Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lost my Best Buddy :(
I know this is off topic, but, this site, the members are like family so forgive me on this post. Every day we wake up, we dont have a clue what the day is going to bring any of us. Yesterday was one of those days. Last night, I lost my youngest lab to Laryngeal Paralysis. Please look it up guys especially if you own a lab, labs are at the top for getting this and it is a brutal disease for your dogs if they get it. I watched Bumper, my lab and family member, slowly die in the back seat of my truck as my wife and I were making a mad dash to the emergency vet clinic in Idaho Falls. I even put my oxygen on him to help but it didnt. Bumper passed as we pulled out of the driveway headed to town. So, in 2021, we have lost 2 of my wifes cats, 21 years old, our little family dog just 3 weeks ago Sad and now this. I dont know what we did wrong this year, but, it's sure taking a toll on my family and our kids. (meaning our animal kids). 

So, now having lost one of my hunting buddies on top of being told I had to stop waterfowl hunting if I wanted to live due to my pulmonary fibrosis, its been one hell of a year if I say so. If any of you have labs, please get them checked.  Labs are at the top of the list to get this disease and like I said, watching your best buddy pass due to it, you dont want to go through it. And yes, my vet and I had been treating him for it for about the last month with meds that really helped, but, yesterday, wasnt to be Sad.

Bumper is the lower lab that I lost on a good day Smile

[Image: 20161212-151200.jpg]
I love my dogs. I know that pain. Watching the Wookies hips slowly give away. I know that time is coming soon. 2 years ago my Beagle crawled on my lap, gave a howl, then died. Keep telling myself no more. But I just can't live without a dog by my side. To much joy watching them. 

My heart aches for ya
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Dam, sorry to hear about that, they become family.
So sorry for your losses. Prayers and thoughts.
So sorry Rick. I know how much dogs mean to us. They are family. When my last dog got cancer the only way I could think of to get through it was to buy a new puppy.
Thanks for your words everyone, it always means a lot when good folk like on here pony up some support for what you are going through no matter what it is. I still catch myself, and probably will for a while, going to feed my other lab I still have and I just call him the wrong name. I always called my younger labs name first then the older one I have so its just a habit I have to break as time moves on. Hope everyone is doing well, done eating turkey leftovers yet? And maybe catching a few on the side.

My buddy in Oregon went after Chinook yesterday on the Siletz River and managed one. But, it was a keeper.

[Image: imagejpeg-0-9.jpg]

[Image: imagejpeg-1.jpg]
One fish like that will make a trip.
Sorry for your loss, as Randy said, the only response I had after losing a dog, was to get a new pup. A new pup will always brighten your day with their funny puppy antics. There is no total replacement of an old friend but a new friend will sometimes help.
Not many problems that can't be solved by puppy breath
(12-03-2021, 02:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: One fish like that will make a trip.
Sorry for your loss, as Randy said, the only response I had after losing a dog, was to get a new pup. A new pup will always brighten your day with their funny puppy antics. There is no total replacement of an old friend but a new friend will sometimes help.

I dont disagree wiper, but, since I cant get out and do much of anything due to my health and as you know too with puppies, out the door with them to train them.  But, I cant hardly get myself to the bathroom on 2 canes or a walker let along trying to get a new pup up and out. I know it does help as Ive dont it before, but, I know the work it takes and I dont ever foresee myself getting a new buddy because of my health. I know that sounds funky, but, when it creeps up on ya and hits as hard as mine has in the last year, you put anything like that off your mind and not even on a bucket list. But, to many who are much younger and better health than I am in, YES in deed it does help a lot especially when you get tired of the whining and needing to take the pup out all night long, lol Smile.
That is understandable. Years ago, after I gave up hunting birds, we made the decision not to get any more dogs, after the last one left us. I missed them for many years but learned to move on. That being said, the last lab I owned I got when it was three years old and it was well trained. It was one of the best dogs I ever owned and I was Sad the day it left us but the point is, you can find well trained dogs that don't required you to do much, if you want another dog. I found this one on KSL but animal shelters have them too. Lots of reasons people give up their dogs but it's an option, if you want another one. If like me, it's time for you to move on, that is just a part of life and most of us understand that as well.
(12-04-2021, 02:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That is understandable. Years ago, after I gave up hunting birds, we made the decision not to get any more dogs, after the last one left us. I missed them for many years but learned to move on. That being said, the last lab I owned I got when it was three years old and it was well trained. It was one of the best dogs I ever owned and I was Sad the day it left us but the point is, you can find well trained dogs that don't required you to do much, if you want another dog. I found this one on KSL but animal shelters have them too. Lots of reasons people give up their dogs but it's an option, if you want another one. If like me, it's time for you to move on, that is just a part of life and most of us understand that as well.

We still have our older lab for a while, and I have to say, my older lab was a pound lab that is awesome, and my Bumper who I just lost, I found hit on south Yellowstone going through Shelley as a pup. My vet checked him out, he was fine and we found no one who claimed him. We have always been a pound dog lover if we can find a well tempered one. But, we have decided after loosing 4 family pets since March, and we still have 2 at home, to just ride this one out as I am not sure we can handle the loss of many more family members. Well trained or not, at our age, we just dont want to have to go through this much longer. Our mental state this year is in shreds from our loss of our pet family to both of our health conditions, so, I greatly appreciate all the thoughts and prayers from the entire BF family. Cant find any better who care for each and every one of our members. You are all great. This is what this forum is about, our family, fish, and good friends Smile and you all fit into each category, lol. Be safe and watch that ice at Henry's, lol.