Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why braid line?
Braid has been an amazing fishing line improvement - especially compared to monofilament. 8 lb test braid has the diameter of 2 lb test mono; 15 lb test the diameter of 8 lb test mono. 

Cast distance is greater for light lures vs mono as is strike detection (tiny thump or click) and once felt, just raising the rod a bit gets the hook set started. 

The line is so strong, I can pull my small rowboat to a snag (mostly stumps) and retrieve the lure. With small single bronze hooks, I can pull the lure free by straightening the hook and then bend it back to its normal curve.

I leave my rods in the open on the boat and there is no degradation from the sun's UV.

Very important is that there are no line memory problems (coils) that mess up the cast or get tangled or line twist which is worse.

I've used braid on baitcast, spincast and spinning reels with no problems except when casting light lures into the wind - pretty much the same for any light lure.

Braid is far more abrasion resistant than other types, preventing snap-offs when fish surge.

Anglers have their favorites as do I and I won't go to any other brand after testing at least a half dozen of the more prominent names.
I fixed your post for you. I think most of us agree with your post but have you ever found that fish are line shy when using braid?
(10-01-2021, 01:34 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: but have you ever found that fish are line shy when using braid?

Never. I used to use Stren fluorescent chartreuse 20 lb test line and bass still hit my Texas rig 6" plastic worm. That was a true 20 lb diameter thickness. 

Even the smallest fish strike using the slowest retrieve and smallest lures (i.e. flies):
[Image: UOjK8TZ.jpg]

as do the larger fish (8 1/4"):
[Image: 7KUX4Gm.jpg?1]

The whole point of using lures is to force the fish to focus on a moving object while ignoring everything in its surroundings and that includes line, swivels and Crappie Spin/ Mepps wire & flashing blade. A blade's strobe-like flash would make me swim away if I were a fish - especially giant willow-leaf blade spinnerbaits R. Martin introduced in the 80's. So much for the line-shy/lure-shy label. What was this bass thinking when it struck this lure with all its unnatural crap:
[Image: dWYuutY.jpg?2]
Fact is - IT DIDN'T, DOESN'T AND CAN'T THINK!

Most important to me is the effect line diameter and line softness have on lure action. If line diameter/ thickness or stiffness inhibits a lure's action, I won't use it or will use a thinner diameter leader. The heavier the lure the less likely the line will have that effect - 1/2 oz. skirted bass jigs or 3/4 oz. Hopkins spoons for example. 1/32 oz. jigs do require a smaller diameter line but still, 2# test braid I can barely see to tie on the lure is out of the question and has no advantage. I've been even trying 15 lb test/6# diameter braid just to see any difference in catches. So far, none.

Braid begins the panic phase of the strike faster than stretchy lines once the fish is stuck because of zero-stretch. Many fish have attacked lures over and over on the same or next retrieve. P.O. a fish long enough and fish on! - braid not a deterrent unlike crap presentations

Are all brand braids the same? Definitely not! We have our favorites, I only have one after dumping 5 brands in the garbage. Lure action inhibition the reason.

As with anything when it comes to fishing, it works for you or doesn't regardless the thought process that went into your choices. But experience on the water proves or disproves - or at least alters - our beliefs over time, unlike all or none computer games that don't and can't.