Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where Do You Get Boat Insurance?
I just changed insurance companies and the new one [USAA] doesn't offer boat coverage.
Where are some good options to contact for my 19.5 Aluminum Boat with 115 Horse Motor?
(12-01-2021, 01:37 AM)GrandpaD 2020 Wrote: I just changed insurance companies and the new one [USAA] doesn't offer boat coverage.
Where are some good options to contact for my 19.5 Aluminum Boat with 115 Horse Motor?

It really depends on how much coverage you get but I have my boat insurance with allstate and pay around $100 per year.
State Farm, I have been with them for over 40yrs
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I'm with USAA also, and when I bought my boat, USAA sent me to Progressive. Mine is $139/yr and includes roadside assistance and more.
mines not worth enough to pay for a separate policy so we put a cheap ryder on the met life homeowners policy
or so the one who wears the pants so i can wear gortex bibs and waders tells me
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
Progressive also.  Full replacement of boat and contents, coverage to pay for recovery if boat is sunk (that can cost more than the boat is worth depending on location) and roadside assistance,  $126.00 per year.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I had mine through Progressive but Flo bugs the hell out of me so I changed to farmers. Then too, George Soros owns Progressive and I don't want any of my money going his way. Changed to Farmers, same cost, feel better.
State Farm.
I've been with BoatUS for years.  They used to have the coverage but they recently turned it over go Geico.

Although I've never made a claim, they've always been reasonable in price and good to correspond with.  Also, being a BoatUS member is cheap and you get a decent magazine from them.
Another shill for State Farm.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks everyone for your help.
Now I have a few choices to get quotes from.
(12-01-2021, 01:37 AM)GrandpaD 2020 Wrote: I just changed insurance companies and the new one [USAA] doesn't offer boat coverage.

Progressive for $100. Bass boat w/125HP outboard
I use Progressive. $111.00/year. Complete coverage of boat/trailer/contents.
(12-01-2021, 05:42 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: I had mine through Progressive but Flo bugs the hell out of me so I changed to farmers. Then too, George Soros owns Progressive and I don't want any of my money going his way. Changed to Farmers, same cost, feel better.

AMEN
I used to process a lot of claims through various insurance companies for boats and for what it’s worth, here’s my two cents.

Avoid Progressive. They’re cheap, but they train their adjusters to not pay what’s due. Be sure you have a policy that doesn’t depreciate the boat/motor as part of the repair. A $3,000 repair for damage can easily cost you $2000 out of pocket. Sure, you may be paying a little bit yearly, but in the end, it’ll cost you.

State Farm and Allstate are great, as long as you have the right policy. The same goes for BoatUS. Tow benefits with BoatUS are great.

Of all insurance companies I processed claims for, Progressive was by far the most difficult to work with and get paid.

Just remember, you get what you pay for (in general)!
I had to call in sick so I could go to Lake Powell!
What is the difference in yearly premiums?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(02-03-2022, 08:02 PM)catchinon Wrote: What is the difference in yearly premiums?

It's about the same depending on the add on features. I have basic coverage and it cost me around $100 a year last year, not sure if that will change this year but I have allstate.
What all is usually covered with boat insurance?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(02-03-2022, 09:07 PM)catchinon Wrote: What all is usually covered with boat insurance?
I sure can't answer that, you would need to talk to an agent. I just know I got basic coverage. From what BLFG has said, he pays a little extra for the gear in his boat, in case it is stolen. By law you need basic coverage on any boat 50 hp and over, operated in Utah.

edited
Here are the requirements for Utah. Have to have insurance on your boat if there is a 50HP or larger motor on the boat. Motors less than 50HP are exempt from the insurance requirement.
[Image: Screenshot-20220203-153141.png]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.