Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 10/21
I was able to fish with a couple of top notch fishermen and over all good guys from the forum last Thursday. We (kenofnsl and Obifishkenobi) left Salt Lake at 5:30AM and arrived to a very fogged in Strawberry around 7:15. Kent was our captain and even with the fog he put us on the 'X' motoring through the fog as if it wasn't even there. . We started to catch fish almost immediatley. We caught fish on the bottom but seemed to do a lot better using slip bobbers down between 4 to 12 feet using jigs baited with cut bait and worms. Shawn had the hot poles catching around 90 with Kent landing 67. I came in last with around 40 or so, I didn't keep track. I can't count over 10. Anyway thanks to Kent for using his boat. It was a fun trip and very nice meeting some fellow BFT guys. Thanks again guys it was nice meeting you both. Shawn I'm holding you to the offer for next years Kokanee trip. Smile I sent you a PM I have one of your gloves.
Any rainbows or all slotters
(10-24-2021, 01:03 AM)lovetofish Wrote: I was able to fish with a couple of top notch fishermen and over all good guys from the forum last Thursday. We (kenofnsl and Obifishkenobi) left Salt Lake at 5:30AM and arrived to a very fogged in Strawberry around 7:15. Kent was our captain and even with the fog he put us on the 'X' motoring through the fog as if it wasn't even there. . We started to catch fish almost immediatley. We caught fish on the bottom but seemed to do a lot better using slip bobbers down between 4 to 12 feet using jigs baited with cut bait and worms. Shawn had the hot poles catching around 90 with Kent landing 67. I came in last with around 40 or so, I didn't keep track. I can't count over 10. Anyway thanks to Kent for using his boat. It was a fun trip and very nice meeting some fellow BFT guys. Thanks again guys it was nice meeting you both. Shawn I'm holding you to the offer for next years Kokanee trip. Smile I sent you a PM I have one of your gloves.

I really enjoyed fishing with you guys, I learned a few things watching Kent, he is very good at what he does. I hadn't thought of fishing a tube under a slip bobber until I saw Kent immediately catch 2 that way. I set one of my rods up that way and caught 3 to 1 with the one under the bobber. I also learned that I should use my spot lock and stay put instead of drifting or slowly driving along the bank when fishing jigs. I have also spent way to much time in the past looking for fish stacked up on the graph, targeting the bottom and not enough time catching the fish up suspended in the water column. I caught 3 rainbows and we all caught several on the wrong side of the slot, Kent got the only slot buster of the day at 23". Pete you can return my glove when you join me for Kokanee fishing next season. Thanks Kent for a great day, I would like to join you for a lesson in Sturgeon fishing one of these days.
I had a fun time fishing with both of you guys and being the "gracious host" again. You are both welcome on my boat anytime.
Could you expound on the slip bobber rigging that your using. I typically just throw the white jig tipped with chub meet and then slowly jig / retrieve it back to me. We catch a lot but I am all for learning new techiniques to increase the catch.
Sounds like you guys really got into them. Nice work. We were up there this past friday and between 8 of us in the boat we landed 116 which for us is a epic trip.

Thanks.
(10-25-2021, 05:28 AM)DeadI Wrote: Could you expound on the slip bobber rigging that your using.  I typically just throw the white jig tipped with chub meet and then slowly jig / retrieve it back to me.  We catch a lot but I am all for learning new techiniques to increase the catch.
Sounds like you guys really got into them.  Nice work.    We were up there this past friday and between 8 of us in the boat we landed 116 which for us is a epic trip.

Thanks.

I don't think Kent will mind if I chime in here with a short PDF file I put together on slip bobbers.  This rig has been used for a lot of years by a lot of anglers all over the country for everything from fishing suspended walleyes to drifting gobs of roe for steelhead and salmon.

You can use almost any kind of bobber...as long as there is a hole for the line to slip through.  And if you are only fishing a few feet below the surface there is no need for the swivel setup.  You can simply let the bobber slide freely between your jig and the bobber stop.  But to prevent the bobber from bouncing off the fish...or getting wedged in its mouth...you can put a bead and a second bobber stop a foot or so above the jig.

Attached Files
.pdf   SLIP BOBBERS.pdf (Size: 314.36 KB / Downloads: 56)
(10-25-2021, 11:48 AM)TubeDude Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 05:28 AM)DeadI Wrote: Could you expound on the slip bobber rigging that your using.  I typically just throw the white jig tipped with chub meet and then slowly jig / retrieve it back to me.  We catch a lot but I am all for learning new techiniques to increase the catch.
Sounds like you guys really got into them.  Nice work.    We were up there this past friday and between 8 of us in the boat we landed 116 which for us is a epic trip.

Thanks.

I don't think Kent will mind if I chime in here with a short PDF file I put together on slip bobbers.  This rig has been used for a lot of years by a lot of anglers all over the country for everything from fishing suspended walleyes to drifting gobs of roe for steelhead and salmon.

You can use almost any kind of bobber...as long as there is a hole for the line to slip through.  And if you are only fishing a few feet below the surface there is no need for the swivel setup.  You can simply let the bobber slide freely between your jig and the bobber stop.  But to prevent the bobber from bouncing off the fish...or getting wedged in its mouth...you can put a bead and a second bobber stop a foot or so above the jig.

Thanks Pat for your response, I have caught a lot of steelhead, salmon, catfish, and bass under a slip bobber set up, it allows you to quickly adjust your depth. On Thursday I started about 4' under the bobber and progressed deeper as the light came up and the fog lifted to 12' under the bobber by sliding the knot up the line. I prefer the Knot style stop and use a small split shot above my jig instead of a swivel, also when I need to cast long distances, like when steelhead or salmon fishing from the bank drift fishing, I will add a corky between the hard bead and the bobber which indicates that my gear is not tangled and set up properly from a distance, at the berry I didn't need it as I was fishing close enough that I could see my knot come to rest on the the top of my bobber.
Pat thoroughly explained the rigging of a slip bobber. I have tried just about every bobber stop that is out there and I am still searching for the perfect bobber stop:

I like the pretied thread design, but I have had a problem with the knot coming untied after several casts.

The rubber stop works great, but when fishing with a rod, that the eye on the rod tip is smaller, the rubber stop catches on the rod tip when casting.

The one I use most frequently is the flat strip with holes drilled in them. I have found them with from two to four holes drilled in the plastic strip. Two holes don't work at all and three sort of works. Four holes works the best. The problem with these the plastic strips often break apart after several casts.

At Strawberry, this time of year, the first thing in the morning the jig only needs to be a foot, or so, under the bobber. I often see fish attacking the bobber. When I see this, if my jig is a little deeper, I will give my rod a jerk to get my jig up where the fish, attacking the bobber, can see it. As the day progresses I drop the jig down deeper [as far as ~12' down this time of year and even deeper when the water is warmer (although I rarely use a bobber, at Strawberry, anytime other than in the fall)].

A slip bobber also works great when fishing for catfish.
(10-25-2021, 02:09 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Pat thoroughly explained the rigging of a slip bobber.  I have tried just about every bobber stop that is out there and I am still searching for the perfect bobber stop: 

I like the pretied  thread design, but I have had a problem with the knot coming untied after several casts. 

The rubber stop works great, but when fishing with a rod, that the eye on the rod tip is smaller, the rubber stop catches on the rod tip when casting. 

The one I use most frequently is the flat strip with holes drilled in them.  I have found them with from two to four holes drilled in the plastic strip.  Two holes don't work at all and three sort of works.  Four holes works the best.  The problem with these the plastic strips often break apart after several casts.

At Strawberry, this time of year, the first thing in the morning the jig only needs to be a foot, or so, under the bobber.  I often see fish attacking the bobber.  When I see this, if my jig is a little deeper, I will give my rod a jerk to get my jig up where the fish, attacking the bobber, can see it.  As the day progresses I drop the jig down deeper [as far as ~12' down this time of year and even deeper when the water is warmer (although I rarely use a bobber, at Strawberry, anytime other than in the fall)].

I have also been frustrated by having to tie a working knot on my line for a bobber stop...when I did not have any of the little plastic ones.  Here is a diagram of a knot that works pretty well with almost any kind of string or line.  It makes a knot big enough to catch the bead and stop the bobber, but runs cleanly through the guides.  If you plan to use it once in a while, it can pay to carry a small spool of brightly colored string or line with which to tie those knots.
[Image: STOP-KNOT.jpg]

(10-25-2021, 02:23 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(10-25-2021, 02:09 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Pat thoroughly explained the rigging of a slip bobber.  I have tried just about every bobber stop that is out there and I am still searching for the perfect bobber stop: 

I like the pretied  thread design, but I have had a problem with the knot coming untied after several casts. 

The one I use most frequently is the flat strip with holes drilled in them.  I have found them with from two to four holes drilled in the plastic strip.  Two holes don't work at all and three sort of works.  Four holes works the best.  The problem with these the plastic strips often break apart after several casts.

At Strawberry, this time of year, the first thing in the morning the jig only needs to be a foot, or so, under the bobber.  I often see fish attacking the bobber.  When I see this, if my jig is a little deeper, I will give my rod a jerk to get my jig up where the fish, attacking the bobber, can see it.  As the day progresses I drop the jig down deeper [as far as ~12' down this time of year and even deeper when the water is warmer (although I rarely use a bobber, at Strawberry, anytime other than in the fall)].

I have also been frustrated by having to tie a working knot on my line for a bobber stop...when I did not have any of the little plastic ones.  Here is a diagram of a knot that works pretty well with almost any kind of string or line.  It makes a knot big enough to catch the bead and stop the bobber, but runs cleanly through the guides.  If you plan to use it once in a while, it can pay to carry a small spool of brightly colored string or line with which to tie those knots.
[Image: STOP-KNOT.jpg]

That is the uni knot.  I use it all of the time and I don't know why I haven't tried it before, as a bobber stop, because it does slide through the guides with minimal resistance.  Thanks for the suggestion.
Thanks guys. I'll have to give it a try.
When we fished last Thurdsay. I noticed that if I used a jig that was over 1/8 oz my bobber would slowly sink so I had watch when I changed jigs. I need to buy some larger slip bobbers. I'll have to make a trip to Sportsman's because Fish Tech hardly had anything.
Kent,
THe best bobber stops I have found are the ones I make homemade.  You can crank out a couple of dozen in a just a few minutes.  I like to use the dacron line for making these stops.  I put them on small pieces of straw.  This is a link to a video that makes them just like I do.  The commercially tied ones only use about 2-3 loops and I like 5 loops.  
How to make a slip tie for a slip bobber - YouTube
Once you learn to slip rig, you will never use a bobber any other way.
I think every one of my rods has a couple of knots on the line somewhere.
(10-26-2021, 11:50 PM)BearLakeFishGuy Wrote: Kent,
THe best bobber stops I have found are the ones I make homemade.  You can crank out a couple of dozen in a just a few minutes.  I like to use the dacron line for making these stops.  I put them on small pieces of straw.  This is a link to a video that makes them just like I do.  The commercially tied ones only use about 2-3 loops and I like 5 loops.  
How to make a slip tie for a slip bobber - YouTube

Thanks Scott.