Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordonelle Kokanee run
Did I miss it?
I've been up the the river above 3 times in the past 2 weeks, not a fish to be seen.  Not alive or dead.  No clusters of eagles and osprey feasting on the remains. I've been looking mainly at the river crossing just above the lake and not a thing.
Are they spawning below, in the miles of river between the lake and rock cliff?
Water top warm due to being so low?
In my experience none of the conditions I mentioned above slows down a salmon on it's spawn run.
I like viewing fish and wild life and hope I didn't miss it.  If anyone knows when they show up or if I should be looking way up canyon, let me know.
(10-04-2021, 02:21 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Did I miss it?
I've been up the the river above 3 times in the past 2 weeks, not a fish to be seen.  Not alive or dead.  No clusters of eagles and osprey feasting on the remains. I've been looking mainly at the river crossing just above the lake and not a thing.
Are they spawning below, in the miles of river between the lake and rock cliff?
Water top warm due to being so low?
In my experience none of the conditions I mentioned above slows down a salmon on it's spawn run.
I like viewing fish and wild life and hope I didn't miss it.  If anyone knows when they show up or if I should be looking way up canyon, let me know.

I know that they were running up the Provo where it dumps into the lake last week. Id be surprised if they weren't still there.
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
I was up in the rock cliff area a week ago and saw some under the pedestrian bridge by the visitor center, but not as many as in years past. Another spectator told me they had started running labor day weekend this year.
I went up to look on Sept 6th. I only saw a few fish, like 5 in one hole only near the visitors center. Last year there were hundreds or more and they were in many holes and runs. I have a friend that has a place up at Victory Ranch and he said there were tons up there last year. I have not talked to him this year, but from what I have seen and heard, the numbers are way down. The fishing for Kokes this year was much slower up there than the past 3 for sure.
I still believe that all of the predators' are taking a big toll on the stocked and also on any reproduction/return that might occur in the river.
Smallmouth, Wipers, Tiger trout, Musky, Browns even bigger Rainbows all love to eat small fish. In the early years of Koke stocking the predators either were not there or not big enough to eat the Kokes. Now they are and they have planted a lot of predators and are actually planting lower number of Kokes. Hopefully they will reduce stocking of predators and increase Koke numbers. I saw a picture of a 5 Lb wiper caught at Jordanelle the other day caught on a 7 inch jerkbait. He said he saw lots of others chasing his lure but not hitting it. He was trying for SMB for a tourney so moved on. Wipers are fish eating machines !
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life