Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
21,22 Ice Challenge, DailyAngler
Scofield Cutthroat 15.5"

[Image: 1217210908a.jpg]

Scofield Rainbow 14"
[Image: 1217211002-HDR.jpg]
Great start, congrats on some nice early fish... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Great start!

Cutthroat trout - 15.5
Rainbow trout - 13.5 (I see close to 14" but not quite)
Thank you guys, felt great to get back on the ice again. I'm sure those couple fish will be quickly beat. I think I'm going for another winter tent camping and ice fishing trip next month any suggestions where to go?
I’ll bet the gorge or Henry’s or Cascade would be fun spots for your trip. If the ice gets safe. Makes ya wonder this year. Good luck. Jeff
When people say "Henry's" is that henry's fork on the north slope of uintahs? Google wants to send me to another state.
Henry’s Lake just outside of west Yellowstone.

[Image: E6-FC89-BC-432-F-4-E9-E-A2-EC-EC9-F384-E9-CEC.jpg]
Oh nice cutt. Thanks for clarity. So does the gorge have ice somewhere I can camp right on the shore at this point? Ive been a few times in the summer, not that familiar.
(12-27-2021, 09:37 PM)DailyAngler Wrote: Oh nice cutt. Thanks for clarity. So does the gorge have ice somewhere I can camp right on the shore at this point? Ive been a few times in the summer, not that familiar.

No intended hijacking of your post, but Firehole on the east side of Flaming Gorge is supposed to have safe ice (4+ inches, but check it) and there is a campground right there.  We have spent the night on the ice there a few times, but usually in January and February.

[Image: Firehole-at-Flaming-Gorge.jpg]

[Image: Green-River-to-Firehole-at-Flaming-Gorge.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Hmm, thats awsome. Thanks so much for the info
Rumors are that the ice is pressing further south and has been seen towards the confluence, but last I heard, it was still unsafe at that point... 2" last I heard, but it's been 3 or 4 days, so nothing fresh for status... Hopefully if it gets as cold as predicted, you may see ice safe to the confluence before too long... Later Jeff
On recreation.gov it says that firehole canyon campground is closed until may.  Hmm rethinking that plan.
(12-30-2021, 06:55 PM)DailyAngler Wrote: On recreation.gov it says that firehole canyon campground is closed until may.  Hmm rethinking that plan.

I suspect that is "formal" camping with a host, water on, etc.  You should be able to primitive camp around there anywhere.  There are open restrooms by the ramp and over by swim beach.

jack of all tackle, master of none
Yah that makes sense. That is what the wyoming fish and game person thought.
Flaming gorge 1/3/22
Burbot 22"

[Image: 0103222350.jpg]
Not sure you can see the yardstick, it was dark night. New moon. Here is one at home later

[Image: 0105221659.jpg]

Thanks for the firehole canyon suggestion. Beautiful. For the record the campground is closed with a gate. Lots of good primitive camping though. Next time for me will be on the ice, make so much more sense, a little more prep for that. If any other suggestions to go with my side by side ice camping I want to hear.

P.S. one of those small ones is my first ever burbot
Great to see you made it to the Gorge and got into some burbs!

Burbot - 21.5
Thanks! Will likely go again soon, maybe sage creek.
Flaming gorge 1/19
Burbot 23" (bump)

[Image: 0120222121.jpg]
Burbot - 23
Flaming gorge 1/19
Crayfish 4" 

[Image: 0119222303a.jpg]

Haha. Mostly posting for fun... That little mudbug clamped onto my rat finkee with minnow head and set off the jaw jacker, held on and I landed him.