Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sled repairs
I punched a 1/2" x 1.5" hole in my sled while pulling it on a duck hunt yesterday.  I would really like to waterproof it for the ice season.  Anyone have experience with something that would fix this?  Thanks in advance!
(01-13-2022, 03:51 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: I punched a 1/2" x 1.5" hole in my sled while pulling it on a duck hunt yesterday.  I would really like to waterproof it for the ice season.  Anyone have experience with something that would fix this?  Thanks in advance!

This is what I did.  This is an excerpt from one of my previous posts.

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]"1st project, attempt to fix the holes in the bottom of my large sled. It was the 1st one I ever bought and I used it hard on the ice and in the marsh.  I drug it over way too many things I shouldn't and had made it unusable in the marsh and less than ideal for ice fishing.  I bought another smaller sled a few years ago, but still kept the other one around.  I had attempted to fix it several times with bondo, but it would ultimately fail and begin leaking.  Flex seal didn't work either.  I read that you can try melting a plastic hanger and filling the holes.  So I got out my torch, cut a hanger into the appropriate size pieces, and started melting them in to place over the holes.  It took a few tries, but ultimately got them all filled, including a big 3x4" hole.  The plastic really adhered to the sled and I think it is going to hold.  I guess we'll see when I take it out, but I am really optimistic."[/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]I laid several pieces of the hanger next to each other over the hole and started melting them.  They melted together and also adhered to the sled.  The finished product isn't glamorous, but it filled the hole and as an update, my sled no longer leaks.  Good luck.[/font]
(01-13-2022, 03:51 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: I punched a 1/2" x 1.5" hole in my sled while pulling it on a duck hunt yesterday.  I would really like to waterproof it for the ice season.  Anyone have experience with something that would fix this?  Thanks in advance!

I got a plastic welding set from the cheap tool store and repaired mine. It turned out pretty good and it is water tight.¹
go to the DI and get a pair of ski's , use the binding screws allready supplied to put the ski's on the bottom of the sled, might have to get some fender washers, cut the tail end off the ski's to the desired length, wear the ski's not the plastic out,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Thanks for the replies guys! I appreciate the insight. When I get around to the fix, I'll come back and update this with results. Thanks again!

Go to Harbor freight.  They sell a pretty cheap plastic weld kit.  I just repaired a .50c piece sized hole and 3" crack on the bottom of my Frabil pullover sled. The hot iron will be easier to use than a torch.  I've tried both and much prefer the iron.  I found a YouTube video some time back that showed this process when I was thinking of how to repair mine. Do a search and I'm sure you can find it or one like it.