Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Goldfish planted in 215 pond
What is the purpose of the Goldfish planted in the 215 pond ? Are they considered

a game fish..i,e Carp ?
[signature]
They were planted illegally by some idiot.
[signature]
People are always dumping them places. Every once in a while I've hooked into one or two down at Utah Lake. One was about 15 inches and easily weighed a pound.

If you look at the species of fish listed as being present in the state on the DWR website, they actually list it as being in several waters.
[signature]
PEOPLE GO GET COY BY MISTAKE FOR PET FISH, WHEN THE FISH GET TOO BIG THEY DUMP EM IN A CANAL OR POND NEARBY IF THEY MAKE IT INTO A SUPPLY STREAM OR CANAL, MAN THEY CAN SPREAD LIKE WILDFIRE IN THE CALIFORNIA FOOTHILLS!! THEY ARE PROLIFIC AND CAN THRIVE IN ALMOST ANY WATER AND CAN TOLERATE A WIDE TEMP RANGE, BUT MOSTLY AS STATED BEFORE, SOME IDIOT PUTS THEM THERE ILLEGALY. THEYCAN BE FUN TO DIP NET, AND I HAVENT MET A FISH COP YET THAT WOULD GIVE YOU ANY GUFF ABOUT GETTIN THEM OUT OF THE WATER, IF YOU KILL EM THEY MAKE A PRETTY GOOD CUT BAIT TOO......BUT THEY KINDA GET REAL STINKY. I LIKE TO USE THE STRIPS OF FLESH WITH THE BRIGHT SCALES ON ONE SIDE, IT MAKES IT LOOK LIKE AN ORANGE SPOON, AND THE PREDATORS JUST PLAIN OLE' ZOOM IN ON THAT EASY MEAL!!

LATERS,
[signature]
There is a pond down by the new golf course in Orem (about 1000 South and a ways west of Geneva Rd.) that goldfish were planted in. When I was a kid my friend's uncle owned a pond in Orem just North of UVSC, and when he eventually drained in we trapped a whole bunch of largemouth bass and goldfish from the pond and went and released them to this pond by the golf course. The owner of that pond is Darrel Clegg -- he's a relative of the other guy. The pond drains directly in Powell Slough, which drains directly into Utah Lake. Many of them could have escaped that way as well.
[signature]
[Wink]yeah probably the same idiot that let his pet pirahna loose in the jordan river that was caught by an angler a few years ago. and the same idiot that planted Small mouth bass in the Berry.[mad]
[signature]
Them people that do that are jack asses. Why goldies? Why not introduce perch or catfish? Stupidity. They are a delacacy to the chineese, though. In their words "Its an ancient chineese sicret!"[Tongue]
[signature]
the problem is that stupid people are just that, they have no clue what that does to a lakes eco system. and once there they are hard to get rid of. Look at the perch in fish lake they are eating all the chub's row and now the lake trout are starving. as they don't eat the pearch.
[signature]
I too am kinda irritated with the illigal planting going on today... for example.

i was so bummed to find out that there were perch in mantua. they will wipe

that lake out. it is a great bass and bluegill reservior and in a few years it will be dominated

by those stupid little buggers. I hope it will eventually stop.

JOe
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There are goldfish in a lot of waters around the country simply because some folks buy them for bait. When they are through fishing they dump the bucket. I know it is illegal to use live bait in Utah, but that does not mean some out-of-state transplants don't use goldfish. Bass and cats love them. And, if they don't care about violating the laws for live bait, why should they care about introducing a new fish species.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Along the Colorado River, between California and Arizona, a lot of the dedicated big cat fishermen get into bidding wars on the biggest goldfish available at the bait shops. Big flathead catfish, up to 75 pounds, eat big baits. A big flashy goldfish gets attention.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]And, anybody who has kept a largemouth in an aquarium can attest to how much the largies like goldies. I have seen a two pound largemouth make one quick circle of the tank and slurp up a dozen 3-inch goldfish in just a few seconds.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]In the final analysis, goldfish are simply carp, with a fancy set of clothes. The Koi carp, from Asia, are fancier yet. They have been specially developed over thousands of years to have multiple color combinations. Some patterns are worth thousands of dollars in a large spawning age individual. I have caught them up to 20 pounds in a couple of lakes in California where they were planted to provide both beauty and weed control. Of course I released them back into the lake to provide ongoing entertainment for those who like to toss bread to them.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]In Lake Cachuma, near Santa Barbara California, goldfish were introduced by "bait bucket bozos" many years ago. They established a hefty breeding population and you can see them swimming by almost anywhere you fish from shore. Being carp, they swarm weedy shallows in the spring and from a distance you can see entire coves turn a bright orange with all the goldfish spawning. More than a few big bass are caught on those bright orange models made by Rapala.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]
I used to live in california, and i used to see tons of gold fish, especially in lake gregory.. some pretty decent ones upp to ten pounds. I would catch them on worms while fishing for cats.

Joe
[signature]
Farmington pond has all kinds of fish in it from illegal planting. Green sunfish, bluegill, suckers, carp, etc. Has anyone seen the weird suckers that swim along the west bank? They swim in large schools and have stripes, their fins feel like sandpaper.
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like spawning colors and behavior. Several members of the minnow family (including suckers) get rough protrusions on their fins and skin at spawning time. Most likely just the good old Utah suckers.

Now if you found some that glow in the dark, we may gots a problem.
[signature]
That makes sense, for a while I thought there were amazonian fish in the pond.
[signature]