Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear lake 9-14-21
The Slayer and I got up to big Blue yesterday and fished from 6:30 am to 12:30. We had hopes that getting there early would give us some advantaged but that did not happen Water temp was 66 degrees and we fished around the Rock pile with limited success. We spent most of the morning jigging tube jigs and picked up three cutts up to 21". Later in the morning we tried trolling but no luck with that. Only took two pics, one of the sunrise and one as we were heading back up the mountain to head home.

[Image: Bear-lakesunrise.jpg]

[Image: Bearlake-view-from-above.jpg]
Bummer, that's a long trip for you to not find something fun to wrastle with... Sorry it didn't turn out better... How was the crowds? Did you see fish on your sonar? Seems like my trips up there are either good or terrible and I have to have a couple blanks to make up for those good trips.. so you paid your dues, next one will be good... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
The Bear is rightfully named that it can be a Bear at times to fish. The beauty of the lake is always a worthy pic especially the time of year when the fall colors provide a background. I'll be meeting up with a friend in Oct. Last time I fished it was in 2019, last year during this time frame my plans got squashed getting COVID and spent at least half the winter in recovery mode.
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(09-16-2021, 11:49 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Bummer, that's a long trip for you to not find something fun to wrastle with... Sorry it didn't turn out better... How was the crowds?  Did you see fish on your sonar?  Seems like my trips up there are either good or terrible and I have to have a couple blanks to make up for those good trips.. so you paid your dues, next one will be good... Later J

Yea, that is our experience there too, seldom do we have good trips there every time. Few folks on the water this time of the year. We were the first to launch and we only saw two other boats fishing the Rock pile, only 4 other trucks in the parking area when we got back. We were marking plenty of fish but they just had lock jaw. It's a big lake and as we were leaving we thought maybe the East side would have been better but we never made it over there on this trip. Water levels are high there, does not look like it had any drought issues there this year. One of my biggest fish was caught off Cisco beach fishing from a boat in Sept trolling some big lures, maybe next trip will be better.
(09-16-2021, 01:23 PM)Bduck Wrote: The Bear is rightfully named that it can be a Bear at times to fish. The beauty of the lake is always a worthy pic especially the time of year when the fall colors provide a background. I'll be meeting up with a friend in Oct. Last time I fished it was in 2019, last year during this time frame my plans got squashed getting COVID and spent at least half the winter in recovery mode.

We had not been up there in two years either, lots of changes up there, a new grocery store and gas station and the way you get into the marina area is different, there is a side road you have to follow now to get to the pay station. The water there is unlike anywhere else I fish in Utah, for sure a beautiful lake.
If its lakers that you are after, then head over off of Rainbow Cove and Cisco beach area. The lakers will be moving in to stage for spawning activity. I've been on the rockpile fishing and it is good for cutthroats with a very occasional laker thrown in. The fish are hanging on the edges of the rockpile in about 50-65 feet, on the northeast and east side of the pile. If trolling, troll from the rockpile south around Gus Rich point for a mile or so right at the bottom in 65-80 feet of water and also run a pole or two from the surface on down to 40 feet (or wherever the sonar is showing the suspended fish) and you should do ok. I have been having the best success with a 3-4" blue and chrome spoon. Next best has been a perch or rainbow rapala in #7 and #9 size.

The fishing will pick up a lot of steam in the next week or two and stay hot for the next several months.

Mike
(09-18-2021, 05:05 PM)gmwahl Wrote: If its lakers that you are after, then head over off of Rainbow Cove and Cisco beach area.  The lakers will be moving in to stage for spawning activity.  I've been on the rockpile fishing and it is good for cutthroats with a very occasional laker thrown in.  The fish are hanging on the edges of the rockpile in about 50-65 feet, on the northeast and east side of the pile.  If trolling, troll from the rockpile south around Gus Rich point for a mile or so right at the bottom in 65-80 feet of water and also run a pole or two from the surface on down to 40 feet (or wherever the sonar is showing the suspended fish) and you should do ok.  I have been having the best success with a 3-4" blue and chrome spoon.  Next best has been a perch or rainbow rapala in #7 and #9 size. 

The fishing will pick up a lot of steam in the next week or two and stay hot for the next several months.

Mike

Now that would have been some good info before we drove up there but on our next trip we will head to the East side for sure. We did try the depths you mentioned on the Rock pile and they were there but we could not get them to bite until we got into the deeper water, about 72 to 74 FOW. We did not try South around Gus Rich but we did make a pass by the North end of Gus Rich and we marked very few fish, we trolled near the bottom. We did not try any spoons or perch or rainbow Rapala's, although I did try a brown trout Rapala. I PMed Bearlakefishguy but I did not think to contact you, my bad on that one. Thanks for the info Mike.