Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum PM 1/21
Had the opportunity to mix work with pleasure and fished Hyrum for a couple hours Friday afternoon from 2:30 - 4:30.  In one word, it was "slow".  We tried off the swim beach in 34-36 FOW and only iced a couple dink perch.  Since I only had until 4:30 to fish, and with nothing happening at the swim beach (didn't look like anyone else in the area was catching anything either), we decided to head over to the car bodies and give that area a go.  My brother was taking some 12-13 year olds out the next morning, so the thought was to hopefully narrow down the lake for their trip the next morning.  We drilled 7-8 holes in the vicinity of the bodies and were in anywhere from 20 - 35 FOW.  Mostly the same result.  5-6 perch, mostly dinks, between 3 of us from about 4-4:45.  One of the perch though was what my brother called "the fattest 11.5" perch he had ever seen", but he caught that one after I had to leave, so I didn't get to see it.  We used most of the standard tackle for perch and tipped them with crawler, waxies and spikes.  We didn't mark many fish, and those that were there were pretty tight-lipped.

Was nice to meet 2knots and Obifishkenobi off the swim beach.  I think 2knots likes his location, so hopefully, they did better than we did.  

Oh yeah, after the slow afternoon at Hyrum, my brother ended up fishing Mantua with the boys this morning.  From what I heard, they did well in the southeast part of the lake, 9-12 FOW.  They caught trout and bluegill in the weed beds,  No perch though which was odd.
We had pretty much the same result, makes quite a few fish but couldn’t get them to go, oh well that’s fishing. When we headed back in as we were driving past your brother we saw him hooked up and Obi saw the fish. It was a nice one. I went down to see what was going on around 11 and lots of people out but didn’t see much on the ice in fish. Nice meeting you guys.
Last Saturday I left my set of planks at swimbeach for others to use. Are they still there or did someone need the lumber?
They sure got a lot of use last week.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(01-22-2022, 10:28 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Last Saturday I left my set of planks at swimbeach for others to use. Are they still there or did someone need the lumber?

They were there on Tuesday, yesterday I went in at the launch and rode the sled up so didn’t see if they were there
(01-22-2022, 10:28 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Last Saturday I left my set of planks at swimbeach for others to use. Are they still there or did someone need the lumber?

Thanks Hue the was nice of you, the ice is likely good but i looked scratchy when we were there, so we used your planks.

MWscott- Not sure it is true on every trip but the morning bite seems to be better there.
Glad to hear that they are being used. I made them to get my snowdog on and off the ice. When I left Saturday, the edges were bad and still lots of people on the ice. I felt good about it so hearing this is more than worth the 2 pieces of old wood.
Yep, the planks were there. Edges were decent on Fri, but thank you.

WiperHunter - yes, I wanted to fish the AM, but work wouln't let me, dang it! It was a gorgeous afternoon to be on the ice though. Lots of fishing, just not much catching.
I've never head of the "car bodies", something to look for....
(01-24-2022, 05:54 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: I've never head of the "car bodies",  something to look for....
Cars are just East of the ramp.

[Image: hyrum-cars.jpg]

[Image: hyrum-ramp.jpg]
(01-24-2022, 05:54 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: I've never head of the "car bodies",  something to look for....

As Burley showed in his pics, it is between the ramp and swim beach.
Ha! I might have been right on top of them once, the first time I ever ice-fished Hyrum a couple years ago, in fact, and not known it. Water was deeper and we had no sonar, but the couple snags I lost jigs to were solid and unyielding, while the perch were coming through the hole like rockets.

We were working our way from the ramp along the shore to the swim beach, drilling holes zig-zag from 18 to about 35 feet of water that day.