Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Braided lines
I haven't tried any braids yet the closest I've come was spider wire fusion same material just not braided my problem with the braids is I heard that they cut the guides pretty good and wear a knotch in them is this true has anyone had this problem so far I've been using Mono or copolymers with a flourocarbon leader for salt and no leader in fresh when I used the fusion line I did get a knotch in the tip
[signature]
Hutch, I've heard the same thing. You might want to check into some of the newer braids though. Some of them claim to have been fused with other materials making them smooth and round(er) to prevent them from cutting into the guides. If I could remember which ones, I'd tell ya.
[signature]
I fish alot of rivers, and the fusion and the fireline didn't perform the way I expected. The fusion did put a knotch in the tip, but it wasn't that bad. After awhile in current the fusion seemed like it unraveled. It was like a thin piece of plastic after awhile. Goofy stuff.

The fireline kept crossing over itself in my spinning reel, which got to be a hassel. And it seemed like you were ripping the fishes lips off when you lightly set the hook. I couldn't get used to it. It's a great line for some folks. But, not for me.

I use the gorilla braid line on one of my tipups, and it's great. But I've never tried it on a spinning reel..lol.
[signature]
I've tried almost all of the braids and haven't had that problem. I guess it depends all on what quality your rod guides are. I've been using Spiderwire Stealth for the past year now and so far that's the best that I have found. I'm still want to try out the Stren Braid. Anybody try that?
[signature]

Hey there Hutch00,

I've used about all the braids including our own 'Spectra' for big-time tuna fishing So Cal and Baja/Mexico.

I use nothing but conventional/round baitcasters so I don't know about the spinning reel deal.

Fireline, Spiderwire, PowerPro work pretty good for me. A lot of my fishing is vertical or near vertical ocean fishing! No problems.

JapanRon
[signature]
Baitcast reels do handle braided lines much better than spinning reels but you can get away with it. I haven't had any problems with my guides, yet. Maybe Lonehunter's trick of using carwax on the inside of the guides will help prevent the damage to the guides.
[signature]
there are rods that have enylon and ceramic eyes. both should be long lived...

there is also a lubricant availanle for braided lines. you apply it to your spool it seeps through and helps prevent eyelett stress.
[signature]