I have them recorded on my ice rig, I will transfer the GPS to my boat units.
There was 1 boat loading when I arrived. Center ramp had about 10 feet left in the water before a 1 foot drop off. I would not risk it.
This low water time of year makes for a good time to get out and do some dry-land marking. 

[Image: IMG-1574.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1576.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1577.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1579.jpg]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Smart thing to do. Maybe, you will even invite me to join you up there ice fishing.
(09-08-2021, 05:25 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Smart thing to do.  Maybe, you will even invite me to join you up there ice fishing.

Maybe, stranger things have been known to happen. Big Grin
So have you ever fished that rock pile through the ice? I didn't know it was there until seeing it the other day... I've never noticed anyone camping out there during ice season, so I don't know if it really holds fish any better than other areas... Sure looked good to me as well though... I wasn't smart enough to gps mark it though, I took pictures with land marks to try and line up.... I think you have a better chance to find it than I do... will be fun to see if it is a fish magnet or not... you'll have to let us know when the water comes back up... don't think you'll fish it this winter... but I hope I'm wrong... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Jeff, I marked the rocks more as a boating hazard. Although, I have seen bass caught off them when they were about 5ft underwater. I don't recall seeing any ice anglers fishing near the old cars. Have you?
Any pictures of the junk cars?
(09-08-2021, 08:31 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Jeff, I marked the rocks more as a boating hazard. Although, I have seen bass caught off them when they were about 5ft underwater. I don't recall seeing any ice anglers fishing near the old cars. Have you?

Those cars used to be a fish magnet. I would not over look them. Beware! They do eat lots of lures.

rj
I fished around the cars before and never really did that well, so I never stuck there very long... Hyrum has been sort of odd in that the flats have usually been where I find the fish... I always look for areas like the rock pile, and then end up catching the most fish on regular old gravel flats... Guess I don't know what the fish like for habitat... Keep trying to figure it out, but they keep rewriting the rules... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(09-09-2021, 03:57 AM)steelhawk Wrote: Any pictures of the junk cars?

Only this enlargement taken from the dam. The cars go from a rock pile up into the trees. 

[Image: IMG-1572.jpg]
https://www.hjnews.com/news/local/photos...dec24.html
They have some cool pictures here
Used to be a short base of an old silo on the east flats