Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport yesterday
Fished from shore on State Park side.  Perch bite was good and most were 8-1/2 to 9-1/2 inches.  No huge ones.

Actually caught more than any ice fishing trip to Rockport last Winter.

No boats on the water and very few fishermen on shore.
(09-29-2021, 02:19 AM)Crimson Wrote: Fished from shore on State Park side.  Perch bite was good and most were 8-1/2 to 9-1/2 inches.  No huge ones.

Sounds like you found them, seems to be lots of decent sized perch this year. Were you fishing on the bottom or using a bobber and jig? From what we saw last week, it would be hard to launch a boat there now.
(09-30-2021, 05:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(09-29-2021, 02:19 AM)Crimson Wrote: Fished from shore on State Park side.  Perch bite was good and most were 8-1/2 to 9-1/2 inches.  No huge ones.

Sounds like you found them, seems to be lots of decent sized perch this year. Were you fishing on the bottom or using a bobber and jig? From what we saw last week, it would be hard to launch a boat there now.

I was fishing the bottom with a marshmellow a few inches back of a piece of worm on a small hook.  Similar to floating jig some are using. 

Only problem, I was casting out a long ways and the Perch were swallowing the hook, so not like ice fishing where almost 100% are hooked in the mouth.  But ice fishing Perch are usually brought up from deep, so probably going to die either way.
I have been thinking of taking my drift boat up there.
(10-02-2021, 11:14 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: I have been thinking of taking my drift boat up there.

Unless you are going to hand launch, your trailer will get buried in the mud, if you back in too far and you might need some hip waders. Here are a couple of pics from last week.
[Image: RP-ramp1.jpg]

[Image: RP-ramp2.jpg]
(10-03-2021, 01:06 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 11:14 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: I have been thinking of taking my drift boat up there.

Unless you are going to hand launch, your trailer will get buried in the mud, if you back in too far and you might need some hip waders. Here are a couple of pics from last week.

Thank you for posting that, i had it in my head I would drive down the beach to launch h in a harder spot.

Took the pup up there for some water work and I quickly learned it's all soup everywhere.

Is echo any firmer? I wouldnt mind fishing a "no access" lake out out of the larvo thisnfall.
(10-03-2021, 01:38 PM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote:

Thank you for posting that, i had it in my head I would drive down the beach to launch h in a harder spot.

Took the pup up there for some water work and I quickly learned it's all soup everywhere.

Is echo any firmer? I wouldnt mind fishing a "no access" lake out out of the larvo thisnfall.
I dont know what you float, but driving down to the lake on Echo is a no go. Only access is by roadside pullouts. State park access is closed.
Gabe
(10-03-2021, 03:33 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:

I dont know what you float, but driving down to the lake on Echo is a no go. Only access is by roadside pullouts. State park access is closed.
Gabe

If you want perch fron a boat, I think Mantua might be a better choice.

At Rockport it is not legal to drive down to the shore and launch and as mentioned Echo is closed. Your best options are Pineview, Mantua or if you have a 4x4 Porcupine. Of course Jordanelle, Willard and Utah lake are other options, depending on what you are trying to catch.
Thanks for the response- that's too bad.