Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
have you? Salmon Jerky
Salmon Jerky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-1xWL0e...er%26Spice
You bet. All kinds of fish jerky. Love me some Kokanee jerky or lox. Whitefish is good jerky, Lake trout, crappie, perch and bluegill, catfish, all good as jerky, even sucker and carp from clean water. Salt water fish too, mackerel, tuna, bottom fish, all good.
Fish jerky is a perfect snack.
I like sweet brines more than salty, teriyaki, bbq, Caribbean jerk, lemon pepper, soy ginger, cilantro lime and variations of for a real variety of flavors. I tend to go with the lighter, citrus and fruit with the lighter flesh fish and darker and stronger the more oily the fish is.
Had a friend awhile back that made duck and goose jerky. It was pretty tolerable as I remember. Wonder how it would be to try somthing like on sage hens,,?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
A few years ago Dubob shared some duck or maybe it was goose sausage with me, and I found that much better than duck processed in any other manner, it was in fact very good. I would bet any game bird could be made into sausage. I have made salmon jerky, not on purpose but it was like jerky because it was dried out so much, when I smoked it.
I make tons of sausage, jerky, brats, smoked fish, lox etc., probably literally over all the years. Sausage made from duck and goose with some pork jowl added for fat is excellent ! I have served it to many people over the years without mentioning what it was made from. Never heard a complaint it usually gets great compliments. I have served it along side sausage made from elk and deer, most often people actually prefer the duck!
As far as the Sage grouse comment I think they taste great cooked many ways , unless it is a very old tough bird. I’m sure sausage from grouse would be fine, just hard to get enough to make it worth making a batch. I usually don’t make less than 25lbs at a time, more often 75 or 100 pounds.
Several times after Canada waterfowl trips made 150lbs.
We make summer sausage, salami, hot dogs , polish, Italian, andouille, breakfast and more, It turns out great.
One year a group of us combined efforts and made 75lbs of brats from cottontails. They were fantastic!
It takes some equipment and effort but it’s well worth it, and you know how the meat was processed and taken care off.
[Image: DAC63-C81-B30-F-45-D0-8-F98-C147-B91538-C2.jpg]
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(10-22-2021, 04:34 AM)Mildog Wrote: I make tons of sausage, jerky, brats, smoked fish, lox etc., probably literally over all the years. Sausage made from duck and goose with some pork jowl added for fat is excellent ! I have served it to many people over the years without mentioning what it was made from. Never heard a complaint it usually gets great compliments. I have served it along side sausage made from elk and deer, most often people actually prefer the duck!
As far as the Sage grouse comment I think they taste great cooked many ways , unless it is a very old tough bird. I’m sure sausage from grouse would be fine, just hard to get enough to make it worth making a batch. I usually don’t make less than 25lbs at a time, more often 75 or 100 pounds.
Several times after Canada waterfowl trips made 150lbs.
We make summer sausage, salami, hot dogs , polish, Italian, andouille, breakfast and more, It turns out great.
One year a group of us combined efforts and made 75lbs of brats from cottontails. They were fantastic!
It takes some equipment and effort but it’s well worth it, and you know how the meat was processed and taken care off.
[Image: DAC63-C81-B30-F-45-D0-8-F98-C147-B91538-C2.jpg]
When did you say the next class to do this was??