Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard, north marina
Has anyone launched at the north marina in the past few days? Thought I might try it tomorrow.
(09-22-2021, 03:20 PM)utfyrfytr Wrote: Has anyone launched at the north marina in the past few days? Thought I might try it tomorrow.

Haven't read any recent reports but please let us know what you found, when you got there today.
Just had a message from a friend. He said last week the water depth in the North Marina channel was 6 ft .
I never received any responses so I decided at the last minute to leave the boat home. The water is the lowest I have ever seen it. My boat is a 17' aluminum deep V but I think I could have launched it.
We fished from shore for a couple of hours along the channel going out from the north marina ramp with no bites. We decided to go to the south marina and I was able to convince a 23" cat to help me avoid the Willard Bay skunk. For his cooperation I released him in case I need his help again in the future. I went with a former neighbor and that was the only bite of the day for either of us. I was using night crawlers and chicken liver and he liked the liver.
Thanks for returning with the report.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
I think the lack of responses was due simply to the fact that nobody has tried to launch there recently, not out of rudeness. Your shore report confirms that the boating year is over at Willard. Thanks for that.
(09-23-2021, 11:02 PM)utfyrfytr Wrote: I never received any responses so I decided at the last minute to leave the boat home. The water is the lowest I have ever seen it. My boat is a 17' aluminum deep V but I think I could have launched it.
  We fished from shore for a couple of hours along the channel going out from the north marina ramp with no bites. We decided to go to the south marina and I was able to convince a 23" cat to help me avoid the Willard Bay skunk. For his cooperation I released him in case I need his help again in the future. I went with a former neighbor and that was the only bite of the day for either of us. I was using night crawlers and chicken liver and he liked the liver.

Thanks for the report, glad no skunk was involved, lol. 
Late last night I did get a report of smaller boats launching but no more big wake boats. The report I heard was at the ramp it was barely deep enough to get a 16 to 18 footer off the trailer and that hump that comes up just out from the channel was just 1.5 ft. Of course that is with the transducer 8 to 10" below the water line. That hump has always been there but you don't even notice it when the water is deeper but it's right in the center of channel about 100 yds out or so from the mouth, so be very careful leaving.
(09-26-2021, 12:24 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I think the lack of responses was due simply to the fact that nobody has tried to launch there recently, not out of rudeness. Your shore report confirms that the boating year is over at Willard. Thanks for that.

I certainly did not mean to insinuate others were being rude with my, no response comment. I hope no one else took it that way. I'm sure leaving the boat home was for the best. It is always better when you are out on the water though. These are the times I envy Tube Dude and Fat Bikers and others who have pontoons and tubes. It is hard to see the end of the season so early.
I was hoping you didn't take it that way, also. Yes, there are times when a tube or kayak are the best tools for the job, as Pat has proven year after year. Low water and sketchy launch areas are proof of that.
Went up to Fruit alley around Willard yesterday, then stopped by the North marina on the way back, it hasn't dropped more than a few inches since the last time i was there and we had no problem launching then but for those that have not been there, there was 7 boat trailers in the parking lot, here are a couple of pics of what we saw.

[Image: Willard-marina-9-26-21.jpg]

[Image: willardmarina-9-26-21.jpg]