Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry’s 12/6
I was one of the crazy people that decided to brave the roads on Sunday, I should have known it was a bad idea when I pulled over in Island park to relieve myself on the way up and had to dig myself out of a snow drift and then again when I dug someone else out a couple miles down the road. I got set up on 8” of ice at the hatchery the weather was nice on the lake light winds I set up my shelter and didn’t use it. I caught 11 in 4 hours and bagged it around noon when my wife called talking about road closures. At 12:30 I reached a long column of cars and trucks at the intersection of HW87 and HW20 where we all waited untill 8pm for the plows to clear snow drifts in the highway and let us through. I got back to my Mother in-laws in Idaho Falls at 10:30pm. The bite was really light, I got them all on my favorite white with red flake Gitzilla tipped with meal worm. No pictures, no Giants 2-3 pounders and 1 6” Brookie.
Nice, heard that side of the state had lots of roads closed.
That sounds like a tough day, especilly the 7.5 hour wait. As impatient as I am, I think I would have turned around and looked for a different route, lucky you did not run out of gas. At least you caught some fish, so the trip at least involved some tugs.
(12-30-2021, 02:12 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That sounds like a tough day, especilly the 7.5 hour wait. As impatient as I am, I think I would have turned around and looked for a different route, lucky you did not run out of gas. At least you caught some fish, so the trip at least involved some tugs.

The only other option was to turn north and go to West Yellow Stone that would be a long trip back to I 15 that way.
Yea, and I thought I saw it was closed from Duboise to Dillon.
Hey Shawn, we are looking at a trip on the weekend of the 14th. Is the lake pretty slushy with all the snow? Is it fluffy powder or getting to be some base to it so you could pull a flip over shelter with a snowmobile? Trying to decide how to gear up for the trip. Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-04-2022, 04:22 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Shawn, we are looking at a trip on the weekend of the 14th. Is the lake pretty slushy with all the snow?  Is it fluffy powder or getting to be some base to it so you could pull a flip over shelter with a snowmobile?  Trying to decide how to gear up for the trip. Thanks Jeff
Jeff,
I have not been there for over a week now, but when I was there the ice was good with just a couple inches of slush and less than a foot of snow on top, but it has snowed a lot since then. You could check out some of the face book groups for a more current report. I'm going to be in your neck of the woods this Friday I'm thinking Porcupine and Hyrum.
Thanks Shawn, I'll see if I can get onto the Henry's FB page... Rumors have it that Hyrum will be fishable by Friday, I seen there were a couple guys on it today, (DamCam) but I haven't heard how thick the ice is.. They usually like to fish it thinner than I dare do it, so I'd think by Friday, with some more cold, we should be getting there... One word of caution, it looked like the ice formed over several weeks, so there are areas that will be safe and other areas that may only be a couple days thick. I seen open water on the camera yesterday, now it's froze with snow on top, so I think there will be a few tiger traps waiting out there this year... Check closely as you go so you don't find one of those thin areas... (I think the west end by the ramp may be a little more consistent for thickness, but that is just from watching the camera no on ice experience yet.) I'm going to take off tomorrow, so I'll probably have to work Friday, but if I get a chance to take off I'll get in touch and maybe we can share some ice... Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!