Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sleeping bags
I just returned from an overnight trip to FG. Since the nighttime hours after 10 or 12 aren't very productive we decided to try sleeping in a separate tent. My brother just dozed in his chair while I tried to get some sleep in a bag on a cot. Didn't work out so great. The bag was too small especially since I was wearing all my clothes including a jacket and coat. I could barely move but I didn't get cold. Would probably have frozen if I had dressed down to my jammies. Anyway, I'm on the lookout for a big, roomy, warm, rectangular bag. I hope some of you can make recommendations. I don't think $100 0° bags will do it. I want something like -20 to -35° and expect to pay at least $150 or so. It also needs to be roomy. Anybody help?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(01-24-2022, 09:20 PM)catchinon Wrote: I just returned from an overnight trip to FG. Since the nighttime hours after 10 or 12 aren't very productive we decided to try sleeping in a separate tent. My brother just dozed in his chair while I tried to get some sleep in a bag on a cot. Didn't work out so great. The bag was too small especially since I was wearing all my clothes including a jacket and coat. I could barely move but I didn't get cold. Would probably have frozen if I had dressed down to my jammies. Anyway, I'm on the lookout for a big, roomy, warm, rectangular bag. I hope some of you can make recommendations. I don't think $100 0° bags will do it. I want something like -20 to -35° and expect to pay at least $150 or so. It also needs to be roomy. Anybody help?

yes you want the 0 deg, then you get some fleece blankets in it,  just like how you layer your clothing to be out in the cold, get nice fluffy ones,  sew up the bottom a zipper if needed,  get or make a cowboy bed roll, mine is homemade out of canvas tarps, remember to layer, I have been tent camping in on the late season elk muzzle hunt and deer before then ,  layer then you can adjust cover per how cold it is,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Hey Mike I need to try that bedroll thing, I used extra blankets and they work great until they slip off during the night then I get cold, I had a chilly deer hunt this year, it snowed on us and we didn't take any heaters with us, so the lower teens at night made for a chilly night of sleeping... I think the bedroll keeping the covers on would work great, is that just like a bigger canvas sleeping bag to put the rest inside of and hold them all together? Sounds like it would really help me out... Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Believe me it has been learned the hard way, me and my brother have about froze to the ground, put on frozen boots waiting for the truck to warm up, now I think I sleep better than at home, I have 8 inches of foam, a couple to adjust for a sloping ground, I have a canvas tarp I can zip up the side keep dirt off the bag and one more layer, its a zero bag, 3 fleece blankets, a fuzzy pillow cover, the biggest thing is to keep the cold coming up from the bottom, (foam at least 6 inch) make sure your bag is long so you can cuddle down in on the coldest night,

Does thins mean I win the contest for best sleeping bag?

I for got, I also take a wool Nappy blanket, with the canvas cover you can get a way with a siesta with out taking you boots off.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Sound great.... and I think you win.... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I agree insulating from the bottom is key. I use a twin mattress and to date I have just used a bunch of blankets layered up. I have 2 king comforters that wrap around the underside of the mattress to stay in place as a top layer. A medium layer of an opened up flat sleeping bag. Base layer is a sheet, comforter and fleece blanket. I have stayed plenty warm on really cold nights with this setup, my plan is to incorporate the new 0° xl sleeping bag i just bought as an intermediate layer to keep everything held together and seal up the sides.