Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard South - 10\4
Got busy this morning so it was noon before I got the kayak to the south marina.  Fishing by 12:30.  Nothing in the inlet and dodged a shore fisherman on each side as I entered the bay.  First kitty just before the buoys.  Instead of the feedlot, I made big lazy circles just past the buoys.  Six catfish caught by the time I got back to the boat ramp about 4. All fish were caught dragging a Santee rig tipped with chicken at about .5 MPH.  T he irrigation canal is empty so it shouldn't get much lower. Water temp was 64 degrees.  Big wake boat coming in to the parking lot as I drove out.
[Image: IMG-20211004-153634999-HDR.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211004-124220787-HDR.jpg]

[Image: IMG-20211004-130310096-HDR.jpg]
You sure got out a lot last week Larry. When you launched your yak, could you get that trailer in the water deep enough to float it off, in the south marina.
Yes. I was able to back in far enough to get water on the back of the trailer so I could slide it on and off. Beware of the ramp snot. Since the ramps aren't getting much use, they're slick, really slick. If I remember, there was one trailer in the parking lot when I got back.  If you take your boat stay on the east side of the marina as you come out. I was a little too close to the west bank and got grounded at one point.  I pulled the flippers and paddled back into deeper water.  If the weather let's me I'm going to try the south marina this week.
I'll be interested to hear what you find when you get out of the South marina, hopefully the water level has stabilized and will not drop any more this year. I think we will give it a try as well but will launch from the North end, just to be on the safe side.
Unless they're releasing water into the lake, the water won't drop. The irrigation canal dried up 10 days ago. North marina is much better for boats. Be careful in the lake. Several times I went from 6ft to 2.5 feet within about 10 feet.
(10-13-2021, 01:57 AM)FatBiker Wrote: Unless they're releasing water into the lake, the water won't drop.  The irrigation canal dried up 10 days ago.  North marina is much better for boats.  Be careful in the lake. Several times I went from 6ft to 2.5 feet within about 10 feet.

They have to maintain a certain amount of out flow out of the lake in order to keep of flows for the wildlife management area just outside the SW corner of the lake. Years ago, when the lake was even lower than it is now, they had to pump it out, so if there is no water coming in, the level will continue to drop until they start letting water back in.
Larry, how deep are the marinas these days? Any chance the fall fish will come into them this year? Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!