Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quail Creek
Fished Quail Creek on Thursday. Not quite as cold as standing on the ice at Strawberry  Cool . Started trolling about 8:00 am and off the water about 11:30. Trolled downriggers with Kokanee gear at 15 and 19'. It was a 20 trout day. Watched the sonar for schools of pan fish. Only found one likely school, but when I dropped down with a baited jig, up came another trout. 

Wednesday was an "off fishing" day. We made an attempt on Angel Landing. Only made it half way as we ran into icy trails and we had left our ice cleats at home. With cleats it is very doable. Even half way is a challenging hike so very enjoyable. Winter is definitely the time to hit Zions. The Nat'l Parks make it nice for us old guys - the year pass is only $20, lifetime $80. 

I just got back north last night and will be thinking about another ice challenge on Soldier Creek for Kokanee - or maybe take a shot at Jordanelle this coming week.
(01-23-2022, 05:07 AM)brookie Wrote: Fished Quail Creek on Thursday. Not quite as cold as standing on the ice at Strawberry  Cool . Started trolling about 8:00 am and off the water about 11:30. Trolled downriggers with Kokanee gear at 15 and 19'. It was a 20 trout day. Watched the sonar for schools of pan fish. Only found one likely school, but when I dropped down with a baited jig, up came another trout. 

Wednesday was an "off fishing" day. We made an attempt on Angel Landing. Only made it half way as we ran into icy trails and we had left our ice cleats at home. With cleats it is very doable. Even half way is a challenging hike so very enjoyable. Winter is definitely the time to hit Zions. The Nat'l Parks make it nice for us old guys - the year pass is only $20, lifetime $80. 

I just got back north last night and will be thinking about another ice challenge on Soldier Creek for Kokanee - or maybe take a shot at Jordanelle this coming week.

Sounds like a good day were they all smaller planters? Good luck with the kokes.
Mostly 10-14" planters. 1, 18" and 1, 16" were the only larger fish. All are still swimming.
Yeah...hard to keep those planter size off the hooks at Quail Creek this time of year, but fun none the less! I've caught a few over 20" there over the years, they're in there.