Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Navionics discrepancies
I wonder if you have found the Navionics topo maps accurate. 
I intend to buy the app this year but am not sure the online maps are accurate. 
I have covered willard pretty good but not happy with them. I have also looked at jordanelle and deer creek. And do not see the same on my Garmin finder.  I looked at starvation one day and was happy with the online map it matched my finder good.
What's your experience?
(12-24-2021, 01:17 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: I wonder if you have found the Navionics topo maps accurate. 
I intend to buy the app this year but am not sure the online maps are accurate. 
I have covered willard pretty good but not happy with them. I have also looked at jordanelle and deer creek. And do not see the same on my Garmin finder.  I looked at starvation one day and was happy with the online map it matched my finder good.
What's your experience?
I use the phone app for ice fishing only and it has been money well spent is my experience. Most of the reservoirs I ice fish on have contour maps that consistently put me on perch. There are better apps for hunting activities, and I would use them if I still big game hunted. For soft water fishing, I wouldn't be without my Lowrance with the Navionics chip installed. I have no problems with the Navionics phone app and will gladly pay the annual $15 fee to use it.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
my Garmin fish finder will not take a  Navionics Map card and Garmin owns  Navionics
I have 3 maps on my boat Garmin maps, Lake master and Navionics.
fishing for lake trout at flaming gorge the Navionics is best, 
but all of them are off some.
to get a real good map you need to make it your self.
Thank you for your input. Which ever you use the more you use it really helps you understand and learn.
It genuinely helps if you can accurately enter the "offset" for the current lake elevation. My last trip to Starvie showed that. I used the last reported lake level in feet, and entered that into my two Humminbird Helix units. It turned out that the last report was off by a couple of feet because the lake was still dropping. After I adjusted that, all the bottom contours meshed very closely with what I was actually seeing.

Safety as well as fishing success resulted. There were several areas where one could blithely zip across at normal lake levels, but were dangerously shallow then. Those areas showed as "Danger Red" on my corrected and adjusted maps.
Can it be used on land for gps hiking locations?
Only if you are hiking on what used to be lake bottom before the Great Drought.

For land nav, you need land topo maps, common on many handheld GPS units. The chips in question are made for fish finders.
(12-28-2021, 12:48 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Only if you are hiking on what used to be lake bottom before the Great Drought.

For land nav, you need land topo maps, common on many handheld GPS units. The chips in question are made for fish finders.

Thanks yes there are good gps hiking apps.