Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Addiction Tournament
Ok, I know a lot on this site don’t do or agree with ice fishing tournaments, so don’t go scorched earth on me for posting this up. I’m posting notice of this for those who like, or would like to try tournaments. It is a great one for beginners. In my opinion this is the most well put on ice fishing event our state has to offer. I have gotten to know the guys that run this, and they are a solid group that genuinely love the sport and promoting it. I’ve fished in a number of these and can probably answer any questions anyone may have. The format is definitely unique to our area, but it is my favorite. This prize list is incredible. They pay out 30 spots ranging from $7,500 cash to the lowest amount at around $250 value. I have tried to attach a flier, but I have trouble posting attachments here. If the attachment doesn’t work… there are 2 tournaments in Utah. Rockport on 1/22 and Steinaker on 2/5. There are also 2 more in Colorado. You can register by going to Tightline Outdoors website.

Attached Files
.pdf   2022_ICE_ADDCTN_FLYR_ALL.pdf (Size: 5.61 MB / Downloads: 43)
Tell me more about how this works? Do they drill a grid and you get assigned a hole to fish, or is this one that you pick your own spots? Can you use electronics and your gear, or are you limited in what you can take on the ice? Thanks just curious how it works.. Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
They predrill the holes the night before, depending what group you are aka when you bought your ticket, depends on when you can go out on the ice to pick your hole. You can use you electronics but don't bother bringing a shelter and if your catching fish expect 1000 people to ask what your using and move as close as they can.... ive done it I think 4 times now and probably won't ever sign up again and go somewhere else the day of the contest!
(01-13-2022, 01:27 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Tell me more about how this works?  Do they drill a grid and you get assigned a hole to fish, or is this one that you pick your own spots?  Can you use electronics and your gear, or are you limited in what you can take on the ice?  Thanks just curious how it works.. Thanks Jeff

I've been talking to Macman for the last few years about this and from what he has told me, the earler you get there  the better your selection of holes, the later you get there the worse, depending on how you look at it. I don't want to give away any of his secrets, so you might have to PM him and to how he picks his holes but he and his son seem to do pretty good in most years. They do drill a grid but it's first come first served, unless they have changed it since last year.
(01-13-2022, 02:12 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-13-2022, 01:27 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Tell me more about how this works?  Do they drill a grid and you get assigned a hole to fish, or is this one that you pick your own spots?  Can you use electronics and your gear, or are you limited in what you can take on the ice?  Thanks just curious how it works.. Thanks Jeff

I've been talking to Macman for the last few years about this and from what he has told me, the earler you get there  the better your selection of holes, the later you get there the worse, depending on how you look at it. I don't want to give away any of his secrets, so you might have to PM him and to how he picks his holes but he and his son seem to do pretty good in most years. They do drill a grid but it's first come first served, unless they have changed it since last year.
Yes, the grid is pre drilled with far more holes than they have registered. You can move to open holes all you want. You enter the grid based on the assigned group you have at registration, which is determined by registration order. I think they are in group C right now. I’m not sure how many are in a group- guessing somewhere between 50-100. The holes are spaced around 25’ apart. When I helped drill, we punched 1600 holes. There were plenty to choose from. No tents are allowed, but electronics are ok and in my opinion necessary. Cheating would be nearly impossible in this format. If you are able to catch a trout at Rockport, you’ll likely finish in the money. At Steinaker last year, I got 21 in the four hour tourney. You had to be selective on what you weighed. The strategy will vary from lake to lake. 

WH is correct. We have done really well in this. I think my group have placed in 7/8 that we have fished in. I don’t think we really have a secret. It’s trout…all of us can catch a trout. We always prefish. You aren’t going to see a bunch of fish in the 4 hours, but if you know the pattern you have a distinct advantage when and if a fish shows up. If you already know the lake, it probably isn’t necessary. Paying attention every second is probably the most important thing. These fish are freaked out from the drilling and commotion. You aren’t going to get a bunch of chances to make up for missed opportunities. Take everything you have learned from those beautiful sunny warm days where your the only soul on the ice and go win $7,500 bucks. Location in the grid isn’t as important as you may think. I’ve seen a bunch of fish measured from every spot in the grid.
This sounds pretty interesting, might have to try it.
Thanks for the info on how it works. Does sound kind of fun. But the way my luck is going this year I think I better not try. Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I just registered.  How are you moving your catch from your hole to the weigh in and back and keeping it alive and healthy, bag of water?
(01-16-2022, 11:28 PM)DailyAngler Wrote: I just registered.  How are you moving your catch from your hole to the weigh in and back and keeping it alive and healthy, bag of water?

They have given out buckets in the past, and I’ll usually always have one anyways.  Just before 8:00 I use my scoop to ladle a gallon or so of water into a bucket. When I catch one, I throw it in that bucket and head in to have it weighed. They have those hand held shopping baskets in a cattle trough that is filled with aerated lake water, that you can put your fish in. They handle it from there. It needs to swim off to count, so head in when you catch it. Don’t let it die. After fishing the Rockport tournament yesterday, if you do get a fish- you’ll likely place. Don’t let it die. I’ve seen people just carry the fish in, but if there’s a lot caught it will probably freeze if there’s a line. The bucket works good. That’s how I do it, but a bag filled with water would work too.

(01-16-2022, 11:28 PM)DailyAngler Wrote: I just registered.  How are you moving your catch from your hole to the weigh in and back and keeping it alive and healthy, bag of water?

I forgot to mention, it is a catch and release tournament (for conservation). They release the fish for you after they weigh it. They write your weight on the pass you have zip tied to your jacket, like a ski pass. These guys have thought of everything to eliminate cheating.
You can use electronics while fishing?
(01-17-2022, 01:02 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: You can use electronics while fishing?

Yes, and before. You can walk around and check unoccupied holes for depth and fish. No rule against that.
Ok, cool, I'm really considering giving it a try, provided the weather's good.
(01-17-2022, 01:27 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Ok, cool, I'm really considering giving it a try, provided the weather's good.

If you do, dress warm and take a heater. Even tho you can’t use a tent, a heater is nice to have while you wait. I even bring a burner and kettle to make coffee and hot chocolate. The wait to start can be one of the coolest experience’s I’ve had. The national anthem while the sun rises is pretty dang awesome!
I guess that means they let you leave all your gear camped at your hole while you run to weigh a fish? Without a line in the water of course.
(01-17-2022, 01:36 AM)DailyAngler Wrote: I guess that means they let you leave all your gear camped at your hole while you run to weigh a fish? Without a line in the water of course.

Yes, leave your stuff at your hole. If you take it, your hole is then unoccupied and available for someone else to snag.
Are there blue gill in there, or is it just perch, can I weigh in perch? The flyer says blue gill, but didn't see where there are any in there. They have 50/50 or other extra stuff to enter, weather is looking good, so I'm probably gonna make the drive, just wondering what all to expect, they do prizes afterwards, just wondering if I need to stay 2 nights.
(01-18-2022, 12:03 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Are there blue gill in there, or is it just perch, can I weigh in perch? The flyer says blue gill, but didn't see where there are any in there. They have 50/50 or other extra stuff to enter, weather is looking good, so I'm probably gonna make the drive, just wondering what all to expect, they do prizes afterwards, just wondering if I need to stay 2 nights.

Never heard of Blue gills in Rockport. You can weigh any fish you catch. A carp won at Echo last year. Dude took home like $10,000 with a carp. I actually think a perch might put you in the money. They do some raffle prizes, but the top 30 places is really where it’s at. They usually have a kids contest like cornhole or throwing a football the furthest at 10:00. The awards ceremony for the prizes is pretty quickly after the tournament ends. Whole thing is wrapped up around 1:30. This is really a spectacle. You don’t need to plan 2 days unless you pre fish, which is totally worth it if you can swing it.
Oh cool, sounds like a great time, something different than what I'm used to, wish I could swing a pre fish day, but don't mind walking onto a new lake blind either. Thanks for all the info.
All registered, so I'll be heading that way Friday afternoon.
Is there a place around coalville to get maggots, or should I stop somewhere else and get them.