Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard N. Marina 9-27-21 (WITH VIDEO)
Met up with fellow tuber Lee at the N. Marina Monday morning.  Really “low tide”.  Got our tubes launched a bit before 8 am and headed in different directions.  Air temp 52…rising to 77 by noon departure.  Water temps from 64 early to 66 by noon.
[Image: WILLARD-LAUNCH.jpg] [Image: RAMP-EAST.jpg]  [Image: RAMP-WEST.jpg]

Light breezes to flat calm all morning.  Water clarity so-so…with some staining.  Lots of dead and dying baby shad about 1.5 – 2”.  Birds glutted and not actively working the shad.  Also lots of shad schools on sonar almost everywhere.  The predators got it good at Willard.  All the larger fish on sonar had distended guts and there were little burp bubbles coming up all over the lake.

Lee worked shallower water…less than 10’.  I motored out to find deeper water in search of non-cat species.  I found nothing but Lee managed to catch 3 cats over a couple of hours before I came back into shallower water.  I finally managed to scratch out a couple of kitties before the “big bite” completely died off.
[Image: LEE-AFLOAT.jpg]
During the course of the morning I tried plastics, cranks, spinners, and fligs.  Only bites I got were on silver or blue/silver fligs sweetened with chub minnows.  Didn’t get any bites on lures sweetened with crawler.  In addition to the two cats I caught, I had several “pop and drop” hits…and some “rattle rattle” hits that were kinda like perch.    About time for them to move in but with all the food in the water they are not likely to get active for a while.  Also, they seem to prefer cooler water…like down around 50 and below.
[Image: FIRST.jpg]  [Image: ONLY-TWO.jpg]

Lee and I had the whole lake to ourselves this morning.  Neener neener to the power squadron.  Come on out.  I dare ya.  Lots of humps and rocks to ding your ‘spensive craft.  At one spot…about 200 yards out from the north marina…it shallowed up and I was actually kicking rocks with my fins.  I could have stood up in the shallow water.  Those spots will rip the transom right out of daddy’s big boat.

Saw a couple of folks fishing from shore but did not see them catch anything…and they did not stay long.
[Image: BANK-TANGLER.jpg]

About the video.  Have finally got a custom chest mount PVC (what else?) camera mount that allows for easy adjustments and camera angles.  Most of my shots  came out okay, but I am having some issues with the camera.  It cut out a couple of times yesterday before I finished shooting a scene…and completely failed to record a couple of others.  Will be getting software upgrade on the camera this week.

LINK TO VIDEO:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tyALhNjtNE
Well shucks, sounds like I bet go back to the south marina in the morning.
(09-28-2021, 03:50 PM)FatBiker Wrote: Well shucks, sounds like I bet go back to the south marina in the morning.

Yep.  Ya cain't ketch 'em where they ain't...or where they ain't bitin'.

Good luck.  Supposed to be some weather.
It was a slow day for sure. But it was a purty day and nice water. Thanks for another great outing . Let me know bout Provo
Was just reading you and Lees report. Was think cats after the front calmed down this week but maybe I will wait a bit longer and keep chasn panfish
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(09-28-2021, 05:12 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Was just reading you and Lees report. Was think cats after the front calmed down this week but maybe I will wait a bit longer and keep chasn panfish
I doubt I will dally at Willard again for at least 2-3 weeks.