Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sturgeon report with videos
I returned home Wednesday from a sturgeon trip with my cousin Randy and Mark (a member of BFT).  We caught 23 sturgeon, but the largest one was only 7' long.

I tied my Olymbros cameras on to my fishing line and shot some videos. I was surprised to see so many perch down there and the one video shows the result of the perch stealing all of my bait. Unfortunately, no sturgeon were harmed on these videos (The one video shows a sturgeon biting, but the sturgeon swam away before giving me a chance to attempt a hook set.).

Bait stealers:

https://youtu.be/AL7szV5Llfs

Lots of perch and a couple sturgeon:

https://youtu.be/gVNYRkDPGM4

Uneducated sturgeon:

https://youtu.be/j2o97F_XZl8
Educational videos, fer sure.  Now you've got all the Utah Perch Jerkers lusting after a trip up there just for the perch.  Some of them looked to be of decent size.
23 sturgeon, that sounds like a decent trip, even if they were smaller. Great video, those perch look to be a good size.
Underwater footage is so enjoyable to watch- for me at least.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Glad you had a successful trip. Nice videos...
On our way back now. We held out till just before the front hit with no success. Like the videos.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
This answers so many questions of why my bait is gone so quick when sturgeon fishing!!
Thanks for allowing me to tag along. I had a great time. The video is really interesting and answers some questions for sure.
Are perch legal sturgeon bait Kent?
(09-21-2021, 12:40 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Are perch legal sturgeon bait Kent?

Yes, all legal game or non-game fish are legal to use for bait in Idaho.  Once, when we were camped up there, a boat launched just before nightfall and a guy said he was going to try to catch some perch.  He said that perch were the best bait to use for sturgeon, so of course, I started trying perch for bait.  So far, I haven't gotten a bite on perch.

Many of the locals, in Idaho, use crappie exclusively for sturgeon bait.  Also, there is a group of sturgeon anglers that only use rainbow trout morts (small rainbow trout that died in the many fish farms in Idaho) for bait.
(09-22-2021, 06:06 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:

Yes, all legal game or non-game fish are legal to use for bait in Idaho.  Once, when we were camped up there, a boat launched just before nightfall and a guy said he was going to try to catch some perch.  He said that perch were the best bait to use for sturgeon, so of course, I started trying perch for bait.  So far, I haven't gotten a bite on perch.

Many of the locals, in Idaho, use crappie exclusively for sturgeon bait.  Also, there is a group of sturgeon anglers that only use rainbow trout morts (small rainbow trout that died in the many fish farms in Idaho) for bait.

Ive also tried perch, and bluegill! Not even a sniff...havent had luck on sucker either!
(09-22-2021, 08:34 PM)WalleyeAl Wrote: Ive also tried perch, and bluegill! Not even a sniff...havent had luck on sucker either!

Some have reported catching them using squawfish and I have tried it several times without a nibble.  I did catch one on a bluegill, but I added two other baits with it, so not sure that it counts.  I have caught at least 90% of my sturgeon using pickled herring.
(09-22-2021, 06:06 PM)kentofnsl Wrote:

Thanks. I’ve heard you talk about the others for bait, but perch were never mentioned. I now understand why