Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which ice cleats?
The slip-on ice cleats I have fit horribly on my snow-pac boots. I'm done with that style unless I can find some XXLs. I have average-size feet but my boots apparently run from XXL on up to ridiculously huge exteme-weather pacs. I have looked online at Korkers on Dubob's suggestion but am not sure which model would be best. I also was impressed with the STABLicer line. Does anyone have experience with these or other quality cleats? Any advice would appreciated.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-07-2021, 02:35 PM)catchinon Wrote: The slip-on ice cleats I have fit horribly on my snow-pac boots. I'm done with that style unless I can find some XXLs. I have average-size feet but my boots apparently run from XXL on up to ridiculously huge exteme-weather pacs. I have looked online at Korkers on Dubob's suggestion but am not sure which model would be best. I also was impressed with the STABLicer line. Does anyone have experience with these or other quality cleats? Any advice would appreciated.
As you mentioned, I use the Korker Apex.  Amazon has them at $40 (free ship if PRIME) and Marine General has them at $40 plus shipping.  The STABLicer line is about $10 to $15 more.  Not sure if the STABLicer studs grip better than the Korker cleats.  My Korker Apex XXL's have never come off my Size 11N Military Micky Mouse boots during actual use. I have not slipped and fallen while using the Korker's either.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(12-07-2021, 02:35 PM)catchinon Wrote: The slip-on ice cleats I have fit horribly on my snow-pac boots. I'm done with that style unless I can find some XXLs. I have average-size feet but my boots apparently run from XXL on up to ridiculously huge exteme-weather pacs. I have looked online at Korkers on Dubob's suggestion but am not sure which model would be best. I also was impressed with the STABLicer line. Does anyone have experience with these or other quality cleats? Any advice would appreciated.

We use the Stablicer cleats. Got them on sale bought one pair liked them so well we bought 2 more - one of them for ice fishing one for boots we wear down our drive to get collect our mail and taking the trash to curbside. After several dances and falls of going down the driveway - they are so worth having. We love them!
After watching Dubob negotiate the slick ice at Trial Lake two years ago with his Korker Apexes (still not sure how I lost one cleat that day - had to walk like half a penguin to get off the ice...), I went and bought a pair and absolutely love them!  I really like that 1) they stay on no matter what and 2) they have really good heel coverage.  I've used a lot of others over the years, including the basic big box store cheap pairs and Yaktrax.  The Korkers really hold up and I would buy again.

jack of all tackle, master of none
I bought a set of the chain and spike type, but I see they are Chinese knock offs called shark mouth, they look great, but I hardly ever use them and always go back to my yaktrak's because they are so easy on and off. I have had problems with my first set of yaks when I was hiking up out of Porcupine when the water was really low, they kept sliding off that day and I found some of the rubber had broken, but for most of my on lake flat stuff I really like the yak's, but I also just use them when things are really slick and I take them off as soon as I get back on snow where they aren't needed anymore... I also have size 9 feet so maybe that is why they work okay for me... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I run the kahtoola micro spikes. They were the only one's at the time that would fit over a size 13 bunny boot.
After looking at those Korkers I think I may be in the market for a new set... Thanks J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
The ones with straps around the ankles and insteps are about $70 but should be extra secure and can fit various size boots. Same for the STABILicers. The Korkers Apex is a slip on that "only" costs $40. I plan to check them out with joatmon and/or Dubob and see if they will work for me. But I covet the ones with the velcro straps.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I just learned that Scheels in Sandy has a large selection of the cleats we've been discussing. They assured me that I could try them on my boots before I buy.

So what modelof the Stablicer cleats do you have?  Is the the "walk" model or the Maxx model?  Maybe another model?  The "springs" on the bottom look like they may slip on plain ice?  Have you had this issue?  I was leaning for a "studded" model but I'm open to suggestions.