Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Porcupine
Ran up to do another check this am, ice that was near the dam is gone but still some ice up at the back end of the lake. Road up to the dam was plowed last week so it just has the recent 3-4”s of snow and some drifts from the wind the past couple of days. Didn’t head in past the top of the dam with the total snow depth on the ground and didn’t feel like chaining up or having to do any digging. It will be awhile before any ice fishing here, there was 1 guy throwing lures on the face of the dam. 

[Image: C0-B58-C5-C-DB71-4-F66-B543-8-B71677-FC994.jpg]
Thanks for the update Alan, I've been thinking about that place but I guess it will be after the first of the year before I even think about it again. Any guess on the depth of the snow where it hasn't been plowed?
(12-27-2021, 05:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the update Alan, I've been thinking about that place but I guess it will be after the first of the year before I even think about it again. Any guess on the depth of the snow where it hasn't been plowed?

I didn’t venture up the road past the dam at all, down where we park and unload the ATV’s and sleds there was probably 12-14”s in the open areas along the creek. The road in to the back has the southern exposure so unless the wind is creating drifts I suspect it has a lot less
Thanks, sounds like it might be too deep for an ATV, especially if we keep getting more snow.
If these next two storms do what they say, it may be back to snowmobile country, but as crazy as the weather has been this year, it might just melt off again... Not unusual for Porcupine to not be iced up yet, but it is a little unusual that Hyrum is still open... Makes for a short ice season when we don't get started until in to January... I hope things get going soon.. Thanks Alan for your report, sure helps to save us a drive by... Thank you... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-29-2021, 03:24 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: If these next two storms do what they say, it may be back to snowmobile country, but as crazy as the weather has been this year, it might just melt off again...  Not unusual for Porcupine to not be iced up yet, but it is a little unusual that Hyrum is still open... Makes for a short ice season when we don't get started until in to January... I hope things get going soon.. Thanks Alan for your report, sure helps to save us a drive by... Thank you... Later Jeff

Saw a post and pictures this evening of Hyrum having a lot of ice, if the wind stays away we could be in business soon, I’ll probably drive over tomorrow and see
Wow, it's really cold already tonight, so this might be the night that locks it up... I'm sleeping with my fingers crossed tonight.. Thanks for the update Alan... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
If it doesn't cap tonight I'm hoping by this weekend it will. It's one of the places I spend most of my time so the waits killing me haha.
(12-29-2021, 06:03 AM)DjHill16 Wrote: If it doesn't cap tonight I'm hoping by this weekend it will. It's one of the places I spend most of my time so the waits killing me haha.

Pretty much covered this am, cove on the south side looks open. Road up to dam was plowed today and getting to the back looks like it is doable, defiantly on an atv 

[Image: 346943-E9-95-FB-4844-A858-6-BDCF9-C7-B58-B.jpg]

Hyrum is pretty much capped except over by the inlet

[Image: 96-ED6-C28-93-A1-441-C-A966-87-BA6-DA941-E2.jpg]
Thanks for the update Alan.
Ya thank you. I'm gonna cruise up there this weekend and check thicknesses.
(12-29-2021, 06:03 AM)DjHill16 Wrote: If it doesn't cap tonight I'm hoping by this weekend it will. It's one of the places I spend most of my time so the waits killing me haha.

Do you catch a lot of browns and kokes there?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-30-2021, 02:17 AM)catchinon Wrote:

Don't focus on the kokes very much, but put a lot of focus on the browns. Catch five or six a trip. Got into the cuts a bit last year
(12-30-2021, 02:43 AM)DjHill16 Wrote:
(12-30-2021, 02:17 AM)catchinon Wrote:

Don't focus on the kokes very much, but put a lot of focus on the browns. Catch five or six a trip. Got into the cuts a bit last year

Sounds like you and me need to be freinds lol i have been fishing it pretty hard the last 3 seasons some days i do ok and other not so good its good to hear some people have good luck there
Any new updates? Planning on going tomorrow
(01-01-2022, 12:53 AM)DjHill16 Wrote: Any new updates? Planning on going tomorrow

I haven’t been back up, lots of snow from the past 2 days so could be a challenge getting to the back with a vehicle. Did run over to Hyrum and it’s no where close, 1/2” of slush as far out as I could reach with spud bar at the ramp, some of the thin ice up by the swim beach has gone away, suspect the weight of the snow sunk it.
(01-01-2022, 02:28 PM)2knots Wrote:
(01-01-2022, 12:53 AM)DjHill16 Wrote: Any new updates? Planning on going tomorrow

I haven’t been back up, lots of snow from the past 2 days so could be a challenge getting to the back with a vehicle. Did run over to Hyrum and it’s no where close, 1/2” of slush as far out as I could reach with spud bar at the ramp, some of the thin ice up by the swim beach has gone away, suspect the weight of the snow sunk it.

I was afraid you would say that. How much snow did you get at your place Alan? Does the Pig ususally get more or about the same as your place?
(01-01-2022, 02:48 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-01-2022, 02:28 PM)2knots Wrote:

I was afraid you would say that. How much snow did you get at your place Alan? Does the Pig ususally get more or about the same as your place?

8-10”s for the 2 days, they get more, a lot of times the hills are getting hit and nothing falling here
I guess that should not surprise me but I did not think the Pig was that much higher in elevation at least at the base of the dam. Any idea on the evevation difference from your house and the dam?
(01-01-2022, 04:00 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I guess that should not surprise me but I did not think the Pig was that much higher in elevation at least at the base of the dam. Any idea on the evevation difference from your house and the dam?

Top of the dam is just over 600’ higher then here at the house, Saw DJ up there this am sounded like they were going to try and get to the upper end