Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
trolling speed
The slowest speed we can get out kicker is 1.1 mph.
At times I would like to be able to run slower and am wondering which is better.

1. Change to a diff. pitch prop.
2. Change to a diff. dia. prop.

Anybody have experience with this?

I am leaning towards a diff. pitch prop at this time.
I have a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust that came stock with a 3 blade 7 pitch prop. For a while I was considering changing prop opting for slower speed but procrastinated until 2knots Alan contacted me he did change his. His motor is also the Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. I followed what he did with good results of slower speed. We both went to a 4 blade 10"x 5 pitch dropping speed into the 0.7 range. Also what changed was RPM's going higher for example if using 1.6 than what it was with previous prop. It doesn't hurt anything but it does take some getting use to hearing the motor rev a little higher tune. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(09-29-2021, 01:19 PM)Bduck Wrote: I have a Yamaha 9.9 high thrust that came stock with a 3 blade 7 pitch prop. For a while I was considering changing prop opting for slower speed but procrastinated until 2knots Alan contacted me he did change his. His motor is also the Yamaha 9.9 high thrust. I followed what he did with good results of slower speed. We both went to a 4 blade 10"x 5 pitch dropping speed into the 0.7 range. Also what changed was RPM's going higher for example if using 1.6 than what it was with previous prop. It doesn't hurt anything but it does take some getting use to hearing the motor rev a little higher tune. Kodi nox 

I would love to have it
Here’s the prop I switched to, really slowed me down for when I want slow, reduced pitch and diameter as Roger said

[Image: F0-A443-E5-4268-4239-A933-2-E4254-F0-BD60.jpg]
You can also toss out a "drag bag" or drift sack which will help slow you down. (Just be darn sure you remember to bring it in!)
(09-29-2021, 01:47 AM)PACMEN Wrote: The slowest speed we can get out kicker is 1.1 mph.
At times I would like to be able to run slower and am wondering which is better.

If I’m trolling slower than that I use the electric up front.
(03-14-2022, 06:41 AM)submoa Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 01:47 AM)PACMEN Wrote: The slowest speed we can get out kicker is 1.1 mph.

If I’m trolling slower than that I use the electric up front.
+1 on the Electric for going at speeds below 1 mph, plus it's quiter.