Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone Running an ATV With Tracks
Listed my ice fishing snowmobile on a whim, before I knew it I had a deposit. 

My plan was to outfit one of my atvs (800) with snow tracks.

Anyone run them? How do they deal with the slush monster? With glare ice? 

Internet seems to either love or hate them, looking for some utah specifics.

I never venture onto ice I question, but it does seem to me the load is spread more evenly.

Thanks
(10-06-2021, 01:57 AM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Listed my ice fishing snowmobile on a whim, before I knew it I had a deposit. 

I never venture onto ice I question, but it does seem to me the load is spread more evenly.

Thanks
MrShane is the only BFT member that has one that I'm aware of.
(10-06-2021, 02:07 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(10-06-2021, 01:57 AM)PAC12_AfterDark Wrote: Listed my ice fishing snowmobile on a whim, before I knew it I had a deposit. 

Thanks
MrShane is the only BFT member that has one that I'm aware of.

Thank you - hopefully they chime in or others have experience.
A friend that I icefish with has a Sportsman 700 with tracks, it's been sort of a love hate relationship over the two years he's had it... The tracks really slow it down, but it's a total tank for power pulling on the ice. It actually did pretty well in deep new snow, but I think he had trouble with wear and tare on his machine. If I remember correctly he wished he hadn't done it... I think slush would be a no go from what I seen of it in operation... But I'll let others add their experience and see what they think... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!

Thanks
Do yourself a huge favor and call the track MFG and discuss in detail with them what ATVs are suitable for using track systems - not all ATVs are suitable.  I did that two years ago and made the decision to not do it.  Last year, I sold my snowmobile and bought a Snowdog.  It has limitations just like every other hauling device used for ice fishing.  But most of the time it is the best device I've owned so far.  Tracks only work great on just a couple brands of quads.  Call the track company before you spend the $4 to $5 grand the tracks will cost you.  My Snowdog out the door was $4,300.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Bob I didn't ever talk to you and find out why you switched from the snowmobile? You had a really nice sled, what caused you to switch from it? I really like my snowmobile and it seems to me to be the best option, but I was a snowmobiler in a previous recreational life, and I do realize that snowmobiles take some experience to keep them running and know how to keep from getting too stuck... They are heavy and usually require a trailer... (Especially when you need room for your ice gear) But man nothing is near as fast or has the range that a snowmobile does and they can take so much gear with you, it's hard for me to think of any other method that can do what a sled can... At least for snow camping or fishing a ways away from the ramps... I do realize there are days when I go light and just pull a jet sled by hand because of thin ice or wanting to simplify my trip, but when I need gear, there's only one way to make it through slush or deep fresh snow and it requires lots of HP and paddle tracks... I realize there aren't too many days that fall into that category, but when they do, you're not left watching from the ramp... Maybe the snowdogs can still make it out, but they are probably following a snowmobile track... Just my take on the issue... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
[Image: 1-B91-AE55-813-A-4-C96-9-ECE-A3-F251-D4-DDC7.jpg]

[Image: 2-B189-AD1-AFD7-4-C01-B946-9-C387-F4-AD67-A.jpg]

[Image: 5698164-C-2-A9-C-453-E-9272-65-B4-B03-F3-A22.jpg]

[Image: DFFA9-ACE-8-A4-F-486-D-82-BB-091-D03-DB12-E1.jpg]

I run a set and love them.
I cross asphalt, dirt, snow, ice, whatever.
I also use them for elk and deer hunting as they are a set of four season tracks.
Drop shipped for $900/corner.
They are not a snowmobile so you still have to be careful and you won’t be going faster than 30 mph.
I run them on a Grizzly 700 that has power steering and a locking front differential.
I also added a winch but have never needed it.
I also added a speed/odometer correction device to keep accurate miles for my machine.
In the beginning and the end of the season I have places all to myself because conditions are too muddy for a snowmobile to get to the snowline and if an atv can get there the snow gets too deep for the atv.
That being said, make friends with other tracked vehicle owners because at that point only a helicopter can get to you.
But, that’s what makes them so awesome.
Come check mine out in person if you would like, I am in Riverton.