Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Catching Firetrucks on Soldier Creek
We're back from vacation and just got done dropping the latest video. If you're missing Kokanee fishing like I am or getting ready for the upcoming ice season and just want to reminisce. Our last Kokanee trip of the season, September 6th, up to Soldier Creek.  We got 4 of these firetrucks.  This video has some great action with some beautiful fish.  There's a clip with the Kokanee porpoising out of the lake as we're reeling in another fish.  Absolutely amazing!! Wonderful time for our last trip.  As always hope to see you on the water!

https://youtu.be/IJaJmkxUd_4

[Image: knotty-kokes.jpg]
Most people consider fishing a vacation - do you consider it work Wink

Nice fish
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Nicely done knottyhookr, enjoyed the video.  

Before retirement day came along I would have to take a vacation day or 2 or sick leave mostly to get away from weekenders for some lake time. Now that I'm retired I have to occasionally get a kitchen pass and make sure "honey do" is whittle down a couple of notches for lake time. At least I can go on good days I pick.  Big Grin No need for vacations or staycations. Does it make sense to say "I live at home to work".
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
Are you eating those kokanees?
(10-14-2021, 03:57 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Are you eating those kokanees?

A lot of people think red kokanee are not good to eat but IMO they taste great. Some people think when they are red they a mushy but that is not the case, but again that is my opinion.
Palatability has a lot to do with timing.  Some kokes turn red before their flesh really starts to degrade.  But the closer it gets to actual spawning time the more of the fishes' flesh and organs have been sacrificed to the development of eggs or milt.

Newly "turned" kokes still have the prized reddish flesh.  Later on the flesh becomes pale and mushy...and develops a musty smell and flavor.
(10-14-2021, 12:24 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Most people consider fishing a vacation - do you consider it work Wink

Nice fish

I do consider fishing a vacation however sometimes when recording trips for content can seem a little bit like work.  The wife wanted a vacation WITHOUT fishing so I let her pick the destination.