Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ringtail captured South of Twin Falls
[font="Yahoo Sans", YahooSans, "Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif][Image: 6a8e5a80-9c6b-11eb-bdb3-7bd99d92db70][/font]

This elusive animal was caught in South Idaho.

Hannah Ashton (Twin Falls) Times-News
Sat, January 22, 2022, 10:02 AM

One of Idaho’s most elusive animals was recently captured in Twin Falls.
In December, staff at the Amalgamated Sugar plant south of Twin Falls spotted a ringtail on the property.
This was the fifth confirmed ringtail sighting in the entire state, according to a YouTube video featuring Lyn Snoddy, regional wildlife biologist for Idaho Department of Fish and Game’s Magic Valley Region.
Ringtails are small carnivores with big ears, pointed noses, long ringed tails and distinct facial markings, according to Fish and Game.[/size]
“While a lot of people refer to them as ringtail cats, they’re actually not a cat at all,” Snoddy said. “They’re more closely related to raccoons and coatis.”
Fish and Game captured the mammal with a live trap in hopes of relocating it to a better habitat.
Before the animal was released, biologists collected DNA from a small tissue clip at the top of the ear and fitted the animal with a metal ear tag. It was released south of Twin Falls into an area with trees, shrubs, a creek and rock outcroppings, perfect for hunting and protection from predators.[/font][/size][/color]

I was not even aware these animals were in the north Western part of the US, especilly in Idaho

[Image: Ringtail.jpg]

[Image: range-of-the-ringtail.jpg]
I wasn't either until I saw that, pretty cool.
I made about the same post on the Utah hunting board and one member said he saw them on a hoseboat while he was a Lake Powell, that's crazy. they are that bold.
Yea, I read that, wouldn't think they'd come on the boat, really bold.