Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry today
Fish the Berry today.
Lots of fish.  Fished most of the time in 30' - 40' water.  Retrieved jigs bottom bounced was the best method we found.
Did catch some by cast and retrieve but no where near as many.  
Lots and lots of follows.

FALL FISHING IS ON THE WAY

Lots of Kokes in the Strawberry River.

Lady at the marina store said one lane of the Indian Creek road to Spanish Fork canyon is open and in use.  She also said there is often waits due to the const.  Sounds like it will be available soon.
Thanks for the report, both on the fishing and on the road work.

It sounds like the road might not be completed until about the time they have to close the gate. Sad
Thanks for the report! So you were trolling jigs close to the bottom? Just trying to understand what you meant.
(09-22-2021, 02:31 PM)rive801 Wrote: Thanks for the report! So you were trolling jigs close to the bottom? Just trying to understand what you meant.

Reading my post I can see why the confusion.

Best catching for me was to cast out let jig settle to the bottom then retrieve by lifting off of the bottom with a 2' or so jig action then letting it settle to the bottom.  As soon as it hit bottom again another jig action.  After a bit you get a feel for the bottom.  As I got closer to the boat it becomes almost a vertical jig bouncing off bottom or just above the bottom.
To do this and feel I use a pretty fast action rod That way I can feel better.  Then on top of that I set the hook if I feel anything.  I figure hook sets are free and then often a hesitant fish takes it on the drop after the hook set.  The fellow that was with me did not do as well working the bottom but I think this is due to his rod being a lot slower action.

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]"Did catch some by cast and retrieve but no where near as many. "[/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]By the above statement I was meaning just casting out letting it settle for 1 to 5 seconds and then a retrieve that was higher in the water column.[/font]
[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]As the breeze picked up we had to anchor lock for me to work the bottom. Early on it was just drift.[/font]
[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]We also ran at .8 to .9 Mph for an hr or so just dragging jigs.  We caught fish this way but they were mostly smaller.  The bottom seemed to have consistently larger fish.[/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Fellow I was fishing with did better on night crawlers but 95% of the fish I caught were on chub.[/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Hope that clears up my muddy pond water a bit.[/font]

Sorry about the above post when responding to rive801. I don't know what that is all about.
I was fishing up there last weekend. Got blew off the lake on Saturday for a while so we drove up to the over look at the summit. That new road is super nice. Talked to a guy scouting elk up there and he said it was a quick 15 or 20 minutes from Spanish Fork to the summit.  Cool
Love me some fall Strawberry tube fishing! The later and colder it gets, the quicker your retrieve can get (higher in the water column). I love mid to late Oct because you can just make a long cast and immediately start cranking it in...they'll hit it over and over until you hook them up, so fun! Hoping to hit it next month...one of the fisheries I truly miss after moving down her to Southern UT.
Thank you for the report! This is great news. Any advise on tipping your jigs?
(09-23-2021, 04:02 PM)WardDL Wrote: Thank you for the report! This is great news. Any advise on tipping your jigs?

Chub meat best for me.
Hook it thru the skin.  I loose the meat most times after 2 or 3 fish.  I then leave this skin on and put another piece on. After 2 or 3 pieces I mostly just fish the skin and freshen it every half hr or so.
I'm sure there are people on the site that have figured out how to keep the meat on longer.  If so please let me know how to do it.