Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Deer Creek Walleye 9/26
I decided to make a quick run to Deer Creek yesterday after putting some new seats and electronics on the boat, launched at the island about 12:30pm was trolling near the island getting use to my new electronics first pole bent over within 5 minutes of being in the water it was a chunky 15 inch rainbow continued trolling noticed some schools of baitfish in about 30 feet of water and suspended about 8-10 off the bottom found some good fish marks near the baitfish had a hunch they were suspended walleye switched bait to 4 and 5 inch rapalas one in rainbow trout pattern and one in a perch pattern trolled back through the areas I marked the baitfish and saw the rod with the rainbow pattern slowly start bending back sure enough it was a 17"-18" walleye zig zagged my way back through a few times and picked up 6 more walleye then couldnt find the baitfish anymore and my walleye fun was over but had some great fish to fillet. The rainbow pattern out did the perch pattern 5 to1 
[Image: 20210926-170038.jpg]

[Image: 20210926-173603-resized.jpg]

[Image: 20210926-173612-resized.jpg]

remember poem by christina georgina rossetti

[Image: 20210926-170052-resized.jpg]

[Image: boat.jpg]
Great find, good sized. Better than my 12 inchers.

Im Surprised you found 30 feet by the island.
What was it like over by the tracks.
(09-27-2021, 07:42 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Great find, good sized. Better than my 12 inchers.

Im Surprised you found 30 feet by the island. 
What was it like over by the tracks.

I fish along the tracks often but didnt make it over there yesterday I plan on going back this weekend, about 30-40 yards off the island towards the tracks 30+ feet deep trolled south towards the marina and over to the rocks near the highway then turned and ziig zag back near the island all fish were caught in 24+ feet of water most in 30 to 35 feet and suspended 8-10 feet off the bottom
If your going this weekend you will have boaters to contend with. I choose week days.
Sounds like weather is going to be rainy this week
Good eating right there. Well done!
(09-27-2021, 05:31 PM)Trolling71 Wrote: I continued trolling noticed some schools of baitfish in about 30 feet of water and suspended about 8-10 off the bottom found some good fish marks near the baitfish had a hunch they were suspended walleye switched bait to 4 and 5 inch rapalas one in rainbow trout pattern and one in a perch pattern trolled back through the areas I marked the baitfish and saw the rod with the rainbow pattern slowly start bending back sure enough it was a 17"-18" walleye zig zagged my way back through a few times and picked up 6 more walleye then couldnt find the baitfish anymore and my walleye fun was over but had some great fish to fillet. The rainbow pattern out did the perch pattern 5 to1 
On my trip to Deer Creek on Sept. 14th I watched a DWR hatchery truck dump 5000 surplus 5" rainbows off the Island boat ramp.  See pic.  Just thinking maybe some of those "baitfish" might have been rainbows.  More likely small perch.  But the walleyes in Deer Creek have always been fond of bitty bows.  And I also do well with a rainbow trout crankbait.
[Image: 5000-RAINBOWS.jpg]  [Image: RAINBOW.jpg]

(09-27-2021, 10:55 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: If your going this weekend you will have boaters to contend with.  I choose week days.
Sounds  like weather is going to be rainy this week

Wish I could get out on the weekdays, last weekend wasnt bad only a few of the die hard power squad.