Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jjannie's greenhouse addition - 2021
(11-14-2021, 03:10 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: You guys decided to use corrugated metal for the sides of these new grow boxes, less chance of rotting and it looks great, I like it.

Since we were out of cedar to repurpose and use, and with the cost of lumber these days, it was better option. You can make them in any size. We saw that one guy even made them set on large patio pavers all around since his were set in his lawn. This allows him to mow around them easily. Also in corners, we did spray flex-seal rubber coating just to better protect the wood where they should have the moisture touching them. We'll see just how they work out.
That Flex Seal is a great idea for protecting the wood.
(11-16-2021, 02:53 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That Flex Seal is a great idea for protecting the wood.

It's pretty handy stuff.  We've mostly filled all new beds but we left some room for adding manure in spring. Next up, we'll work to clean out the original GH. Peppers and tomatoes are still blooming, but cukes and pole beans are done so we can do a lot of removal there. It will be nice working in GH even in this cooler weather. We also have carrots to get harvested then cleaned up. 

We also need back fill soil around the back/uphill sides of GH. Other than that, we're pretty much winterized all around the yard. Yesterday, we power washed the back patio and furniture, but we still want to do the same on the front porch.  With all construction happening next door its been so dusty for 2 summers and probably will be at least next spring too once they start on their landscaping and putting in the driveway. We've decided he must secretly like 'playing' with all the big equipment they've been using over there. Reminds us of a boy playing with Tonka trucks in the driveway.
(11-16-2021, 06:59 PM)jjannie Wrote:
(11-16-2021, 02:53 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That Flex Seal is a great idea for protecting the wood.

It's pretty handy stuff.  We've mostly filled all new beds but we left some room for adding manure in spring. Next up, we'll work to clean out the original GH. Peppers and tomatoes are still blooming, but cukes and pole beans are done so we can do a lot of removal there. It will be nice working in GH even in this cooler weather. We also have carrots to get harvested then cleaned up. 

We also need back fill soil around the back/uphill sides of GH. Other than that, we're pretty much winterized all around the yard. Yesterday, we power washed the back patio and furniture, but we still want to do the same on the front porch.  With all construction happening next door its been so dusty for 2 summers and probably will be at least next spring too once they start on their landscaping and putting in the driveway. We've decided he must secretly like 'playing' with all the big equipment they've been using over there. Reminds us of a boy playing with Tonka trucks in the driveway.
Where are you going to get the dirt to back fill around the outside of the GH?
I Finally pulled down the fence I put up for the Green Beans(GB) to grow up. Got a few dozen GB when I stripped the vines off the fence. Pulled up our Carrots as well, lots of little ones. Stripped all the kale off the plants a month ago but left the plants standing, they have grown a few more leaves since then but I should have picked them today, because they will likely freeze tonight.
(11-18-2021, 02:39 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Where are you going to get the dirt to back fill around the outside of the GH?
I Finally pulled down the fence I put up for the Green Beans(GB) to grow up. Got a few dozen GB when I stripped the vines off the fence. Pulled up our Carrots as well, lots of little ones. Stripped all the kale off the plants a month ago but left the plants standing, they have grown a few more leaves since then but I should have picked them today, because they will likely freeze tonight.
 we had to cut into the hillside to put on the addition, we also needed the space around the foundation to put in the lag screws  - that's the area we need to back fill. Once back filled, we will stabilize the hill using large pieces of cement curbing that we saved from removing all the side yard lawn and putting in the paver walkway along with some rebar to support everything. 

It was 19 here last night, 21 was our low the night before. We still need to clean up the GH. We sort of did minimal work yesterday - maybe we needed a day off. Today is mostly an errand and appointments day so not sure just what we will get done. Jeff is doing some workshop clean up and organizing when not working outside. I'll make a batch of our tomato soup - between the GH tomatoes and ones that have ripened we had a of tomatoes to be used up - good thing we like that soup. Jeff made fresh salsa yesterday.  We already canned all the soup and salsa we we want to keep longer. 

Note: not sure what was going next door last night, seemed they were once again moving dirt, maybe connecting to their septic tank that has been put in place. At least they rarely work past 10pm anymore. Besides the dust, the constant beeping every time they back up just never seems to end.
(11-18-2021, 03:54 PM)jjannie Wrote:

We also need backfill soil around the back/uphill sides of GH. 
Where are you going to get the dirt to backfill around the outside of the GH?
 we had to cut into the hillside to put on the addition, we also needed the space around the foundation to put in the lag screws  - that's the area we need to backfill.

Yes, you said that above, I was just wondering where you are going to get that extra dirt to backfill around that section of your GH or do you already have the dirt from when you guys dug it out when cutting into the hillside, when you added on that new section of the GH? I just thought you used that dirt for filling up your new grow boxes in the GH Undecided 
That is too bad they are still doing all that dusty digging next door, hopefully they are done for this year.
(11-18-2021, 06:11 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(11-18-2021, 03:54 PM)jjannie Wrote:

We also need backfill soil around the back/uphill sides of GH. 
Where are you going to get the dirt to backfill around the outside of the GH?
 we had to cut into the hillside to put on the addition, we also needed the space around the foundation to put in the lag screws  - that's the area we need to backfill.

Yes, you said that above, I was just wondering where you are going to get that extra dirt to backfill around that section of your GH or do you already have the dirt from when you guys dug it out when cutting into the hillside, when you added on that new section of the GH? I just thought you used that dirt for filling up your new grow boxes in the GH Undecided 
That is too bad they are still doing all that dusty digging next door, hopefully they are done for this year.
 Yes, some of dirt was from our leveling the area, but some we had was made up last year with our composting and enriched used potting soils that were saved in covered trash cans in the garage, along with some utelite. So now we have further enriched the all that soil with even more compost now that its in the beds. We water it using spare water collected from inside the house while waiting for hotter water to get things really 'cooking' and breaking down the leaves and straw that are mixed in so come spring we will till in the manure and have a really nice growing medium. 

No idea about next door. cant really tell what they are thinking/doing.  They did cut into the hillside pretty far for back yard so they'll need to some retaining of that hill eventually - maybe in the spring, who knows. Luckily he has not been working until 1 or 2 am like before, he's usually shut down by 10pm. They  also have tried to keep the road better cleared of all the mud and rocks that are eroding our black top, by running sweeper attachment on the bobcat - remember this is a private road, and our HOA has paid for it getting resurfaced just this summer, so maybe they were talked to about keeping cleared better - cause at times it's been really bad.