Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porcupine visit
Ran up to the lake this am to check out the koke spawn and water levels with a bit of tube tossing to see if any browns wanted to play. Kokes were doing their thing in the stream with bald and golden eagles cashing in on the bounty, didn’t walk up to the beaver ponds as there were quite a few kokes still down low. Access was easy with the low water levels as you can drive right down to the stream through the camp area right above the spring. Someone had a rig stuck down in the mud that thought they would do a little mud bogging over toward the spring. Took the road down right below the spring and out onto the big flat that’s exposed, rough section right at the top but you can go left and it’s easier to get down the 1st pitch and could pull a small trailer down to launch. Made a bunch of casts off the point here and hooked into a brown about 18’s on the white tube but it came unbuttoned right before I got it to shore and that was it. Some trout in close to the bank gulping a midge or 2 and also some red kokes s fusing around on the edge of the flats. Then went down to the 1st launch where the water has gotten low enough to expose a point on the right side that people have launched small boats on trailers off of, I couldn’t just turn around with my 3/4 ton but a tighter turning rig could probably make it and not have to try and back down and around the corners and rocks. On the way out saw some trout cruising along the face of the dam also

Kokes

[Image: 327-D942-E-9-DEE-42-A4-A846-D139-D4-F33-A6-B.jpg]
[Image: 1-AB04-EF7-7174-45-D1-A328-584-CE0-E840-F3.jpg]

[Image: EC4234-EB-CD9-B-4-D01-9148-8-DAB2-C9-E5132.jpg]

Stuck and the eagles
[Image: 30-F805-D2-3-A01-4-BB9-974-F-F860-AB1-E5655.jpg]

[Image: 92681-A16-81-EE-4-F89-A55-F-B5-F0-F8-AB6748.jpg]

Launch area below the spring, gets real shallow not much beyond the x

[Image: 5-FEED673-CEBB-4062-B46-D-9935-E4-A1-EAF7.jpg]

1st launch point

[Image: 859-AAA87-7-D08-4-F49-A140-B86-BD4607-C0-C.jpg]
Thanks Alan, I've never seen the pond that low before.... Guess I should run up and take a look to see what areas are usually underwater that could be good fishing spots.... Thanks for the post... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Great report and pics Alan, thanks for taking the time to drive up there and checking it out. So does it look like you could launch there near the X in your one pic?
(10-05-2021, 05:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report and pics Alan, thanks for taking the time to drive up there and checking it out. So does it look like you could launch there near the X in your one pic?

Can you tell how big the kokanees have grown.  How long are they? The stream does not have very many fish.
I've never fished there, just want to know if it be worth the drive next year.
(10-05-2021, 05:40 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(10-05-2021, 05:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report and pics Alan, thanks for taking the time to drive up there and checking it out. So does it look like you could launch there near the X in your one pic?

Can you tell how big the kokanees have grown.  How long are they? The stream does not have very many fish.

They don't get very big in there but the limit is 12 kokes, the largest I have caught are 13", I have heard a few get bigger  but the average is around 11 or 12".
(10-05-2021, 05:56 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

They don't get very big in there but the limit is 12 kokes, the largest I have caught are 13", I have heard a few get bigger  but the average is around 11 or 12".
Are you able to catch a limit? 
Is this just an early morning bite?
(10-05-2021, 06:29 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(10-05-2021, 05:56 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Are you able to catch a limit? 
Is this just an early morning bite?

It depends on the year but yes you can catch your limits there, as long as you are willing to keep some smaller fish. The bite is for sure better in the morning, to catch two limits I've stayed as long as 1 pm.
Yes that is where I would launch at

As Curt said about 11-13”s, there is typically more fish upstream where they get stopped by the beaver dams. The couple of times I’ve gone after them there it seems all we catch is the 6-7” fish and don’t mark any of the bigger fish, they could be all high in the water though
(10-05-2021, 09:13 PM)2knots Wrote:

As Curt said about 11-13”s, there is typically more fish upstream where they get stopped by the beaver dams. The couple of times I’ve gone after them there it seems all we catch is the 6-7” fish and don’t mark any of the bigger fish, they could be all high in the water though

That was why we stopped fishing there in the Summer because of the smaller fish and other nearby lakes have bigger fish, even if you can't keep as many.
They are small, but if you live in Cache valley they are closer than most other kokes so we still fish for them... Price of gas might be keeping us closer to home in the future... There is the benefit of Browns and Cutts that can have some size up there, so that's probably more why we fish there, it's not a rainbow factory so the diversity of the lake makes it fun, but it can be tough to find the fish too... probably like a lost creek type lake, not easy to fish, but an adventure... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!