Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nils auger
Anyone had any luck with getting a Nils auger sharpened locally?
(01-14-2022, 03:41 AM)kentofnsl Wrote: Anyone had any luck with getting a Nils auger sharpened locally?

Ira claims there is a guy in Tremonton that can do it but you would have to ask him on where the guy is located there.
Ira found him on KSL. I have been texting the guy and he has sharpened 10+ Nils blades, with no issues. I will be running up, one evening soon, and get it sharpened while I wait.
(01-14-2022, 06:13 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Ira found him on KSL.  I have been texting the guy and he has sharpened 10+ Nils blades, with no issues.  I will be running up, one evening soon, and get it sharpened while I wait.

Would you mind sharing his info with me?  I have a nils head I'd like to get sharpened.  Feel free to send in a PM if you'd prefer.
(01-14-2022, 06:13 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Ira found him on KSL.  I have been texting the guy and he has sharpened 10+ Nils blades, with no issues.  I will be running up, one evening soon, and get it sharpened while I wait.

Not sure if Ira talked to you about this or not but he might want you to take his Nils up if you are going but I don't know that for a fact, I just know he needs to get his Nils sharpened.
(01-14-2022, 06:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Not sure if Ira talked to you about this or not but he might want you to take his Nils up if you are going but I don't know that for a fact, I just know he needs to get his Nils sharpened.

I've mentioned this before. It really is easy to sharpen them. Anybody that can sharpen a good knife can sharpen a Nils. Just make sure to keep the same angle on that top side all the way up the curve of the blade. I use a "Work Sharp" knife sharpening tool. It has 1 /2" grinding belts in 80, 220 and 6000 grit. But I am excited to get a new kit: the Moviron Knife Sharpening System. At $45, it comes with 10 stones 120 to 3000 grit. It looks like these stones are going to work great. And should last forever. I need to touch up my 8" but will wait to use these new stones.
(01-15-2022, 04:41 PM)fast_randy Wrote:

I've mentioned this before. It really is easy to sharpen them. Anybody that can sharpen a good knife can sharpen a Nils. Just make sure to keep the same angle on that top side all the way up the curve of the blade. I use a "Work Sharp" knife sharpening tool. It has 1 /2" grinding belts in 80, 220 and 6000 grit. But I am excited to get a new kit: the Moviron Knife Sharpening System. At $45, it comes with 10 stones 120 to 3000 grit. It looks like these stones are going to work great. And should last forever. I need to touch up my 8" but will wait to use these new stones.

I think most of us don't have the confidence you do Randy, that we could do it and not mess the blades up.
(01-15-2022, 06:04 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 04:41 PM)fast_randy Wrote:

I think most of us don't have the confidence you do Randy, that we could do it and not mess the blades up.
You guy's would not believe what I tried to do to my 8" when it first got too dull to drill. Around 12 years ago.  It still seemed sharp to me. So I thought that I had to have more angle on the blades. And I did everything I could, with 3 ft. Pipe wrenches and huge crescent wrenches to change the angle steeper, but couldn't budge them. There are all these pipe wrench, gouges and marks on it.I finally gave up and sent it away to get sharpened. When I got it back there was a note about how hammered it was. Lol! But this steel is so hard, you really can't hurt them. I know, I tried. 
A wide stone or diamond file won't work. It needs to be 3/4"  or thinner because of the curve of the blade. But it really is easy. You never touch the bottom, unless it is a rock chip that you have to file off. So it's twice as easy as sharpening a knife.
Is this the Moviron system you ordered?
https://www.amazon.com/MOVIRON-Professio...B08HMV12H6
(01-14-2022, 06:33 PM)jamon_negro Wrote:

Would you mind sharing his info with me?  I have a nils head I'd like to get sharpened.  Feel free to send in a PM if you'd prefer.

435-896-3994
(01-16-2022, 02:39 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Is this the Moviron system you ordered?

Yes Curt. See how the jig can clamp on so you get any angle. But you don't need to use the jig. The kit has some stones that don't fit the jig.
(01-17-2022, 03:40 PM)fast_randy Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 02:39 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Is this the Moviron system you ordered?

Yes Curt. See how the jig can clamp on so you get any angle. But you don't need to use the jig. The kit has some stones that don't fit the jig.

OK, looks like a good sharpening tool, thanks Randy.
(01-16-2022, 03:48 AM)kentofnsl Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 06:33 PM)jamon_negro Wrote:

435-896-3994
Thank you!  I have an extra head that is really dull and I might get daring and try on my own after the suggestions from Fast Randy.  I'll let you know how it goes
Jamon, I would suggest putting the dull one back on the auger unless you can get the head in a vice or some way to hold it secure while you are sharpening it.
(01-19-2022, 03:53 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Jamon, I would suggest putting the dull one back on the auger unless you can get the head in a vice or some way to hold it secure while you are sharpening it.

Will do.  Thank you for the advice!