Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport Low Water article & pics
Snagged this article and pics off a story in the Miami Herald.  Some cool info and images of our little pond.

[Image: ROCKPORT-1.jpg]   [Image: ROCKPORT-EXPOSED.jpg] 

Attached Files
.pdf   ROCKPORT LOW WATER.pdf (Size: 373.71 KB / Downloads: 49)
(09-28-2021, 02:56 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Snagged this article and pics off a story in the Miami Herald.  Some cool info and images of our little pond.

[Image: ROCKPORT-1.jpg]   [Image: ROCKPORT-EXPOSED.jpg] 

I think I'll take a drive and locate some structures,  many lakes showing fish able structures now.
Interesting article. I've lived in Salt Lake all my life and I remember when Rockport was built. When I fished with my dad we would stop and look at it.
Pretty cool stuff, T.D. ... tks for sharing...
My former Brother-in-Law was a Utah Highway Patrolman back in the 70's . After a couple of years at the weigh station in Wendover, he went on patrol, from the top of Parley's to the Utah/Wyoming line. He and my Sister-in-Law lived in Wanship, almost at the end of the road that comes under I-15 from Rockport.

He was a dirt bike rider and he and some others would set up a course when Rockport got low enough to expose the upper end. Like all dirt bike riders, he crashed a bunch and he would get injured. From about 1976 to 1980, he would purchase a new bike in the spring, ride it through the summer, crash, break his collar bone, sell the bike and swear he would never ride again. He repeated this three years in a row, always biffing it up at the course at Rockport. Don't think they allow riders on the dry lake anymore, but they used to have a course up there when the water was low.

Don't remember it ever being this low however. Echo is almost as bad. It is allowing for construction of new ramp and launch facilities however.
Hey, 
That’s my Kastmaster jammed in that footing!
Interesting story.

My Dad (Who is still alive) drove a dump truck hauling and dumping rock in the construction of the Wanship Dam.